• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS 1.5 vs 2.0 vs KMW

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
Ok my barreled action is almost done. It's a 26" Kreiger heavy varmet in a rem 700LA. It's chambered in 7mm rem mag. I am looking at the Terry cross sentinel which is a beast of a stock but I have a couple concerns. With a very long rifle my concern is that when in my low drag pack the stock is going to stick up 10+" over my head and make it hard to navigate the woods. Because of that I was thinking maybe the AICS folder. I like the weight of the AICS because I want to be able to spot my impacts and the fact that I think I can get an AICS in hand rather quickly.

Question I have is is the 2.0 that big of advantage over the 1.5 for those that have them? 275.00 seams steep for a folding mechanism and I could go muzzle up to help with being top heavy if I had to.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Merritt

i love my AI 2.0's and i have 2 sentinels, love them too. if you want a traditional style stock that folds look into manners folders, very very nice stocks.

the AI is't light to begin with i would never have one that didn't fold, its a awesome feature to that stock. the KMW is my favorite traditional stock out there, manners t5a is also very nice as are anything Tom and company make

yep shouldn't be a problem, AI's fit large recoil lugs.

i would venture to take a look at the whiskey 3 chassis as well. another great folding option. Have one of those as well and like it alot.

We own both the 2.0 and the KMW. My wife uses a 2.0 and carries it folded, barrel up in the LowDrag pack.. with a 28 in barrel it is the most comfortable way to go for her. I know several folks who use the 2.0 or AX and carry them folded, muzzle down with 28 in bbs and don't have any issues. If you are suppressed, there is no option, must be muzzle up..
The KMW just fits like any other stock. Carry it muzzle down and the stock sticks up out the top...I had a GS2 for a while and carried the KMW bbl up with a can on a 28" bbl... PITA!!! Sold the pack and use a sling.
Is the money worth it...your call...but the compact option is very nice for traveling.

Time: Unless you have a lead on a KMW, you might want to look hard at the 2.0 or AX...Terry has a great stock, but unless things have changed, you won't see one for many months...

Enjoy

Last edited:
The stocks feel fairly different too, even though they're both thumbhole stocks.

I have a 1.5 with viperskins and a 20" barrel, it's tipping the scales right around 18lbs give or take, the AICS chassis is not light and with that long barrel I'm guessing you will be around 20 + lbs on the gun alone. Since you're going to be humping this stick around I'd highly recommend anything that folds to reduce the height or you will be hating life after about 200 meters into the bush as that barrel sticking up snags everything and or makes you feel top heavy.

I'd also recommend a lighter chassis than the AICS and like BigJoe, would point you to the Whiskey 3 chassis. I also have one of these set up with a 20" barrel and it is right around the 12-13lb range. Now I don't know how far you plan on carrying this stick or for how long but as someone who lives out of their ruck and carry's everything they own on their back, I seriously look at what stuff weighs and the pros and cons of everything's weight. Only you know what you plan on doing and how far you anticipate walking the bush with it so my advice is to look at something lighter than the AICS chassis unless you feel that humping the extra weight is worth it.

Last edited:
Also will my Badger recoil lug fit in the AICS?

I had to have the front side of the lug opening milled on my AICS with the new style skins. I don't have the measurements wrote down but it had to be opened up about 60 thousands.

I've been behind the AICS (never owned one though) and they just don't do it for me. The pistol grip just doesn't feel right in my hand - others of course have the exact opposite experience with them... I've owned a Sentinel, and it is by far my favorite traditional stock. It is wonderfully balanced and extremely comfortable to shoot from multiple positions (again, just my experience). The trouble with the Sentinels is availability - they are darned hard to find. I got mine used right here on the 'Hide after months of searching.

I'd have to agree with BigJoe though... If you are looking for a folder, consider a Whiskey 3. I have a non-folding Whiskey 3, and I love everything about it. Reports on the reliability/functioning of the folding mechanism are all good to my knowledge.

How is the Mcree when it comes to handling a long action magnium? I have seen very good things from them in short action non-mag calibers but womdering how they would hold up against the added HP.

Thank you all for posting,
Merritt

A sentinal is worth the wait. I also have 2 Manners T5's one being the A model. I have never been a big AICS fan even though I know that they are very well made. I love thumbhole stocks.

I have a Manners TF1 as well which I love and ofcourse a few McM A5's too. I am also fond of my HS stocks.

There are alot of great stocks out there. My new choice is a sentinal or MCST5- then a McM A5- then the HS Precision stocks.
Thats just my preference.

Good luck.

How is the Mcree when it comes to handling a long action magnium? I have seen very good things from them in short action non-mag calibers but womdering how they would hold up against the added HP.

Merritt

I found the Mcree's to be well built,very solid but heavy and blocky/unfinished feeling in general to me. The folding mechanism is solid and locks in good with no wiggle when open. It is also reasonably priced compared to the others mentioned so far.

I can weigh in here too...
I have 3 McRee's. They are all set up the same. Folding stocks with Magpul CTR and check risers. The stocks are all the carbine version with short hand guards. Until I sold the bbl, my 280AI was in one of these stocks. I thought it was great. I would have to check, but with a 28 in med. palma and an HDMR scope, I think it only weighed 14 pounds. I did modify a recoil pad and added a limbsaver to the stock for use with the L/A... I carried the rifle all last year while hunting...No brush here, but I did pack it in the breaks without any issues...
Try one, the price and availability are great..

Merritt

I had to have the front side of the lug opening milled on my AICS with the new style skins. I don't have the measurements wrote down but it had to be opened up about 60 thousands.

Didn't have a badger recoil lug but it was a thicker one. I also had to have my AICS opened up a bit.

I have the 1.5 and 2.0 AICS stocks. I actually upgraded to the 2.0 because I like the option of shortening my rigg when I want. I now have the ability to use smaller rifle cases, shorter drag bags the list goes on. There is an advantage over the 1.5. As far as does it warrant the cost that's up to you. It's your money, no one else's; but I like the upgrade.