• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS airsoft build done. It came out great!

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
I have been looking for a 40x action for a while to build a trainer action to use in my AICS stock. I never found one for a price I wanted to pay. I really only want the trainer to work on positional shooting. Most matches I shoot are mostly prone. So I came across builds people had done using airsoft stocks. I had been looking for one for months and finally located a used stock. I picked it up for $80 it was a complete stock and barreled action. No bolt or mag. I would of liked the mag but ultimately I decided against using one so I can have several 22 magazines so I am not constantly loading as I shoot. I ended up ordering a marlin 22 with a threaded barrel. I chose this one based on a build I saw on the forum where the guy said it was damn near made to fit the airsoft stock. He was not kidding. The work to fit the action to the stock was very easy. The front screw goes into a pillar in the barrel which locates the trigger perfectly and the pillar matches the size and location the airsoft action had. I had to slot the rear hole in the stock to line up to the rear action screw. I made aluminum bedding blocks on the mill to mount the action to the stock so it would have a solid foundation. I played around with the height untill I got it perfect. Just the right trigger placement, safety clears the skins, bolt placement as well as serial number is not obstructed (not a big issue either way) and the mag protrudes just enough to be easy to swap out. I also drilled the AICS mag realease and the marlin mag release. I still need to create a link to connect them. That will make mag changes very easy. I also plan on making a mag well filler so inserting mags will be effortless but it may not be needed. So far it is quite easy to change mags.
I added an old scope I had laying around and clipped on a bipod for the first trip out but will swap it out for the atlas once I start using it more often. I just got in 3 10rd mags. My cost for the build was less than $300 not counting the add ons I had laying around. It came out great! I am looking forward to having some time to hit the range. Now I need to get my butt in gear and get the suppressor built.
aics22005_zps05d039b2.jpg

aics22001_zps7a4300cd.jpg

aics22007_zps609355a2.jpg

aics22004_zps2b829cb7.jpg

Gr8 job, im currently looking for a used airsoft stock for my cz thumbhole varmint.Pics like yours make me jealous !!

Im going to have to build one for my son that is all I have heard since I showed him these threads on .22 rifles like this.

looks great, there is a guy here that made the same linkage the op was talking about doing.

i have it saved, but have to figure out how or if it can be retrieved with the new forum. if i figure it out i'll post it up. here's the linkies to similiar projects if someone can figure it out:
REVIEW of AICS Airsoft stock for Rimfire Conversion
CZ455 Varmint into AICS airsoft stock
MARLIN 800 SERIES IN AICS (AIRSOFT) STOCK
Savage MKII IN AIRSOFT AICS
ANOTHER SAVAGE MKII INTO AICS AIRSOFT STOCK
XT22 in AICS airsoft stock
IZHMASH CM-2 INTO AICS
SAVAGE MKII (FVSR) IN AICS

AIRSOFT SOURCES OF SUPPLY:
http://www.evike.com/index.php?cPath=21_504
http://www.airsplat.com/Categories/SCRAP-YARD.htm
http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/Categories/94-Boneyard-Airsoft-Guns-at-Airsoft-Megastore.aspx
http://www.airrattle.com/Boneyard_Airsoft_Gun_s/24.htm
http://www.airsoftgi.com/index.php?cPath=275
http://www.trinityairsoft.com/c-205-airsoft-boneyard.aspx

i love my CZ 455varmint folder conversion, though i removed the rear "spike" as it's a bit squishy to have in there even retracted an using a bag. but for $100.00ish and some time the airsoft stock is tough to beat for looks and function.

being a leftie, i got shorter screws at home depot to replace the cheekpiece thumbscrews as the originals stuck out too much for comfort.

Well it is snowing like crazy so I ended up going to the indoor range so I could try the rifle out. I rounded up all my assorted ammo and zeroed and did some testing. Unfortunately shooting off a small range bench was a little wobbly. However it was good enough to let me know what the gun likes. Fiocchi super match pistol ammo would put them all in a hole at 25yds, cci mini mags were second, it shot great but I had an occasional flier(not sure if it was me or the ammo) 3rd was federal gold medal match followed by federal target match. The last 2 were double to triple the group size of the cci MM. I asked if I could shoot prone for a few mags to shoot a couple groups to test the ammo. I got the funniest look from the range officer. They know me, I did not think it would be an issue but the answer was a strange "no".
I will have to make a range trip once the weather clears up so I can really get in a good position and see what the gun can really do. However the Fiocchi shot notably better than the rest every time so I am guessing it will still win out over the rest. I cannot find any ammo locally so further ammo testing may have to wait a while.
All in all it shot great. I am quite happy with how the gun shoots.

pics werent showing up on my android phone. weird

looks great man. i have the same stock but with a Savage MKII. im trying to get an AR15 CASV quad rail to fit on it.

have you thought about JB welding your magazine to the G96 magazine?

