• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS bottom metal for Howa

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Anyone know who makes bottom metal for a Howa 1500 that takes AICS? The legacy sports works very well but is limiting as far as COAL goes.

Aftermarket stock? Badger or PTG works with manners stocks. Not sure if they bolt on to a hogue stock.

Aftermarket stock? Badger or PTG works with manners stocks. Not sure if they bolt on to a hogue stock.
Its in a Bell and Carlson Target/Comp adjustable. Probably will have to send the gun in to have it fitted correct?

They would need to mill out for the bottom medal I think.

The PTG one fits in a Bell and Carlson, but requires the rear of the magazine cutout on the receiver to be milled unless modifying the magazines.
If are worried about COAL and using metal mags your going to want the mill work done.

Mine was a .223 and brand new so didn't want to void warranty, made a notch in the plastic MDT mags with a dremel instead.

Another thing to look at is the bolt stop, sometimes they need cut or replaced to allow full rearward travel to pick up a round with AICS type mags.

Reactions: jLorenzo
The PTG one fits in a Bell and Carlson, but requires the rear of the magazine cutout on the receiver to be milled unless modifying the magazines.
If are worried about COAL and using metal mags your going to want the mill work done.

Mine was a .223 and brand new so didn't want to void warranty, made a notch in the plastic MDT mags with a dremel instead.

Another thing to look at is the bolt stop, sometimes they need cut or replaced to allow full rearward travel to pick up a round with AICS type mags.
How much length did you gain after making the notch? I didn't think about that. I am not seeing anying PTG stuff that mentions Howa anywhere, its all 700 stuff. I assume you mean that one?

How much length did you gain after making the notch? I didn't think about that. I am not seeing anying PTG stuff that mentions Howa anywhere, its all 700 stuff. I assume you mean that one?
The notch was purely so the magazine can seat without cutting the receiver.
The bottom metal was from PTG for Howa, not 700, it was given to me in a B&C stock a few years ago in trade. PTG's website is as much of a dumpster fire as the rest of their business practices.

Reactions: jLorenzo
I ordered the PTG before I read all the hate here. It came in less than 4 weeks. I dremeled my stock ever so slightly then bedded it when I did the action. I milled my own receiver in like 5 minutes. All I have are MDT AICS mags, which needed some light sanding as well.
My stock is the, hated by most, blackhawk axiom which I seriously modified.

I ordered the PTG before I read all the hate here. It came in less than 4 weeks. I dremeled my stock ever so slightly then bedded it when I did the action. I milled my own receiver in like 5 minutes. All I have are MDT AICS mags, which needed some light sanding as well.
My stock is the, hated by most, blackhawk axiom which I seriously modified.
What do you mean by "milled my own receiver"?

+1 for Atlasworxs. I have one on a Bell & Carlson stock. I did have to dremel the corners of the stock a tad, but it's a snug fit now.

Reactions: Old_Longhair
What do you mean by "milled my own receiver"?
There is a small square boss that holds the factory magazine box in place. It doesn't interfere with bottom metal, but the back of the magazines hits it, keeping them from seating. You can notch the magazines or cut a little of that protrusion off. There are vids on YouTube. It could be done with a dremel, but I have access to machines at work. Literally took longer to set up the mill and clean my mess than it took to mill it.

Reactions: rdsii640 and 6.5SH
Like mentioned above, Atlasworxs (Australia) make a very good bottom metal to suit aics mags. (They ship internationally).

Like mentioned above, Atlasworxs (Australia) make a very good bottom metal to suit aics mags. (They ship internationally).
I think I looked at them, as well as lots of aftermarket parts for Pathfinders, IDK why, but shipping from Australia is a lot!

There is a small square boss that holds the factory magazine box in place. It doesn't interfere with bottom metal, but the back of the magazines hits it, keeping them from seating. You can notch the magazines or cut a little of that protrusion off. There are vids on YouTube. It could be done with a dremel, but I have access to machines at work. Literally took longer to set up the mill and clean my mess than it took to mill it.
I have a mill at my house. I milled my Howa receiver so I could use aics mags too. It was dirt simple and took 5 minutes once it I did my set up.

Reactions: BAMAboy18
I have a mill at my house. I milled my Howa receiver so I could use aics mags too. It was dirt simple and took 5 minutes once it I did my set up.
I've since picked up an Atlasworxs DBM, and it seems to be fine without any modifications, I guess it could be the difference in stocks??
I'm getting ready to bed one of my rifles in a B&C stock (it has a PT&G in it) but I think I'll bed the Atlasworxs in that one. Gonna sell the Hogue so I picked up an "ammo boost" to put in it, leaving me an extra aluminum one, need 1 more rifle now, lol.

I've since picked up an Atlasworxs DBM, and it seems to be fine without any modifications, I guess it could be the difference in stocks??
I'm getting ready to bed one of my rifles in a B&C stock (it has a PT&G in it) but I think I'll bed the Atlasworxs in that one. Gonna sell the Hogue so I picked up an "ammo boost" to put in it, leaving me an extra aluminum one, need 1 more rifle now, lol.
Do you think an Atlasworx would fit in a B&C without any mods? Looking at switching from the legacy sports bottom "metal".

Do you think an Atlasworx would fit in a B&C without any mods? Looking at switching from the legacy sports bottom "metal".
Haven't tried it yet, I'll definitely let you know. Gonna Devcon bed it, and I have new glass to mount as well.

This would be an issue regardless of which chassis/stock you put the action in, right? For some reason I don't seem to see many people talking about this.

