• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

AICS on Savage .308 Hog Hunter w/pics

Tactical Max

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
Good evening gentlemen, sorry for the delay in getting this info up. A few weeks ago, after seeing in another SH thread that the new AICS stocks were out for the Savage, I immediately ordered one through EuroOptic. They were, of course, A-1 to deal with, and I had my stock in 2 days. I just got the rifle to put into it tonight, so I thought I'd take some pics and put them up for those of you who've been waiting on this for their Savage for a long time.

I haven't fired it yet, obviously, but the way I see it, AICS + $435 Savage Hog Hunter = Nothing But Win. I don't think there's a better buy on a bolt gun in the world right now than this. It's got the accu-trigger, bigger knob, it's already threaded for a can, and has Williams tall back up irons. How the hell are they selling it for that?!!

I will show it next to my 18" Rem with old style AICS for comparison purposes. Note the slight differences in the 2 stocks.

Re: AICS on Savage .308 Hog Hunter w/pics

Can you actually get behind the iron sights with the AICS' straight comb-style layout + cheek riser?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Civey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow looks awesome. Do u know if they have that stock for a savage model 12? </div></div>

The Savage AICS is for short action centerfeed (4.41" bolt spacing) only...and only side bolt release models, not the newer-style bottom bolt release that increasingly is found on newer models.

Barely, and I mean barely. You have to really hunker your cheek down into the cheek piece to even get close, but they are for backup on a scoped rifle anyway, so they work for me, but may not for others. If they were not so tall for generously clearing a can, they would not work with this set up at all. Furthermore, the cheek piece is all the way down atm, which it will not stay for long. For me, you can see in the pic of my Remington about where I end up raising mine to.

I'm not sure about your particular model 12, but Boiler is correct. If you look close in my pics, you'll see the stock is specially made to accept the savage model with the old style SIDE BOLT RELEASE ONLY. And supposedly the newer center feed mag style only as well. Only short actions at the moment. The Hog Hunter gun has all these features, plus the threaded barrel and irons. It was reported before that only the short action model 10 series would fit, and the Hog Hunter is part of the model 11 series, but I suspected it would fit, and thought I'd give it a try and post my findings since that model is such a deal. On a side note, why are my pics not showing up in the thread? Only the links are there. What did I do wrong?

Nice! I bought a pair of Hog Hunters (.223/.308) and just swap them out of my McCrees as desired. I had to remove the rear sight blade for the scopes but it only takes a minute to slide it back in.

The Hog Hunter is a steal of a gun if you want an entry level action for fun.

Now that is a nice Savage me personally if I had the money "IF" I would buy the model 10 in 6.5 creed and drop it in an AICS that would be a beast.