• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS in 338LM

six9

Private
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2008
Laramie, Wyoming
I'm thinking about getting a bolt action to do some LR shooting. I have a couple .308s a 6.5 and number of .223s that all are all semi-auto so I don't know much about bolts.

I've heard good things about the 338LM and I would like to put one together. I also like the AICS. However, I've been told different things about a 338LM in a AICS. A friend told me you can't get it to fit, others have said it will. I know that Surgeon XL action woln't fit and now I read the LA AICS mags are changing. Confusion abounds..

Can I build it? What's the best way if I can?

Thanks for the info!

Re: AICS in 338LM

sorry six9 ive got no idea, but im interested in this as you are and also wondering what are the benefits of a aics system anyway....looks heavy and is it better than a mcmillan? is it pillar bedded? do they make it foer a savage short action .308 and if so is it worth the expense? love this forum thanx guys

You can have a 338LM built to include the AICS LA stock. I have one built on a Lawton action sitting in an AICS. The best way would be to talk to your builder and iron out the plans.

My usual builder was the one who thought I couldn't put a 338 into an AICS. I guess I need to find another builder...

Marduk from what I understand it's built for 700 actions. It comes in long and short. There seems to be a lot of posts going right now about the AICS in general. Check it out.

I don't know about the aftermarket actions, but I would not build a .338 Lap on a Remington action. A .700" bolt is not large enough for a Rigby casehead. Thats why your big mausers are .750". The little bolts have malfunctions sometimes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dksd39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can have a 338LM built to include the AICS LA stock. I have one built on a Lawton action sitting in an AICS. The best way would be to talk to your builder and iron out the plans.</div></div>

dksd39, what magazines does your rifle use?

A friend of mine and I were discussion this yesterday and we thought the 338LM in an AICS stock would be a no-go due to the magazine. I'm sure the stock could be modified if necessary by a gunsmith who knows what they're doing to accommodate a surgeon XL action.

Can you get 338LM magazines for the chassis system stock or do you have to modify the AICS 300WM magazines to make it work?

Six9, fwiw, the AICS and AIAW stocks are usually "love 'em or hate 'em" situations with most people. The project you are considering will be very high dollar and it would be a shame to put it all together and find you don't like the stock. If you can, get some trigger time behind a rifle with an AICS chassis before you spend several thousand $ on your build.

Manners, McMillian etc make wonderful stocks. Scott Mcree makes a very cool aluminum stock that you might want to check out also.

Good luck with your build.

David

With all due respect--since this is your first bolt gun, why don't you hold off on the magnum and get your feet wet with the ubiquitous .308. You've already got the gear if you reload, and it will let you figure out if you like bolt guns before you spend a fortune on shooting a rifle that costs a couple bucks every time you pull the trigger--and that's with reloads.

It does make sense not to dive into a multi-thousand dollar bolt gun. And I would like to test out an AICS before I leap. However, living in the middle of BFE makes that a little tough. Anyone know a good builder in Wyoming or Northern Colorado that deals with this sort of equipment?

I know the Laupa has been done on the rem 700 and works fine but for me personally the rum case head is as large as I would want on the 700.......in saying that a .338 edge on a rem 700 will fit nice and you can use AICS if you so choose.

I also agree with the .308 idea...............although I own other rifles I have little long range experience, I have dived in build ing a .375/408 IMP first, funnily enough I am now building a smaller rifle (6.5x47) to get my skills up. Probably should have built the 6.5x47 first I suppose. I am also building a .338 Lapua but it will be on a Surgeon XL action.

If you find yourself over by Rock Springs, or you want to make a trip over here, we can go do some shooting out to 1500yds. I have rifles stocked in AICS, .338LM's in McMillan stocks, hunting style (M40 HTG), A1-3, ect... All wearing S&B optics. You can try them all if you'd like.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested, or just want some opinions. I'm only about 2.5-3hrs away.

Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pc3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know the Laupa has been done on the rem 700 and works fine but for me personally the rum case head is as large as I would want on the 700.......in saying that a .338 edge on a rem 700 will fit nice and you can use AICS if you so choose. </div></div>

Is there a good resource for me to learn about the 338 calibers? I've heard of the rum but not the edge.

What are people finding for a reloading cost on the 338LM?

Thanks all for the good advice.

If you contact Zak Smith in Fort Collins I bet you can work out a way to test drive an AI.

