• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS or AW cut for Bighorn TL3?

BuckeyeRifleman

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2017
Ohio
Looking to build a rifle on. Bighorn TL3. This will be a switch barrel setup on a BA Lite chassis. Debating on whether to get the AW or AICS cut on the TL3. Any disadvantages to the AW cut? I’ve run AICS mags in the past and don’t really see much advantage to AW mags. That said the option to run both is never a bad thing.

Any recommendations would be great, this is my first custom action!

Bighorn TL3 is AW cut. I had zero issues running AW mags in my XLR Evolution chassis with my TL3 as well as AICS mags. I have since switched to ARC mags and they also flawless. If your starting fresh today and dont already have them just buy the ARC mags. But to answer your question all 3 mags (AICS, AW and ARC) will all run in your setup so I would get the AW cut chassis and run ARC mags.

While i know many have no problems running AW mags with 2-lug actions, with the introduction of the Arc mag there is basically no reason to even venture that way with a 2-lug action. I'd stick with those.

5RWill so do you still recommend getting the AW cut even though ARC mags are designed to work with AICS compatible rifles? Bighorn said AICS mags should work with AW cut, however you may have to modify the AICS mags.

There's no drawbacks to getting the AW cut. So if one Is available take it. If your only running arc mags it's not important

5RWill so do you still recommend getting the AW cut even though ARC mags are designed to work with AICS compatible rifles? Bighorn said AICS mags should work with AW cut, however you may have to modify the AICS mags.

Yes as said above there is no downside to an AW cut it's really just preference. To my knowledge most TL3s come with the AW cut. Mine did, my dad's SR3 did not. I only run AW mags in my Tempest by default.

The other issue/irritant is that if you're changing calibers with your TL3 setup say from a regular cartridge that you were using an AW mag for to a SAUM/WSM with AICS pattern you'll have to adjust or change out the mag latch. Least this is my experience with my Tempest. Where the latch catches and holds the mag is marginally different between an AICS patterned mag and AW. Which is why i had to file down my mag latch on my Manners to get my AW mag to seat, yet my AICS mags would seat fine.

Which basically why i said from the get go just grab an ARC mag. Get AW cut if you want it, it really wont matter.

I have an AW cut and have run AICS mags without needing to modify them. ARC mags did not require any modification to fit either (though I messed with the follower for unrelated reasons).

IMO no downside to getting the AW cut, just gives you one more option for magazines.

Thanks for the help gents! I’m new to this place obviously, long term poster over at AR15.com but have been lurking here more as I’ve gotten into the long range game. Lots of helpful folks so far!

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but what is the best way to tell if I have an AW or AICS cut mag well?

Screenshot_20191105-081136.png

Here are mine. The gray and tan are AW cut, the black is AICS cut. I've noticed no difference in functionality running ARC or AICS mags with 6.5 Creed, .308 or BR based calibers in any of them.