Unfortunately I did not get a mag with the stock. I had planned to do that.
I did order 3 10 rd magazines so I would not have to keep reloading the 1 7rd mag it came with. I figure if I had a full size mag body on one it would not get used much so I am not looking to hunt one down. It would look cool though.

I just looked on my phone and the photos do not show up here either???
I did locate a couple boxes of lapua, sk and eley to try out. I just need to find out what it shoots really well and then try to pick up a case of it.

Unfortunately I did not get a mag with the stock. I had planned to do that.
I did order 3 10 rd magazines so I would not have to keep reloading the 1 7rd mag it came with. I figure if I had a full size mag body on one it would not get used much so I am not looking to hunt one down. It would look cool though.

I just looked on my phone and the photos do not show up here either???
I did locate a couple boxes of lapua, sk and eley to try out. I just need to find out what it shoots really well and then try to pick up a case of it.

might be a photobucket issue displaying on mobile phones

looks great, there is a guy here that made the same linkage the op was talking about doing.

i have it saved, but have to figure out how or if it can be retrieved with the new forum. if i figure it out i'll post it up. here's the linkies to similiar projects if someone can figure it out:
REVIEW of AICS Airsoft stock for Rimfire Conversion
CZ455 Varmint into AICS airsoft stock
MARLIN 800 SERIES IN AICS (AIRSOFT) STOCK
Savage MKII IN AIRSOFT AICS
ANOTHER SAVAGE MKII INTO AICS AIRSOFT STOCK
XT22 in AICS airsoft stock
IZHMASH CM-2 INTO AICS
SAVAGE MKII (FVSR) IN AICS

AIRSOFT SOURCES OF SUPPLY:
http://www.evike.com/index.php?cPath=21_504
http://www.airsplat.com/Categories/SCRAP-YARD.htm
http://www.airsoftmegastore.com/Categories/94-Boneyard-Airsoft-Guns-at-Airsoft-Megastore.aspx
http://www.airrattle.com/Boneyard_Airsoft_Gun_s/24.htm
http://www.airsoftgi.com/index.php?cPath=275
http://www.trinityairsoft.com/c-205-airsoft-boneyard.aspx

i love my CZ 455varmint folder conversion, though i removed the rear "spike" as it's a bit squishy to have in there even retracted an using a bag. but for $100.00ish and some time the airsoft stock is tough to beat for looks and function.

being a leftie, i got shorter screws at home depot to replace the cheekpiece thumbscrews as the originals stuck out too much for comfort.

I cant get any of the links to work in the top section, am I doing something wrong? Thanks

Me either. I was wondering the same thing.

Id really love to read the articles, we got my son a Marlin 17 with the heavy barrel and laminated stock, the sucker can drive tacks. Id like to get him of these stocks, but cant figure out which one will fit with the least amount of cutting/grinding.

Did you take any pics as you were building it. I would like to see them if you did.

t....

ammo test

I got out to the range today. I tested 13 diffrent types of ammo. I shot 10 shot groups at 50 yards. eley team in the blue box was the hands down winner. It shot 9 all touching and 1 outside the group slightly. a quarter will cover the whole group with room to spare. lapua center x shot in the upper end as far as groups but not much better than some lower priced options. I shot a few groups of all the better performers and they pretty much mirrored the first ones. eley match in the black box did not shoot well.
The interesting thing was how some grouped right, left, of center. there was nearly no wind at all when I was shooting these groups. they also varied quite a bit in elevation ofcourse I was shooting velocity's that were all over the map.

Last edited:
here are some photos I took on my phone so I would know what was what when i got home.

