• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS Magazines coming apart

KelsonAK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 27, 2012
Anchorage, AK
Recently moved to the world of DBM after living in an ADL universe. I was spoiled in that the only time my shells wound up on the ground is when I knocked them off the bench myself. Is it a common issue for an AICS .308 magazine to come apart under recoil? Any tips for tightening it up? I like being able to take them apart for cleaning, but I'm just about ready to epoxy the damned things shut.

Re: AICS Magazines coming apart

are you holding/touching the floorplate when you shoot? only time i've ever had a floorplate shift is when using the bottom of the magazine as a palm rest when shooting offhand. i use a bit of gorilla tape to hold the floorplate in place for mags that get used that way.

Nope - happens from the bipod prone behind the stock.

A bit of gorilla tape may be an expedient answer.

Never had that happen. You sure it's an AI brand mag? Either way, one tiny piece of G-tape would fix it. I think you could also fix it with a punch, increasing the size of the little bump that holds it in place.

Shot a match this weekend and saw a guy have his AICS mag come apart. One of the guys from JP Enterprises said that his fix is to simply crimp the edge of the floorplate with a pliers or vise just a bit. Still able to disassemble but makes it hard for the floorplate to slide off on its own. It looked like a good solution to me.

We had several want to do this. I boinked the taky-aparty knobby thingy on the bottom with a punch and hammer and it stopped happening. It was a really simple fix and it cured it since then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SPDSNYPR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I boinked the taky-aparty knobby thingy on the bottom</div></div>

Never thought I would admit to speaking Oklhomian, but that's how I would have described it too.

Also, with the floor plate off, put it on a flat surface/strait edge and see if it has a bow to it.

The take aparty knobby thingie is where I will go, but the black gorilla tape is so damned sexy. Might co both, nothing wrong with belt and suspenders.

I had the same issue with one of my AICS mags and sent it back to AI and they fixed the problem fast. Turn around was about a week.

I had one that was loose, just increased the tension on the tabs by slipping some feeler gauges under the lips and the using the press to compress them a little more, works perfectly.

Never had an issue with AI mags.

I have quite a few AI mags, never had that problem and I have never seen it at matches. I would take Tom up on his offer and send them back to AINA.

You should replace them with American made mags lie Accurate-Mag they don't fall apart!

You should replace them with American made mags lie Accurate-Mag they don't fall apart!

My brother and I both have AI brand mags that the floor plates come off of from recoil. I have had them to come completely off exposing the spring.

Chris

This happened to me as well. The dimple in the floor plate was not punched hard enough when it was made and didn't lock into place 100% so the recoil made the magazine fall apart. I sent it back to AI and they fixed it and never had it happen again.