• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS ergonomics stink.....back to a traditional stock:manners,mcmillain?

protoolsnerd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2011
South Florida
Hi Guys
I have my remmy 700 in an AICS 2.0 stock right now. I wasn't thrilled with the thumb hole so i got viper skins. Well....i'm not really into the grip angle and how I fit the gun so i'm going back to a more traditional stock. I'm not into the chassis thing right now as i don't care for the ar style grips and angles . I ride my right thumb up on the side of the stock as opposed to wrapping around . I had considered mcree and xlr chassis before, but when i went back to my BC medalist A2 it felt much much better.

I absolutely love manners , and i'd be tempted to go with them and their mini chassis and dbm that is AI mag compatible . My only issues are the price and the availability. Are the manners stocks THAT MUCH better then mcmillain or hs precision? Does their mini chassis make that much of a difference in terms of accuracy or the need or lack of need to bed the stock? Any suggestions on who the best retailer for manners would be ?

I'll be selling my AICS soon with the viper skins , hell i'd be happy to do a straight trade for a manners with chassis and DBM.

Help me out oh long distance gear gurus

Last edited:
I am in the same boat...had the AICS and then went to viperskins...now my next build is going to be a pair of .260s. Mine is going to have the McMillan and my wife's is going to have the manners. My only reason for going with the MCM over Manners is that like you, I have my thumb pointing towards the bolt shroud, therefore the MCM was more comfortable right there at that angle where the inside of my thumb knuckle would sit. The Manners is a little sharper angle and doesn't fit in that crease. the MCM is more rounded out. I don't know if you have held them or not but I would take that into consideration either way you go. Really cant go wrong with either. Just match the stock to yourself.

Thanks Hesco, that's my issue , i haven't had a chance to fondle either. I've seen em, but not been behind em. Are you going to pillar bed the MCM?

Same here i own 4 ARs but when shooting precision i hate AR config i sold aics 2.0 here also bought new aics AX here since everyone saying viperskin grips is much better. I admit AX is better feeling than thumb hole but chasis not for me too.. feels like shooting AR my palm n thumb like ride MCM better than gripping. I owns 2 manners one is t2a and 3 mcm a5 my conclusion "im traditional fiber stock guy"..only reason tried chasis because i felt i have to much carbon fiber stock..i still have my AX only because my saum is 30" barrel with brake and i dont know if 30" barrel going to look ok on A5 mcm..

They are a pain in the ass to deal with and the wait is long but I have been very impressed with my J Allen stock. The workmanship is second to none and the ergonomics are fantastic.

Hi Nexus , i had eyed their chassis , seems like they nickel and dime you on upgrades though. I do like how the grip is swept back . But i dunno, i just don't see myself going with a chassis for this gun. Every time i go back to my old B and C stock i'm like ....ahhhhhh . So much more comfortable for me when prone especially.

Hi Nexus , i had eyed their chassis , seems like they nickel and dime you on upgrades though. I do like how the grip is swept back . But i dunno, i just don't see myself going with a chassis for this gun. Every time i go back to my old B and C stock i'm like ....ahhhhhh . So much more comfortable for me when prone especially.

Yea my orig 700 had a B&C tactical medalist and I gave that rifle to my wife to build one with the AICS and man, I get behind her rifle and yes ......ahhhhhhh is exactly right.

Yes my MCM will be pillar bedded.

OP, have you felt the B&C Tactical Medalist? I fee that is a top tier stock without the top tier price. Try try try before you buy if at all possible....

Last edited:
Hesco , that's what my old B&C stock is . The medalist tactical just not the adjustable one. I love the stock , I have nothing against it at all. But i think this build is going to get an MCM A5 adjustable or maybe and A3 . Maybe a manners i dunno, i just really don't fit the AICS right .

the adjustable one came with a 3-axis adjustable butt and an adjustable cheek comb. I do, however, understand wanting to move on to something different. But whichever way you go, look on the hide or other higher end gun shops and see if you can just feel a couple of different stock. I would have saved a lot of money that way. haha

Check out Cs Tactical they usually have some in stock. Great guys to deal with. I just ordered a t4a from them with the mini chassis.

Manners and McMillan are at one level, and B&C are at an altogether different level as is H&S Precision. All four will do just fine, but the Manners and McMillan hand laid process is higher quality.

I own several Manners and McMillan stocks. The differences are slight, but here is my opinion;

* The feel, ergonomics and designs of McMillan stocks are a little better than Manners.
* The quality of manufacturer and appearance of the finished product of Manners stocks are a little better than McMillan's.
* Wait times are always about twice as long when you order a McMillan. Manners has reasonable wait times and tends to keep many vendors well stocked so you can often buy them without waiting.

I will also add that I like the AISC stocks with the Viper Skins. The thumb rest is comfortable and lets you index the same grip consistently every time. You should be able to recover some money by selling that.

Eurooptic usually has all of the general inlets in stock. A non-adjustable manners with mini chassis is less than a grand and comes with a mag. That puts them in the same ballpark as some of the chassis systems. Definitely worth it if you prefer the "traditional" ergonomics.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone , i'm leaning towards the manners t4 adjustable with the chassis . No pillar bedding necessary which an expense i don't want to incur after buying the McMillan.

If anyone is interested in a green AICS stock also with OD viper skins message me, I'll be putting it up on classifieds in a day or so.