• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AICS Mag- 223/223AI Mod done

7mmRM

Minuteman
Jul 2, 2004
Celestine, Indiana
I finnished up my Badger M5/AICS mag mod to work with the 223/223AI. I did it very simple, no real mod to the mag. The mod netted me 6 rounds in the mag and it functions flawlessly.

First I bent the lips in to hold the smaller cartridges. I then stuffed as many rounds in it as I could, I got 6 in it. The first 3 fed out perfect, but the last 3 hung up pretty bad. I looked abit closer and it was due to the mag tapering out twords the bottom. So I popped off the bottom, looked at it and decided that all I need to do is fill the taper and it should work perfectly. I went to Auto Zone and picked up a JB Weld Stick, the kind you knead together.I prepped the inside of the mag, then cut off the desired amount, kneaded it, and filled the taper on both sides of the mag. Let it harden the rest of the day, then got the trusty files out and filed the JB until the follower would fit nicely and run smoothly.

It was a very easy mod- actual work time was 1/2 hour. Heres some pics-

Bent feed lips
101_0218.jpg

Filled taper-
101_0220.jpg

101_0221.jpg

101_0222.jpg

101_0223.jpg

6 of those cute little 223AIs nestled in the mag.
101_0219.jpg

Reactions: Dylan84
Re: AICS Mag- 223/223AI Mod done

Great idea using the JB Weld as the spacer. I'll give that a go on my next conversion.

Re: AICS Mag- 223/223AI Mod

Well, your a handy little fella to have around.

Thats a pretty slick little mod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBB</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome job! How easy was it to reform the feed tabs? </div></div>

Very easy, I did it with a hammer.

Looks good, 7mm. Im in the middle of modding my badger m5. Im trying to make it work with my Sako L579 action. Mr. Pete Lincoln has already completed this mod im just waiting on his write up so I can started. Again very nice job on your mag.

Any issues with forward movement? DO you see a need to shorten the follower and add a spacer to the back?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7RM....You take all your guns to work??
grin.gif
</div></div>

Sometimes..... You never know about those unruly customers...<grin>

Thanks for the great idea. I have two 700's in 223 and have never been happy with the way they feed.

That is a fresh steaming pile of awesomeness!!!!!

You may have to bring one of the JB weld sticks with you to Indy whenever you come up for a drink
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a fresh steaming pile of awesomeness!!!!!

You may have to bring one of the JB weld sticks with you to Indy whenever you come up for a drink
wink.gif
</div></div>

Sounds like a plan!

Wow, nice job. Sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet.

Great looking rig....

Keith

What is the OAL of the 223 rounds you are using? I have heard that the feed lips are a little short, to work well all the time, when doing the 308/223 conversion. No problems with rounds getting jammed when operating the bolt?

The mod looks nice and easy. I was planning on doing the same thing, but a u channel made of out metal that can be removed whenever you want. Of course I have been planning on doing that for about a year and a half and haven't done crap!

Nice work.

John

Re: AICS Mag- 223/223AI Mod*** UPDATED NEW MOD***

I needed to mod another mag for a 223, and got to thinking there has to be an even easier way to do this. I though surely there is something that is tapered close to the way I need it. Got to looking around in the junk drawer and came across a plastic putty knife... Looked it over and thought this is the ticket. Tapers perfectly. Sweet. I head to Home Depot to pick up a couple. I get there and they no longer carry the exact ones I need, but found a substitute. These were a bit thicker. I cut out the size I needed and went after it with the dremel(barrel sander), to achieve the desired thickness. Then roughed up the side to be glued, and prepped the inside of the mag. Mixed up some Marine Tex, applied it to my spacers and installed them.

This mod was even easier/faster than the original, and works equally as well. Honestly its too easy! Barely a 2 beer operation
crazy.gif

I should have taken pics while doing the mod, but well I didnt..
Here is whats left over of one the putty knifes-
M40A3011.jpg

Spacers glued into place-
M40A3009.jpg

Loaded mag...6rounds-
M40A3010-1.jpg

In the rifle-
M40A3012.jpg

Reactions: Dylan84

That is awsome.

Does it not need any spacer in front to keep the rounds from walking forward?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is awsome.

Does it not need any spacer in front to keep the rounds from walking forward? </div></div>

Nope. Ive modded a ton of these mags and never had an issue of rounds walking forward.

So why is it so hard for the nice folks at Accurate and AI to make these?
It doesn't seem like it would be hard for them to change the crimp on the side to achieve this internal demention.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why is it so hard for the nice folks at Accurate and AI to make these?
It doesn't seem like it would be hard for them to change the crimp on the side to achieve this internal demention. </div></div>

It would be easy. I've been needing to talk to my buddy who has a machine shop into making "dies" to modify mags. He's been to busy to spare machine time lately. I've been doing the mod for comming up now on three years and the last batch I did held eight in a converted 5 round mag and 16 in a converted ten round. I think with what I've learned over the years when I have the dies made the converted mags will gain maybe one more round of capacity.

Always great to see people work out problems and make gear work for them in the best way.

Accuracy international in the UK, aren,t interested in making modified magazine,s in .223. I know this, as i convert magazines here, for their main agent, Sporting services. Its probarbly because its not used by the military in this magazine format. The UK uses the sa80 in .223.

You have just solved my problem, I cant wait to put my new cdi bottom metal on and give it a whirl.

Have you tried a 10 rounder, I wonder how many it would hold

I did one the old way. Ive since put it back to use 243. IIRC, it held 13. Pretty sweet shooting pdogs with it!

Wow, that's so simple. Now I have to build another damned rifle.

I did my mags over the weekend, very easy to do. NOw im just waiting to get the bottom metal installed so I can see if it really fixes my feeding problem.

would anyone here do this for hire? I dont trust my patients! Lee

Hey guys, just a quick heads up that AI is going to be offering a dedicated 223 mag in the not too distant future.

I have started a GB for Hide members here:

AICS .223/5.56 Mag Group Buy

Cheers,

Adam

First batch of mags is in and gone but we will have more available shortly drop us a line if you want some and we will get you added to the list.

Here are a few pics for ya, the bullets are .223AI with 77gr SMK's seated to 2.340" for your reference(Sorry for the dog hair in the close up pic!):
100_4297.jpg

100_4298.jpg

100_4299.jpg

100_4300.jpg

Cheers,

Adam

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Adam @ MHSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

(Sorry for the dog hair in the close up pic!):

Cheers,

Adam </div></div>

grin.gif

IMG_0631.jpg

Sorry Adam, couldn't resist.

sorry to dredge up an old thread but i've got a question.

Could you fit an AR mag to this conversion ?
I.E inside the hollowed out AICS mag ?