• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS + REM 700 PSS = Feeding problems from the mag

AndoOKC

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Oklahoma City,OK/Temple, TX
Hello,

I have and AICS 1.5 on a remington 700 PSS. However, testing it out I noticed that feeding from the magazine results in my bullets being scraped along the feeding ramp and i have to apply a generous amount of force to get it up the ramp. Manually loading the chamber is no problem with one bullet at a time. The feeding problem is apparaent with a number of .308s ranging from cheap 155gr to black hills to 175gr handloads. Is there something wrong with my mag or the receiver or a combination. Thanks in advance.

Jus tto add because i figure someone will ask...my magazine is a 5rd magazine of some sort. Im not sure how to figure out exactly what kind of mag it is. But its single stack and black
smile.gif

Re: AICS + REM 700 PSS = Feeding problems from the mag

Might want to check if the 2 lips that hold the cartridge in the magazine is too tight. I just got my rifle in this week and had 2 ACIS mags that came with it. The 10 round would not feed worth a crap, but the 5 rounder fed fine. Come to find out one of the magazine lips of the 10 round magazine was bent in too far and it would make the round push straight up into the roof of the chamber. I took a caliper and measured the spacing between the 2 lips of the 5 round mag and bent the 10 round mag back close to the same specs, should be right around .595 give a take a couple of thou. Now it feeds perfect and the bolt doesn't touch the magazine at all when cycling the bolt. I am feeding WSM FWIW.

well the bolt isnt touching the magazine. however, the bullet is hitting the feeding ramp as it attempts to exit the magazine.

sounds like the front of the lips of the mag are too tight and not allowing the bullet to "pop up" a bit out of the mag so that it's at the proper approach angle when it hits the feed ramp.

Just open up the front end of the mag lips a hair and see if that helps things out ...

I opened it up and it seems to be working alot better. Now my final question.

I see a very light drag mark on the tip of the bullet when i feed then extract it. Does it make any effects on the ballistics?

This drag mark is barely noteicable compared to what it was before I opened the magazine lip up.

can anyone comment about the drag marks left by the feeding ramp onto the bullet surface...does it effect the way the bullet travels?