• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS 308 -> 223 Magazine Modification Thread?

GBMaryland

Herr Oberst
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 24, 2008
    Maryland, US
    Folks,

At some point someone posted a thread for making a 223 mag from a 308 AI AICS magazine. Can anyone find that thread? I've got the pre-change of SH link, but can't find it using a search on the new system.

Basically, it appears that no one has 223 mags, but I've got a ton of 308 AICS mags.

Soooo... I'd like to be able to use the stock I've got on my 700 SPS Tactical [an AICS 1.5], and actually feed it 223 rounds while I wait for the AICS magazines to show up again.

Any help on the creation of a 223 magazine from a 308 mag for the Remington 700 in an AICS chassis would be appreciated. (I know I saw a write up on here, and I've been able to find the link externally...)

GB

Where at in md are you? If you're not too far, I can sit down with ya sometime and show you in person how to do it. It's very easy and will last forever. No need to buy the 223 polymer mags after you convert the 308 mags.

Where at in md are you? If you're not too far, I can sit down with ya sometime and show you in person how to do it. It's very easy and will last forever. No need to buy the 223 polymer mags after you convert the 308 mags.

Gaithersburg area... Man, that'd be awesome.

I see how they did it, and it doesn't horribly difficult... But it would be nice to know what kind of flat stock to use to line the mag with, etc.

I know where you are then. I work in Howard county. If you'd like to meet up sometime, let me know. Or if you like, I can convert one of my mags to accept 223 and trade you for one of your 308 mags. I use accurate mags, they're exactly the same as aics mags.

Why destroy an 80$ mag to make a 25$ one?!?

If you can find any AICS 223 mags, that might be a true statement.

...but you can't.

For me, it costs $225 for a TRG-42 mag, so I don't think an $80 mag is a really big deal.... Especially, if it works!

I believe Accurate Mag sells a converted mag for 223

Last edited:
    I believe Accurate Mag sells a converted mag for 223

You are correct. I called them up and they sell their Teflon coated steel mags with a plastic insert that makes them 10 round 223 mags.

They are more expensive, at $70.00... But you can also get them, which is not possible with the AI plastic 223 for the short action AICS stock.