• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS 1.5 VS Mcmillan A5 adj.

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
Is there a difference in accuracy between a custom build being done on an AICS vs. an A5? Or is the difference ergonomics and end user preference?

Thanks,
Jack

Re: AICS 1.5 VS Mcmillan A5 adj.

Understood. Compare the same barreled actions one into an AICS and one into an A5 by the same Custom builder...

For real, it boils down to ergonomics and what you prefer. Look at it this way. You can grab AICS 1.5 and go. Or, you can go with a Mcmillan stock, have it bedded, and throw in a magazine system. They both basically equal out costwise in the long run. I actually prefer Mcmillan or Manners just for the fact that I do not like thumbhole styled stocks.

Personal preferance once everything is put together the same like mottom metal/bedding and such. Me I'm +1 for the thumbholes. Love em.

Looking forward to trying Terry Crosses thunbhole design at KMW rifles. That should be a lighter and better wielding design.

Good luck,
JamieD

I wouldn't turn down either one. The best thing is to feel them in person and see which you like better. Personally I don't like the feel of the AI stocks but like of them

You can get an A-5 or Manners T-4 down to a weight about 1 3/4 to 2 pounds less than the AICS 1.5. All have there pros and cons.
Weight is a factor to me. It is not needed to bed an AICS but some do, heard that some have shot better after bedding and some have not. Mine isn't bedded and shoots great. For prone it's fine, but lugging around a 20 lb rifle in tactical matches can be troublesome to say the least. Especially when shooting from diff positions.

A lot of personal preference, obviously, but I have had both. I sold the 1.5 because I fell into the hate portion of the love it or hate it deal.

Very uncomfortable to me, and although I didnt weigh it, it seemed very heavy. Did seem bombproof, though.

I am just a lot more comfortable with an A5. I would also include Manners in the discussion if I were you.

I have two AICS stocks, and the only problem i have with them is finding the proper rear bag. I just ordered my first Mcmillan A5 so i dont know how i feel about this stock yet. Lee

Well, you can break it down by price too. A 1.5 is going to run you around $750-$800??? You dont have to bed it, you dont have to finish it. You dont have the cost of detachable box magazine or bottom metal. So you could argue that the AICS is a better value. But again, like everybody else said, its how it feels. I have a Manners and its very nice!

In terms of weight, the aics stock is heavier. I have both a McMillan A-5 sniper fill with varmint barrel contour with wheel adjustable cheekrest and spacer system and also an AICS 1.5 in Olive Drab. Like others before it's all personal preference. If you like thumbholes then the AICS stock may be the stock for you. I have found that I can cycle the bolt a lot faster on the McMillan and another stock that I have (the H-S precision PST-025). Just look it up on youtube and do a search on Remington tactical rapid fire (I am the one wearing the red shirt).