• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AICS mag/Badger M5 issue

sobrbiker883

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2003
Gilbert AZ
In the past two matches I've shot I have had a malfuntion with my AICS 10rd mags.
Twice when I've inserted a mag the nose of my bullet on the first round has gotten caught under the front of the receiver's mag opening. I don't load to a long OAL and haven't remived the front reinforcing metal on the mags so I don't know why this has started happening to me. I never had the problem before and it has only happened under match conditions (murphy at work).
I'm a little put off by it, as I was going to switch loads to a longer OAL when my 168's dry up, but I don't want this to be a recurring pain in the butt.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Re: AICS mag/Badger M5 issue

I was having a similar issue and tweaked my follower spring to fix it. Have the lips on the mag been altered at all? Even accidentally?

No modification of the feed lips that I know of.

Turk, anything I can check?

I got the specs from Steve over at Surgeon! I know it's not helping much now, but you should call him Monday! I have it written down somewhere??? You have to make sure they are in spec for proper function. Sorry I couldn't help you any further tonight. Try to get some sleep!
grin.gif

Sleep, its still early here in the desert! Plus I'm sure someone somewhere on the 'net needs me to correct them about something!

You are absolutely right! I don't know what I was thinking! Weak moment on my part! Do yourself a favor; call Steve. Those guys are the best and he can walk you thru it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the past two matches I've shot I have had a malfuntion with my AICS 10rd mags.
Twice when I've inserted a mag the nose of my bullet on the first round has gotten caught under the front of the receiver's mag opening. I don't load to a long OAL and haven't remived the front reinforcing metal on the mags so I don't know why this has started happening to me. I never had the problem before and it has only happened under match conditions (murphy at work).
I'm a little put off by it, as I was going to switch loads to a longer OAL when my 168's dry up, but I don't want this to be a recurring pain in the butt.

Anyone else ever have this happen? </div></div>

This is just a thought, and a possibility.

Are you rocking the mags (front to rear) into the mag well?

Or are you going straight in? Which may be the problem because you're hitting the bullet on the forward edge of the mag well.

BHP9 has a good point and I suspect the right answer considering I did the same thing at a match no too long ago. I got in a hurry, inserted my 5 round magazine funny and it send the first round just underneath the feedramp. I didn't notice it until I went to load and it took me a couple minutes afterwards to figure out what was really going on. Once I stripped off that round though I didn't have any problems with the magazine and it still functions just fine.

If it's hitting the feed ramp then get a dremmel and start working that feed ramp back until it won't. If you look at the way the round is going into the chamber using the AI mags you don't even use most of the feed ramp. My rifles have had them taken back so there is no problem with the noses hitting under them.

Also if that top round moved out a little during handling that would also cause the problem especially with standard OAL rounds. Make sure it's all the way back in the mag before loading.

Thanks Rob, and everyone else. Unfortunately I believe I will have to look into what Rob is suggesting.
The two times it has happenened to me were both enough to screw the pooch on a full stage at a match, and that's unacceptable.
BHP9 has a point, but I really don't want to have to "baby" an expensive mag system that was installed with the intent to have rapid mag changes.
I've thought about using DevCon to make it so there isn't an "overhang" for the bullets to get caught under, but I haven't looked that close.

Well it looks like I need to take of .030" +/- of material to be at the front of the follower, and .100" +/- to be at the front of the mag box (if I remove weld plate later).
I may do the latter if I have it machined for real, or just the former if I do it with the "hand mill".

Once done would the action ever work with a factory box mag again? If not maybe I should dream of doing the whole shebang and have it machined to run AW mags.........

I have two 5 round AI mags. On one of the mags the follower tends to stick when 5 rounds are inserted causing the second round to tilt forward and nose dive creating the problem you described. Go ahead and load up your magazine with 5 rounds and strip a round off by hand - does the next round nose dive? I'm going to return the magazine with the sticky follower - one shouldn't have this type of problem with a $90 magazine.

I've already cleaned the sides of two of my followers up, and spritz them with powdered graphite every once in awhile....

Re: AICS mag/Badger M5 issue-hopefully fixed

Well, I had a day off, had my morning coffee and decided I needed a project around the house.
Picking up dog-doo or doing dishes didn't pique my motivation so I decided to play with my rifle.

Anyway, I broke out the hand mill (dremel) and files and relieved about .080" or so so that my action's mag opening is at least as long as the space available inside the AICS magazines. I didn't think to take before pictures and all that happy stuff until I was done (for now). I say "for now" because I may still relieve a bit more space, just didn't want to start big an want to go smaller later-removing metal is easier than putting it back!

Here's what I ended up with. I shot some AlumnaHydeII into a cup and used a q-tip to touch up (looks like it got a little heavy in the corners, oh well:
700M5mod002.jpg

700M5mod005.jpg

I'll update when I find out if this works or not, gotta let the coating cure.