I don't have the gun in front of me, but I remember something on the action itself that required me to cut the magazine, so I feel like the stock shouldn't matter, and everyone should have to notch their mags for them to fit flush, right? Is that only on the .223 or is it somehow only an issue with Bell and Carlson stocks?

This would be an issue regardless of which chassis/stock you put the action in, right? For some reason I don't seem to see many people talking about this.

I don't have the gun in front of me, but I remember something on the action itself that required me to cut the magazine, so I feel like the stock shouldn't matter, and everyone should have to notch their mags for them to fit flush, right? Is that only on the .223 or is it somehow only an issue with Bell and Carlson stocks?
Not a stock/chassis issue, it has to do with which DBM you're using. My only experience is with PT&G, which needs the clearance (I have access to a mill, & only took a minute, so that's what I did) And Atlasworx, which I don't believe needed the modification, but it ended up on a rifle that had already been cut, so I can't say for certain. I probably wouldn't have heartburn notching a poly mag, but didn't even consider cutting all my metal MDT mags. Now MDT is making a DBM, I would hope they designed theirs not to need modifications??

Reactions: kornface13
Not a stock/chassis issue, it has to do with which DBM you're using. My only experience is with PT&G, which needs the clearance (I have access to a mill, & only took a minute, so that's what I did) And Atlasworx, which I don't believe needed the modification, but it ended up on a rifle that had already been cut, so I can't say for certain. I probably wouldn't have heartburn notching a poly mag, but didn't even consider cutting all my metal MDT mags. Now MDT is making a DBM, I would hope they designed theirs not to need modifications??
I did notch my poly mag, but I still get feeding issues. A round will sometimes get pushed out of the mag and cant upwards and run into the top of the chamber instead of going in. I also sanded down the feed lips though, so maybe that's the cause of the feeding issues.

I did notch my poly mag, but I still get feeding issues. A round will sometimes get pushed out of the mag and cant upwards and run into the top of the chamber instead of going in. I also sanded down the feed lips though, so maybe that's the cause of the feeding issues.
I haven't done it, but have read where some folks have had success with shimming the DBM. Might be something to experiment with, front/back/ both? Or maybe a certain ammo? Are you using a P-mag or an MDT poly mags? I know the Magpuls fit tighter, maybe less forgiving? I'm no expert, but trying to offer some solutions, I've been frustrated over issues myself. Especially when you pay decent money for a product that's supposed to be an upgrade! I love my Howas; I've owned 3 different 308s and just added a 6.5 Creedmoor, thinking hard about a mini in 6.5 Grendel, but my hang-up is those proprietary magazines, lol.

Not notch it enough? If it is pressing the back of the mag down the round will feed high.

I haven't done it, but have read where some folks have had success with shimming the DBM. Might be something to experiment with, front/back/ both? Or maybe a certain ammo? Are you using a P-mag or an MDT poly mags? I know the Magpuls fit tighter, maybe less forgiving? I'm no expert, but trying to offer some solutions, I've been frustrated over issues myself. Especially when you pay decent money for a product that's supposed to be an upgrade! I love my Howas; I've owned 3 different 308s and just added a 6.5 Creedmoor, thinking hard about a mini in 6.5 Grendel, but my hang-up is those proprietary magazines, lol.
I’m loving the Mini in 6.5 Grendel, but went with an Oregunsmithing bottom metal for a lightweight hunting rifle. I also have a 22-250 that I need to get up to speed with. Of course that cartridge has it‘s own issues.

Late to the party, but MDT makes hybrid mags for the minis now, I run one in my ARC sometimes. It's in a JTAC Elf Owl chassis. The factory mag feeds smoother, but the MDT is serviceable, and I may just need to tweak the feed lips.

Late to the party, but MDT makes hybrid mags for the minis now, I run one in my ARC sometimes. It's in a JTAC Elf Owl chassis. The factory mag feeds smoother, but the MDT is serviceable, and I may just need to tweak the feed lips.
I still want to build a 6.5 grendel! The new prices of the 2.0 Rugers makes the probability of sticking to a Howa even more attractive! Especially since I found this conversion kit to CZ magazines;

Not notch it enough? If it is pressing the back of the mag down the round will feed high.
When I 1st realized something had to give I only briefly thought about notching mags, especially the expensive metal ones. Honestly it took longer to clean up the mill than it did to cut the clearance in the receiver, but the rifle was already apart for bedding.

I still want to build a 6.5 grendel! The new prices of the 2.0 Rugers makes the probability of sticking to a Howa even more attractive! Especially since I found this conversion kit to CZ magazines;
I will vouch for Jefferson Outdoors quality. Just put their internal magazine bottom metal in a Mini 223. Excellent fit and finish.

IMG_4981.jpeg

6.5 Grendel on top
223 Remington Bottom

I will vouch for Jefferson Outdoors quality. Just put their internal magazine bottom metal in a Mini 223. Excellent fit and finish.

View attachment 8304691
6.5 Grendel on top
223 Remington Bottom
Just curious, but any idea what kind of oal it gives you vs the factory mag? I believe mine were right around 2.310". My 108 eldm load I settled on is 2.280" more just curious for the future. Minis are fun little guns, I wouldn't mind a .223 or maybe 22 arc with a traditional stock and blind mag for coyotes and such one day. I don't particularly enjoy holding an aluminum chassis when its 20 degrees. Damn near stuck my cheek to my elf owl cheek piece a month or so ago on a hunting trip. It's got a neoprene pad on it now. Cut up a beer coozie to get me by that trip 🤣

Would make a cool little thumper in .458 socom or 450bm too for states that don't allow semi autos for hunting.