• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear AICS Bandolier

camocorvette

Send it
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 1, 2010
    Minnesota
    I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to carry multiple 10 round aics mags. I've got some Triad Tactical pouches for on a belt.

I've got a bunch of mags.. But when I'm just going to the range or shooting on the farm. I'd like something more like a bandolier that could hold say 4-6 mags with a strap to just carry them.

Otherwise they float around in the range bage or eagle sniper drag bag.

Does anyone know of anything on the market?
    Or is anyone taking on one off projects I could pay to make this idea a reality?

Thanks in advance

P.s. think m16 Vietnam Era bandolier

A belt is usually better. If you want you can purchase a single SVD pouch set for the Russian Smersh belt system. It will serve your purposes when paired with a belt or strap.

39 bucks on Ebay. Holds 4 SVD mags and 2 grenades.

Thanks I'll look into that. I may just have to break out the sewing machine and make something

download (1).jpgdownload.jpg

Thanks! I think you helped me find my solution. Got to order one and I'll post how well it works.

Should be an easy project if you decided to sew. I made some mag pouches and a sleeve for my can to velcro into my KRG rifle case/mat. Not fancy but keeps things from rattling around.
    20210820_190524.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
    @greentick that looks nice. Yeah I can sew. I just haven't made the time. Need to get some fabric
    Thanks. I bought a pile of that material on a closeout and have been slowly using it up. That was a project I did while stuck home with covid, so I had the time. I really never have the time but can't seem to be happy unless I have too many logs in the fire.

@camocorvette, I've been saving worn pants with blown out crotches for just this project for a handful of years now. In addition to your use, I think having two of these would cover the round count of most 1-day PRS-ish matches: I hate loading magazines out in the blowing dust, and the cost to buy a bunch of extra mags would be nicely offset by sewing up some bandoliers to organize them instead of buying something ready made. Thank you for the kick in the... pants to actually start this project. I've got teeny tiny little legs, they literally do not make Carhartts short enough for me, and I've been meaning to learn how to sew so that I can hem my own trousers like an adult. This project was going to be my chance to sew up some denim that doesn't have to LOOK good but needs to be rock solid, and get some practice in before I start hemming pants I need to wear to work.

Anyway, on to the nuts and bolts -

AICS magazines DO vary slightly between OEMs, but all I have on hand right now are Magpul 10 rounders. Further complicating my measurements, I only have one old Vietnam-era-ish bandolier to measure and only Magpul 20 Round 5.56 NATO STANAG magazines to measure fit. We'll just admit this is FAR from perfect and work with what's in stock for now:

Magpul 20rd 5.56 vs Magpul Short Action AICS Dimensions:

mag dimensions 1.jpg

mag dimensions 2.jpg

After working this out, I decided that I would just add 3/4" to the length measurement (as everything else was already REALLY close) to whatever the old bandolier had for cell width and make a first draft.

So, here's what I had in stock for a Vietnam-era-ish M16 Bandolier:

Vietnam m16 556 Bandolier Dimensions.jpg

Of note - the Vietnam-era-ish 5.56 NATO Bandolier is a 7 cell, and I made my Draft 1 Short Action AICS Bandolier as a 6 cell. Reason here is that adding 0.75" to the 3.75" gives me a nice even 4.5" cell width for the AICS one, and my aforementioned teeny tiny legs only left room for 6 haha. It also came out VERY close to the total finished length of the 5.56 version, and I thought that was neat. It also would hold three boxes evenly, for whatever that's worth. The strap is just an offcut, no rhyme or reason there, and will be about 4" shorter than the 5.56 version. If I had thought further ahead, I could have EASILY gotten a 31" length somewhere. Oh well, I still have the other leg and a pile of other intact pants for next time. Here's where I left things:

Draft 1 Pants Leg AICS 6 Cell Bandolier Dimensions.jpg

That's where we're at for now. I've gone out and purhcased a Singer 6600C "heavy duty" sewing machine that should sew this up no problem. Will update the thread when I've got Draft 1 all sewn up.

