• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS or AX stocks

Re: AICS or AX stocks

It has been said many times here before and I will have to agree, the AI stock is a love it or hate it stock and its best to get behind one before you make the purchase. I have had at least 10 AICS chassis in SA and LA as well as 4+ factory AWs and AEs, the stocks work for me but they are not my favorite feeling stocks for positional shooting. Its a great platform for prone which I would anticipate that would be the majority of what you will be doing with the 338LM.

Get behind one first

Kirk R

I have the AX chassis. I love it. And positionals are comfortable with this chassis also. Well worth the money in my opinion.

What Captain Kirk said above.

I have the AX chassis also and like it very much. BUT, I mainly always shoot prone.

If you can get behind one that would be the best way to determine if it's for you. Or see if a local store might have one in stock so you can feel it and give it a look over in person. I would buy another in a second without hesitation.

Whether or not paying the $13xx price tag is worth it is entirely up to you.

I think you also have to considcer what you are comparing the AICS to. I have no regrets on buying my AICS.

I had a McMillan A2 and the grip area for me did not have the control I prefer (way fat). I also wanted adjustable cheek and LOP. I will say I also have an HS that I really like.

To be honest for what I use it for I'd probably shoot the same with a Choate. Based on how many do well at F-class matches they can't be too bad and I'm certainly not that good. But the pride of ownership for some great equipment has value too.

If you plan on dragging it around in the field the need for a tank-like stock (i.e.: AICS) changes dramatically.

I have the AX338 and I really like the ergonomics of the AX. I am not a big fan of the thumb hole stock. I know you can get Viper Skins but what you should consider and what factored my decision over the AW338 is that the AX and a railed foreend which will help to mount scopes, bipods, lights, lasers, etc. it will be more costly to get accessories for the AICS compared to the AX. The accessory rails are not that expensive and you can get them in various lengths.

I have the AICS on my Remington 338 Lapua and have never blinked about it and it is my third AICS purchase.

I've got an AX chassis for the Rem 700 short action and love it. My only complaint (and they may have fixed this by now) is that I was hoping it would be a straight drop in installation but due to the fact that my GAP build had an oversized recoil lug, I had to get the barrel channel widened on the stock. Not that big of a deal but it wasn't "straight dropin" as I had hoped. I would do another AX chassis if the opportunity presented itself.