• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AICS Rem action screws? Do skins need to come off?

snpr700

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2004
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Just picked up an AICS long action stock and tried putting my Rem 700 barreled LA into it. It fit fine except the sction screws don't go in to the action. Is there a way to get them in without having to take the skins off or is that the way it's done? This is my first AICS stock.

Re: AICS Rem action screws? Do skins need to come off?

Depending on the tools you have available, removing the skins is the easiest way.

I tried it after removing the skins and the bolts go in too far. It looks like there is a small pocket where the bolts might sit to prevent them from going into the action. Is that correct? Thanks for the reply.

You should have a bolt and a washer. Do you have both?

Nope. Does the AICS come with the washers? The Rem actions have no washers. Can I pick some up somewhere?

I use 1/4-28 bolts and cut them to fit (pretty much any rifle I've got with an aftermarket stock).......

But your AICS should have had screws with it (and yes they go under the skins).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snpr700</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nope. Does the AICS come with the washers? The Rem actions have no washers. Can I pick some up somewhere? </div></div>

That's probably the problem. I would contact some of the people here on the site that sell or work for AI and get the specs on them. If you don't get a response, PM me and I will pull one out of one of my rifles and measure it.

Good luck,
bsp212