• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AICS Recol lug recess question

GunjunkieM24

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
Monahans Tx
Can anyone tell me what recoil lug thickness the factory AICS stocks are milled for? Needing to know if I willneed to mill one out for a .250 lug.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: AICS Recol lug recess question

Its milled out for a standard rem lug. Yes you will need to mill it out for a .25" lug.

Mill the front side of the recess and not the rear. If the lug hits in the bottom of the recess, mill the bottom of the lug.

another option is to chuck the barreled action in a lathe and face the front (muzzle side) of the recoil lug to .194" or so. my short action recoil lug recess was .196"

worked for me anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1sikpupi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">another option is to chuck the barreled action in a lathe and face the front (muzzle side) of the recoil lug to .194" or so. my short action recoil lug recess was .196"

worked for me anyway. </div></div>

and then one must ask, why did you use a thicker recoil lug to begin with?

probably the same reason as the OP, barreled action from another rifle with a .250" lug already installed.

Mine is .253" from AI. Got it a couple months ago from Bauer Arms. I think the newer ones are opened up more than the old ones.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berm shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is .253" from AI. Got it a couple months ago from Bauer Arms. I think the newer ones are opened up more than the old ones. </div></div>

That's good to know! Anyone else with a newer AICS get a .25+" recoil lug recess?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: berm shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine is .253" from AI. Got it a couple months ago from Bauer Arms. I think the newer ones are opened up more than the old ones. </div></div>

That's good to know! Anyone else with a newer AICS get a .25+" recoil lug recess? </div></div>

i just measured my new, unmodified 2.0 and it looks like .250". it should be within a few thousandths of that but i can't get a good angle on my calipers with the skins on the stock.

I thought they were bigger than the factory lug but wasnt sure. I have milled them before but never wrote down what the original measurement was. I have a new one coming and have a .250 lug on my action.

We'll see for sure on Wednesday. Mine should be here by then.

Just to update this post......

The new AICS stocks WILL accept a .250 lug without mods.....

I have verified this on a LA and a SA stock ( 09 models ).

i was opening mine up the other day and it measured .257" before i touched it so they are definatly good for a .25" lug. now mine's .310".

Nice to see they made that change. Not too many people use a factory sized lug on a custom build.

If I can be so bold as to receive this old thread; I have a Stiller TAC30 with a 0.300" lug. (I know, I know)

Anyone know if I'll be stuck milling my AICS chassis? What about the length of the lug? Will it fit?

If I were given the choice between opening up the chassis, or only modifying the lug thickness and width, which is a better route? In other words, which would be least likely to create reliability issues?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I can be so bold as to receive this old thread; I have a Stiller TAC30 with a 0.300" lug. (I know, I know)

Anyone know if I'll be stuck milling my AICS chassis? What about the length of the lug? Will it fit?

If I were given the choice between opening up the chassis, or only modifying the lug thickness and width, which is a better route? In other words, which would be least likely to create reliability issues?

Thanks </div></div>

i just did this exact thing. the length of the opening in the aics will need to be opened up. i want to say i made mine .310" but it was a few weeks back. i also had to remove about .025"-.030" from the bottom of the recoil lug. a bit more off the bottom of the lug wouldn't hurt. mine is <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> close but i can just see daylight between the bottom of the lug and the aics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

i just did this exact thing. the length of the opening in the aics will need to be opened up. i want to say i made mine .310" but it was a few weeks back. i also had to remove about .025"-.030" from the bottom of the recoil lug. a bit more off the bottom of the lug wouldn't hurt. mine is <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> close but i can just see daylight between the bottom of the lug and the aics. </div></div>

Would there be anything wrong with shortening <span style="text-decoration: underline">and thinning</span> out the lug, and leaving the AICS untouched? Is that even possible?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

i just did this exact thing. the length of the opening in the aics will need to be opened up. i want to say i made mine .310" but it was a few weeks back. i also had to remove about .025"-.030" from the bottom of the recoil lug. a bit more off the bottom of the lug wouldn't hurt. mine is <span style="font-style: italic">real</span> close but i can just see daylight between the bottom of the lug and the aics. </div></div>

Would there be anything wrong with shortening <span style="text-decoration: underline">and thinning</span> out the lug, and leaving the AICS untouched? Is that even possible? </div></div>

if you don't want to mess with the stock, you may want to look into just using a .25" or thinner recoil lug. pacific tool and gauge makes a nice one but i think it would still need to be shortened a bit. i am comparing a ptg .186" thick lug to a factory remington and it looks like it is about .075" longer than the remington. i don't know how much room there is in an aics below a factory lug.

I think I'm stuck with my 0.300" lug. Fitting a new, thinner lug to my barreled action would require setting back the barrel shoulder to match the new lug. There's no way I want to open that can of worms.

I guess I'm just looking for the most accepted method of modification. I want an economical solution, but I also don't want to compromise the quality of either the chassis or the recoil lug.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mill the front side of the recess and not the rear. If the lug hits in the bottom of the recess, mill the bottom of the lug. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mill the front side of the recess and not the rear. If the lug hits in the bottom of the recess, mill the bottom of the lug. </div></div> </div></div>

i didn't realize you already had a barreled action. the above is the best advice at this point. since you are only opening up the front of the aics lug recess, it does not affect it if you wanted to put a different action in it or sell it at a later date. shortening the lug will not hurt anything as it will still be at least the same height as a factory remington lug.