• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS 2.0

NRAShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Is it me or has anyone else found the AICS 2.0 SA is a heavy stock and kinda awkard to use for some positions like offhand and kneeling?

Are there any other good all postion stocks? Had a MM Billy Baker stock which was ok. Have the H&S PST 025 on a H&S HTR which is good, but not quite perfect. Need a good lightweight, rigid all position stock which takes AI mags. I know the tube gun set ups are totally ergo, but want something a little more traditional.

Anyone?

Re: AICS 2.0

Yes, I would have to agree with you on the AICS 2.0. But I grew to like the stock along with the weight of the complete rifle. I actually shoot better with the AICS for some reason. I ended up buying 3 more after my initial purchase.

As far as any other stock good for most hunting positions, I like the stock on my Gap Rock. I think it's a standard hunter or HTG. My A4 and A5, to me, are about as limitedas, comfort wise, as the AICS.

JMHO

Yeah I'm looking for one (700 RH SA) if you don't want it. I don't even care what color it is if you're willing to let it go for a decent discount.

Mines set up for a Surgeon 591 with a GAP No. 7 barrel contour. I am not sure it will be compatible with your action.

It is heavy.... but I got used to it. it's a hate it or love it stock... I gave it a chance and I'm learning slowly and adapt to it's ergonomics.

Heavy, but I love mine.....
015-3.jpg

016-4.jpg

Can anybody shoot all four positions with this stock? Standing is ok, but really tough, kneeling is akward as the full field of view is not there, sitting I can't get the right eye relief without getting cut by the scope and prone is perfect. A one position stock is limited for me.

My AICS looks cooler than shit. I love it for that reason, but start to hate it when I need to shoot it.

Are the stock spacers the solution as thumb screws don't hold shit?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anybody shoot all four positions with this stock? Standing is ok, but really tough, kneeling is akward as the full field of view is not there, sitting I can't get the right eye relief without getting cut by the scope and prone is perfect. A one position stock is limited for me.

My AICS looks cooler than shit. I love it for that reason, but start to hate it when I need to shoot it.

Are the stock spacers the solution as thumb screws don't hold shit? </div></div>

It sounds like you just need to adjust the stock more specifically to each position. As far as the thumb screws not holding, I'd suggest giving the new AI cheekpiece thumbscrews a shot - they hold extremely well due to the brass inserts on the tip of the screw.

Its heavy,...one or two shoot these in Civilian Service Rifle competition here and its obvious that on snaps/timed standing and kneeling they struggle. Its a great chassis off the bi-pod, but even extended "sling only" shooting is very tiring.

+1.....IMHO, unless you are using one on Ops and your life and those of others depend on immediate action and doing it otherwise, AW family rifles are best shot off a bipod or front bag/support....even with a sling things can get difficult pretty quickly.

That being said, I've never had any problem with the eye relief on the rare occasions I have used it in other than prone.

If I was in a competition that required the rifle to be shot any other way than off a bipod....I'd probably be looking at using something other than an AW or AICS....maybe something in a McM ADJ HTG or a Manners??

Just my £0.02

P.S...just to avoid any confusion...my AW is still far and away my favourite rifle.
laugh.gif

I set the AI up for prone, since that is where you will find the greatest accuracy.

All other positions are a minor compromise.

I don't bother adjusting the rifle for each position since that would be time prohibitive in most cases.

I have shot standing, kneeling, sitting and prone without difficulty. This is with a Razor HD that benefits greatly from proper cheek weld and eye relief.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it me or has anyone else found the AICS 2.0 SA is a heavy stock and kinda awkard to use for some positions like offhand and kneeling?

Are there any other good all postion stocks? Had a MM Billy Baker stock which was ok. Have the H&S PST 025 on a H&S HTR which is good, but not quite perfect. Need a good lightweight, rigid all position stock which takes AI mags. I know the tube gun set ups are totally ergo, but want something a little more traditional.

Anyone? </div></div>

A good compromise for me was the McMillan A-3 or the Manners T2. They work good for me in all positions but YMMV. You can get them fairly light or as heavy as you want.

Lone Wolf

I think you are right. I will look into some of the other stocks you mentioned.

The AICS is incredibly rugged. In the meantime, I'll give SRT a call and look at their brass tiped stock screws. Anyone else try them?

HTG off the bat. However I was very surprised at the way the a4 rode a sling when I ran it off the opp side flush and wrapped below and around the stock. Rode the front hand very well.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NRAShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lone Wolf

I think you are right. I will look into some of the other stocks you mentioned.

The AICS is incredibly rugged. In the meantime, I'll give SRT a call and look at their brass tiped stock screws. Anyone else try them?</div></div>

To order the AI cheekpiece thumbscrews, just go here:

http://store.accuracyinternationalsrt.co...humbscrews.html

If you're of average size maybe just get a takeoff HS stock from a factory 700? They are light and stiff although they don't offer any of the adjustments that more custom stocks have. After that, the mcmillan "hunter" / HTG ? stocks are nice as they are a bit heavier and have a cheek rest.

I love the AICS stock but I don't think it's an offhand, hunting stock. More like a target stock for prone/bench shooting.

I have an AICS 2.0 coming on a new build so can't comment on it yet.

As for the McM HTG and HTG w/adjustable cheek, for me 100% one of the easiest all-around stocks to shoot with no matter the position I was in. When time comes to buy another stock for a build it'll be an HGT adjustable.

Todd