• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AICS recoil lug opening dimensions?

stillbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
Tupelo, MS
What are the factory dimensions for the recoil lug opening on an AICS for a Rem 700 SA?
My search fu is very lacking this a.m.

Re: AICS recoil lug opening dimensions?

The older ones you will only get a factory lug in. The newer ones have been opened up, A .250 lug just fits although I still recomend opening it up abit bigger.

I bought a 1.5 new in the box from a hide member so I am assuming it is a newer model.
Standard factory Remington lugs are usually .187" correct?

i got a new SA 2.0 from Baur Arms in March and the lug slot was .186" IIRC. i had to chuck the barreled action in a lathe and face the front (muzzle side) of the recoil lug to .184". i don't know whose recoil lug was on the barreled action, but this worked fine.

My 5R fit fine with plenty of room. The barrel looks like a frickin toothpick in the barrel channel.
If things work out like I am planning I will have a custom build to put in the aics withe a heavier barrel.

I just got a 1.5 from Bauer Arms. Not sure of the manufacture date but it measures .253" on the lug recess.