By the way, @camocorvette, PM me your address and I'll mail this to ya, free of charge, if you'd be willing to test it out and post your feedback. Bonus nachos if you have a dog's lunch of different makes and models of magazines to test for fit/ease of insertion/extraction. I'm nobody, have a normal job, just doing this for fun and to learn a life skill that I needed to know anyway, yesterday. I'd be happy if folks want to take this design and run with it, make modifications, make a commercial product, whatever you'd like - this is posted under a "Make Cool Shit And Post It On The Internet" license haha.

Thanks all. Forums rock. Thanks to the folks who run this one, it's appreciated. Image hosting ain't cheap.

That's phenomenal! I'm glad I could inspire you by wanting a bandolier haha. I'll get a pm out to you in the am. Thank you!

Hi all, quick update -

Draft 1 is a complete, functional item - I had a great time sewing this up, learned a ton, aaaaaaaand the cells are just a little too tight to be fully usable haha. I could -technically- get magazines into them with three hands and brute force, and removing them wasn't completely awful, but on the whole they need to be bigger for something more than, to be fair, the one-time-use disposable item the original was.

Which is an interesting point: in learning how to blast thread into fabric, I learned about all kinds of methods and materials and best practices for durable goods, which the design I'm copying here... just wasn't. Also, it's clear the original design was sewn on a serger, which is technically a different machine and a different 4-spool process. I found myself weighing the merits of various techniques against the orginal design intent versus the new one (which I very much like, in case that wasn't obvious) without over-doing anything.

So, in short, I'm going to make the cells wider, use some proper techniques (including rotary cutting the fabric, using a cutting mat and ruler to keep the lines straight, using fabric chaulk instead of a sharpie like some fucking caveman, and maybe using webbing for the strap instead of a random offcut) and go for a Draft 2.

@camocorvette, this one is still yours if you want it haha. I'd also be happy to send you Draft 2, which I think I'll be juuuust a little more proud of.

Photos of baby's first sewing project, for anyone who would like a laugh.

frontside draft1.jpg

backside draft1.jpg

In short - you can 100% blast threads into an old pair of pants and end up with a bandolier in about an hour, especially if you don't need it to last very long, by just kinda eyeballing it. For a more durable and functional product, I'd budget more time and a few drafts. I'll learn how sewing folks like to see patterns formatted and will post my final measurements if anybody else wants to do down this rabbithole.

More later.

Last edited:
    That's great to hear. It seems like a good learning experience. I've yet to make time to dabble in this. I look forward to seeing more of your endeavor.

Alright, Draft 2 is complete -

Draft2.jpg

Instead of cutting up some old pants, I came into some official unofficial "OCP" ripoff "Not-Multicam" ripstop in a traditional "fabric by the yard" format for $3 for a shitton, so I worked with that for this draft. Still no webbing for the strap, so it's still an offcut. Anyway, I took advantage of the full 36" width for the strap and neatened up the ends a bit, mostly for ease of construction, but also for a bit of snag prevention.

I increased the cell width to 4.75", and everything is MUCH easier. Insertion still needs both hands but is back to "easy" and extraction can be done one-handed with the offhand.

As you can see by the pictures... she got longer, partially because of the cell width change but also because I was working with actual fabric instead of pants leg. I'm honestly not sure I like it this long, it might make sense over a massive winter coat but otherwise it's dangerously baggy. I'm thinking Draft 3 will be a 5-cell with a slightly shorter strap, either that or a tri-glide to adjust it.

@camocorvette , what do you think? You're welcome to this one, if you'd like.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm looking to carry multiple 10 round aics mags. I've got some Triad Tactical pouches for on a belt.

I've got a bunch of mags.. But when I'm just going to the range or shooting on the farm. I'd like something more like a bandolier that could hold say 4-6 mags with a strap to just carry them.

Otherwise they float around in the range bage or eagle sniper drag bag.

Does anyone know of anything on the market?
    Or is anyone taking on one off projects I could pay to make this idea a reality?

Thanks in advance

P.s. think m16 Vietnam Era bandolier

Every color is out of stock. But I like that. Thank you for the link.

