• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS grippy cheek piece DIY.

locked&loaded

Airbrush Slinger
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
Galivants Ferry, S.C.
An inexpensive way to "get a grip"

2013-07-18_20-30-11_349_zpsc3072c8d.jpg

Remove bottom plate on cheek piece. Turn cut section of tube inside out. (You may have to wash the powder residue off with warm water) Stretch tube over cheek piece. Poke a couple of holes for the screws and replace plate.
2013-07-18_20-31-22_800_zps9752c359.jpg

All covered.
2013-07-18_20-32-08_23_zpsc5cd2f9f.jpg

Replace in chassis
2013-07-18_20-33-03_214_zpsdd7f3eaf.jpg

Don't get me wrong. Victor makes a great replacement. But for $5 you can add a bit of grip yourself.
And have plenty of extra tube for replacements.

Last edited:
Be sure to use the 1 1/4" - 1 3/8" tube size. Standard tube size will be too large to fit snug.
It takes a bit of stretching and work to get it over the cheek piece.

First of all, great idea! Is there a reason the tube is not full length on the cheekpiece? Thanks for sharing.

Did this with my rock solid stock, and it worked out very well.

After I turned the tube inside out, I lubed up the inside a little, and it slid on much easier.

First of all, great idea! Is there a reason the tube is not full length on the cheekpiece? Thanks for sharing.

+1. Great improvisation but I too would like to know if you tried to fit the bike tube over the entire cheek weld and if you did what problems did you encounter in order not to use it over the full weld?

+1. Great improvisation but I too would like to know if you tried to fit the bike tube over the entire cheek weld and if you did what problems did you encounter in order not to use it over the full weld?

Use a little lube and you can slide the tube on no problem.

Mine has been on here for a month or so and 400 rounds, does not move at all
20130831_105623_zps771bdf2e.jpg

I wish I would have seen this yesterday. I just ordered a Victor "grippy" cheek rest last night from Mile High. Looks like this would have worked just as well for a fraction of the cost.

After seeing this DIY. I went to walmart to get a inner tube also. I didnt find the 1 1/4 to 1 3/8in one. The only one I found closest was 1.30 to 1.65. And Bought it. Hutchinson 26" Premium Universal Inner Tube: Other Sports & Outdoors : Walmart.com

Before I cut it up. Anything think it wont work? The Cheek rest I will be using it on is the Rock Solid Stock like the one above.

*******UPDATE***********
So i cut the one I bought and works just fine.

Last edited:
You could use an old piece of brass to punch the holes. Maybe .38 spl. and a piece of wood inside the tube to protect the part that's going to be visible; Whack the shell case with a hammer....instant hole!