• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS and Rem. 700 recoil lug (quick question)

neo223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2008
Arizona
Is the bottom of the Rem 700 recoil lug (.250 wide) suppose to touch the bottom of the AICS recoil lug recess?
Mine needs to be machined and I was wondering how much should be taken off the bottom of the lug.

Thanks.

Re: AICS and Rem. 700 recoil lug (quick question)

The stock is easier to machine than the lug. Unless the stock has already been opened up it will require work to fit the thicker lug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The stock is easier to machine than the lug. Unless the stock has already been opened up it will require work to fit the thicker lug. </div></div>

Just to clarify. My problem is not the thickness of the lug but the length. This is one of the newer stocks that are wide enough for a .250 wide lug. The length is my problem.

We do not recommend making the depth of the recoil slot in the AICS any deeper and if you do you will void any warranty on the AICS. If you are going to cut anything take it off the recoil lug.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

Perhaps a measument of how deep the recoil lug recess is and what it is designed to be from both the OP and Rep. respectivlly?

Also how far the recoil lug sticks out from the bottom of the action?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomirwin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We do not recommend making the depth of the recoil slot in the AICS any deeper and if you do you will void any warranty on the AICS. If you are going to cut anything take it off the recoil lug.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International </div></div>

Thank you very much Tom but I was not planning to touch the AICS slot. My plan is to cut the recoil lug, but what I do not know is how much to cut off the bottom of the lug. Should the lug be resting on the bottom of the recoil slot or just above it? In other words, should there be a space between the bottom of the lug and the bottom of the AICS slot?
thanks.

Leave a couple of thousands space. The grinder is your friend. The fit is not critical.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neo223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomirwin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We do not recommend making the depth of the recoil slot in the AICS any deeper and if you do you will void any warranty on the AICS. If you are going to cut anything take it off the recoil lug.
Tom Irwin
Accuracy International </div></div>

Thank you very much Tom but I was not planning to touch the AICS slot. My plan is to cut the recoil lug, but what I do not know is how much to cut off the bottom of the lug. Should the lug be resting on the bottom of the recoil slot or just above it? In other words, should there be a space between the bottom of the lug and the bottom of the AICS slot?
thanks. </div></div>

You do not want the lug to make bottom contact during receiver torque into the stock. The lug is there to counter recoil force along the bore axis. The receiver itself should fully mate to the stock AICS V-channel bed, not the recoil lug bottom to possibly conflict with this. The recoil lug mating surface of concern would be on the receiver-side face of the lug to the channel.