Attachments

• 2013-03-03_13-43-13_482.jpg
    2013-03-03_13-43-13_482.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 15
  • 2013-03-03_13-43-21_445.jpg
    2013-03-03_13-43-21_445.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 2013-03-03_13-42-53_8.jpg
    2013-03-03_13-42-53_8.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 19
splitting the block and cut into pieces and test fit. the mounting points match the size of the original mounting points in the tupperware stock.

Attachments

• 2013-02-16_14-53-52_530 (1).jpg
    2013-02-16_14-53-52_530 (1).jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 2013-02-16_21-02-53_396 (1).jpg
    2013-02-16_21-02-53_396 (1).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 27
I am new to this forum and so all of this type stuff is new to me. I really like the looks of the Arisoft stocked MKII. I've never seen or held an airsoft rifle. What is the stock quality like. Is this just for looks or is this a conversion capable of field work. For some reason links don't work for me on this forum. I asume it is the lack of post from me not bumping up a security level or something.

I am new to this forum and so all of this type stuff is new to me. I really like the looks of the Arisoft stocked MKII. I've never seen or held an airsoft rifle. What is the stock quality like. Is this just for looks or is this a conversion capable of field work. For some reason links don't work for me on this forum. I asume it is the lack of post from me not bumping up a security level or something.

a lot of the airsoft stocks are not made of cheap plastic. there are higher quality brands out there that have durable polymer plastic which is why they cost over $200-$400 for it. these are made to go out in the airsoft field and hold up to the abuse. also there's other airsoft stocks out there made of full metal.

the one mostly used is the WELLS G96 AICS stock which has good plastic compared to the cheaper L96 stock thats smaller in scale. G96 is the closest 1:1 scaled replica. The L96 is a 3/4 scaled and has that cheap plastic feel. The G96 has an aluminum bar inside to help you bed the action.

I took a comparision pic of these two. I'll find it.

Thanks Defcon. I'll plan a trip to Academy to look at airsoft rifles. This is something I would like to try.

great to see other people going this route. and lots of good info on this post.

the trainer I built, I am not even sure its based off a current rifle, just looked nice in pics so I ordered it and started cutting.

I think I might have to tackle this project for mine as well. Depending on how well the Tacticool shoots that is... we will see.

DK

Maccrazy2-Hi, I'm new here and just got a WELL G96 from airsplat today (it's in the mail). That is awesome to have access to those machines and skills to make the bedding blocks. Doing a FVSR as well. Any tips for someone whom might not have that type of resources (not sure I can get my brother-in-law to bring non-work related stuff into his machine shop.

Can you use acraglass and or drill boxed aluminum or something like that instead of your amazing set-up? Amazing job by the way!

It all depends on what you use and how it fits together. I tried to mimic the mating surfaces that were in the original stock. It does not have a ton of surface area but is very rigid. I used the wells g96 stock that has the aluminum frame and is quite well made for an airsoft gun. I wouldent build one up for a centerfire action but for a rimfire it is alot more rigid than the original stock. I had planned on bedding the blocks and action together but the gun shoots good enough as is so I never bothered. The only issue I have with the stock is it has just the slightest play in the hinge of the folder. It was not loose enough for me to bother messing with it. When I shoot my real AICS it is rock solid. The only time I notice the play is when I go back and forth between guns.
I would recomend laying out the action in the stock and figuring out how the blocks should be made. Measure the reciever diameter and pay someone to make the blocks for you if you want the gun to shoot well. A second option would be to cut up the original stock and use the original mating surfaces on top of the aics chassis. However the plastic would have to be cut thin so it may be too weak. as well as the action may sit too high.

I just made a deal to get a remington 40XB so I can put it in my real AICS stock and create an exact weight/balance practice setup for positional shooting practice. I likely will be putting this gun up for sale in the near future. At this point I am keeping it but I am sure I will be buying a new trigger, bolt handle knob and threading, ect.... for the new action so likely it will go up for sale to fund that endeavor. I will give the hide first shot at it before putting it up on gunbroker if I sell it.

I would really like to put my fvsr in an all aluminum chassis. Does anyone know of a fairly cheap airsoft chassis that will work ?

I know this is an older thread , however I was hoping to see if any new information has come up with these chassis? I have a savage rim fire that I would love to have in an ae chassis to replicate my main rifles!

If any one has one or knows where one can be purchased please let me know!