The edge is the .300 RUM necked up to .338 it has a larger capacity than the .338 RUM how much larger I am not sure. I think it can be loaded to out perform .338 laupua. It is cheaper brass at the outset but you get more loading out of genuine Lapua brass. Other than Brass it will be as expensive to shoot as the .338 Lapua. If I HAD to do a .338 on a rem 700 I would go for the .338 RUM or the .338 Edge. The .338 EDGE has quite a following and I think it is a very good round. yyou would not go wrong with it. If you want a cheaper round to shoot then the next stpe down would be .300 win mag and .300 WSM.

Gentlemen,

The AICS has been available for the Remington 700/338 Lapua Magnum for some time now in both fixed and folding versions. These AICS will fit the standard long action 700 without modification. Of course, the 700 bolt must be reworked for the large Lapua case head.

The current 338 magazine does not accommodate factory CIP ammunition as the OAL that was eventually standardized is longer than early ammunition. The CIP 338 created a bit of quandary for AI as we had many rifles in service that were built to accommodate the shorter pre-CIP ammunition.

Recently we have produced AW rifles to accommodate the CIP 338 Lapua for military customers. We have also developed a CIP 338 Lapua AICS for Remington and military customers. This requires a longer magazine than the current platforms can accommodate, and the new mags are clearly stamped CIP 338. In order to install a Remington 700 in the CIP 338 AICS, the action magazine-port will need to be lengthened by a skilled machinist or gunsmith. We had one of these AICS on display at SHOT and will soon be taking orders from our distributors. Accuracy International also produced a prototype CIP 338 AICS for the Surgeon XL that was on display at Surgeon's boot at SHOT.

Going forward, AI will manufacture rifles accommodate the CIP standard ammunition, but rest assured, we will continue to support legacy NON-CIP AICS and rifles. We will continue to offer the NON-CIP 338 AICS as this system requires no modification of the receiver.

Best regards,

Scott Seigmund
Vice President
Accuracy International of North America
[email protected]

How much longer are these mags over the old version , and are you changing the 300WM , as well , so guys to change between the 2 as they currently DO ?

Cheers CHris

If your having a Suregon XL built into a .338 LM right now that uses the standard mags I am guessing I wont be able to run the new CIP mags without extensive mods ?? Stock is a manners T4A. As I own a .375/408 that shoots 350gr pills I am actually thinking I might run 250 scenars in it anyway.

"Accuracy International also produced a prototype CIP 338 AICS for the Surgeon XL that was on display at Surgeon's boot at SHOT. "

NOW THATS NEWS!!! I hadnt heard this. If I knew this I probably wouldnt have sold off my Surgeon XL action
frown.gif
Time to start saving for another
smile.gif

Wow an answer from AI themselves... Now I just need to do some work to understand what CIP is? Damn newbies!
smile.gif

European version of SAAMI. Here is info from quick Google:

The Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives (Permanent International Commission for Firearms Testing - commonly abbreviated as C.I.P. or CIP) is an international organisation whose members are 14 states, mainly European.

The C.I.P. safeguards that every civil firearm and all ammunition sold in C.I.P. member states are safe for the users.

CIP= Commission Internationale Permanente -now what does that mean? Permanent International Commission for Firearms Testing - commonly abbreviated as C.I.P. or CIP) is an international organisation whose members are 14 states, mainly European.

deisel beat me too it
smile.gif

how long until they are available to mortals?

Will the new badger long action work with them?

Will you be able to modify existing AICS chassis to accept the new magazines?

I do not want to buy a whole new chassis if a little machine work will allow you to use the new magazines.

On the existing AICS L/A ?, no they will not accept the new CIP mags. As for modification, that would be up to the end user and some AICS magwell modification which would not cost effective, unless you are that attached to your existing AICS. The internal AI .338 Lapua mags are as follows:
1. current .338 part #2468 internal 3.640" range
2. new CIP .338 internal 3.760" range

As always any assistance needed, feel free to pm, email or call.

Stacey

Thanks for the info. Any time frame for delivery of the new magazines and chassis?

Rob

Stacey

Also will or is all .338LM over the counter ammo state side under the CIP specs? And is the extended length due to longer case or bullet seating? In other words does new brass have the same cartridge dimensions as before?

Thank you for the additional info Stacey.

Please let us know when these new CIP 338 AICS L/A stocks and magazines are available.

smile.gif

I don't have a solid eta on the mags at this time. We are working on this and on this years agenda. The extra length is for COAL nothing to do with the brass so no worries. I will post asap on the AICS and mags when available for order and eta here on the hide.

So basicly we are dealing with CIP being able to be seated nearly 1/8" longer than "current" .338Lapua ammo?