• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS mag adjustment for badly-feeding cartridges ...

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I apologize up front if everyone but me already knew this.

For a long time, I've been having trouble with my AICS metal mags feeding into my 300-WM MPA bolt action rifle. The problem was that randomly, but "always" on the last round, the bolt would only feed the cartridge up to the shoulder, and jam. It was easy to solve by backing off just an inch or so, and then taking the bolt forward again, at which point the round would chamber just fine. It was annoying, but not catastrophic, and I got to the point where I anticipated it, and worked around it very easily.

Decided to finally work the problem today, and found an easy fix. Pushing a round out of the magazine with my finger, I realized the shoulder was catching those two little lippie-thingies (not sure what else to call them) at the front of the magazine, that are obviously designed to raise the angle of the cartridge for proper feeding. Tried adjusting the little lippie-thingies, without success. Tried setting the lips that hold the core of the cartridge higher ... also with no luck.

Scratched my head for 30 seconds, and decided to take the magazine apart, thinking it might be the same spring problem I had in my Tikka 6.5-CM mags. Adjusted the spring by spreading out the folds so that the front of the magazine had much more pressure than the rear ... with the end of the front of the spring pointing straight up (when outside the metal case), so that it exerted more pressure on the front of the round when inside the magazine.

VOILA !!! Problem solved, and every round, including the last one, is now correctly feeding over the top of those lippie-thingies just fine, and sliding into the chamber slicker than snot on a brass door-knob.

I always appreciate it when you guys share your tips, tricks, and traps with me ... so I thought maybe "somebody" on the planet had this same problem and might be interested.