• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AICS and Jewell HVR fit?

Swan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
San Diego, CA
Just installed trigger. Safety doesn't work due to rubbing on inside of aluminum wall. This is a Rem700 short action. Has anyone had to dremel these stocks to get them to fit the Jewell? Stock has already been opened a bit by previous owner. The trigger works fine even though the stock seems to be pinching the sides of it. Just worrried about the structural integrity of the stock if I get to dremeling (sp?)

Re: AICS and Jewell HVR fit?

I filed down the rivets on the safety; it worked for me but it isn't the prefered way of a gunsmith! Check w/ Hateca; he can guide you on the right track

The stocks need modified to work with the Jewell. One can do this by hand but it's better in a mill. One can remove just a little to get the action to drop in but in reality it will still be binding or the barreled action is not sitting correctly.

The below pic was done on a mill and is the bare minimum that needed to be removed to allow the Jewell with side safety to move freely.

If you want the action and trigger to be perfectly centered in the stock filing down the rivet isn't going to be the only issue you have. You can actually torque a round barreled action into any un-bedded stock slightly rotated left or right. Without make the cuts to the stock the safety bar will still hit or rub the side and front of the cut-out for the trigger unless you rotate the entire barreled action slightly before you torque it down. Doing it correctly one would want to mill the stock.

Trigger3.jpg

Looks like my dremel will be getting a workout tonight. Not looking forward to this. Thanks for the info.

update: It isnt pretty but I dremeled it out this morning and everything seems ok... I think.

a2.jpg

a.jpg

My GAP was done exactly as pictured...only better, and bad ass bedding job to boot. The dremel may work, but for such stuff I'd have let a pro' take care of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I filed down the rivets on the safety </div></div>

i've done two this way. works for me.

The jewell trigger is wider than the remington, and yes you do have to remove some material in order for a proper fit in this stock. I do it on a milling machine in my shop, but it can be done by hand or with a dremel if you are careful and steady.It is worth the bit of work to have a properly functioning rifle. Good luck. If you have any questions you think I can help you with, please feel free to contact me at suarez tactical rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The jewell trigger is wider than the remington, and yes you do have to remove some material in order for a proper fit in this stock. I do it on a milling machine in my shop, but it can be done by hand or with a dremel if you are careful and steady.It is worth the bit of work to have a properly functioning rifle. Good luck. If you have any questions you think I can help you with, please feel free to contact me at suarez tactical rifles. </div></div>

listen man, people have told you before in your posts. You are not a hide vendor....there are the TOP smiths in the country who pay fees here to advertise. You are more or less imposing your services without having a site sponsorship. I suggest you sign up to be a site sponsor or relax with the contact me here at such and such shop.