Alright, Draft 2 is complete -

View attachment 7747799

Instead of cutting up some old pants, I came into some official unofficial "OCP" ripoff "Not-Multicam" ripstop in a traditional "fabric by the yard" format for $3 for a shitton, so I worked with that for this draft. Still no webbing for the strap, so it's still an offcut. Anyway, I took advantage of the full 36" width for the strap and neatened up the ends a bit, mostly for ease of construction, but also for a bit of snag prevention.

I increased the cell width to 4.75", and everything is MUCH easier. Insertion still needs both hands but is back to "easy" and extraction can be done one-handed with the offhand.

As you can see by the pictures... she got longer, partially because of the cell width change but also because I was working with actual fabric instead of pants leg. I'm honestly not sure I like it this long, it might make sense over a massive winter coat but otherwise it's dangerously baggy. I'm thinking Draft 3 will be a 5-cell with a slightly shorter strap, either that or a tri-glide to adjust it.

@camocorvette , what do you think? You're welcome to this one, if you'd like.
    I love it. I appreciate your time and materials. Pm me and let's get this tried out. It's getting my mind clicking on what I think is a good thing.

So I figure I should update this alittle. @Char'ed Cuterie generously made and sent me a bandolier. It's great. For a version one I can't ask for more. I've used it some. Not as much as I'd like. Mainly been shooting rimfire lately. But I took it out yesterday. Worked great.

20211215_153015.jpg

AICS or PMAG I've got them both in there. Holds six total. It carries well over the shoulder. I think the only improvement would be to double up the material on the "sling" part. I noticed when it got wet it kinda rolled over on it self and you were basically carrying a small rope. But it still worked amazing.
    20211215_153022.jpg
    20211215_153035.jpg

It's honestly the easiest way I've ever carried six 10 round AICS pattern mags.
    Thanks again @Char'ed Cuterie

Thanks to @camocorvette for the field test! I've since received some proper webbing, so I sat down to work out V2 a bit. Other changes include a slight embiggening of the cells, I recently came into some MDT polymer mags and they're larger than the Magpuls I had for testing.

New rough cut is 29"x14"

Rough Cut V2.jpg

First step is to fold both of the 29" long ends over 1/4", press or use basing tape to hold, and sew to finish those long edges. Leave the 14" ends rough for now.

Second step is to fold up what will be the short/front/bottom of the peice up 5" and press. Then fold what will be the top flap so that it overhangs the 5" section by 1/4", and press.

Third step is to measure out five 5" wide cells, starting 2" from your rough 14" ends, marking with chaulk as you go. You should have another 2" to spare when you get to the other side. At this point, you can knock out the easiest sewing of the project and sew up the cells. I added a 1" or so section of triple stitching to V2 at the stress points where all three layers meet, as that will be under strain when mags are going in and out. Should look like this:

Sewn Up V2.jpg

I'll be honest, making the strap attach in an ergonomic, strong, and tidy fashion is the biggest area of improvement for V3. For this version, I cut 1" in from the very top and bottom creases so I could fold the raw edges in on themselves.

Half Cut Ends V2.jpg

The strap is 1.5" webbing, attached at an upwards 60degree angle so things don't get wierd when worn on a torso. I use the exposed threads of the top flap to line the corner of the webbing up inside the 2" loose end, then ran a line of thread along the existing stitching to "lock" the strap in place. Folding in and sewing up the raw ends is fiddly and messy, I just kind of tucked shit in, tried to avoid sharp corners for snag concerns, and sewed it up best I could. Here's the finished V2:

Finished V2.jpg

For the loss of one mag of capacity, I felt like it wore far better on the body and the slightly bigger cells made moving mags in and out that much easier. Additionally, the 29" raw length is convenient for working with bulk fabric, which usually comes in 30" or 60" widths. The use of webbing versus a random offcut is well worth the additional cost, 1" webbing would probably be fine but I liked the 1.5 better.

@camocorvette , mind if I send this your way as well for a little T&E?

That's awesome. I would love to test out the V2. The first one has gotten some more use over the weekend and worked great. I look forward to this new one as well. It looks sturdy!

Never forget grenades when walking on farm, comrade.
    In communism you have grenade, but no potato

Seriously if no ones around you could use a cheap fanny pack...looks dumb, but works. The idea above is better however.

• Haha
    Reactions: greentick