• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Watch_this71

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Columbus, Ga
With the advent of Magpul and their plastic AICS versions, are the original metal mags desirable anymore?

With the advent of Magpul and their plastic AICS versions, are the original metal mags desirable anymore?
From the limited experience I have had with both, I have found that the plastic Magpuls are slightly smaller and tend to rattle around in the magwell more than the metal ones. I have not had either "pop out" of the magwell unexpectedly, but I worry about that more with the Magpuls.

Looked at Magpuls and their internal OAL is short. Big downside. Have used steel AICS mags since 2004, the same ones actually, and they are still plenty desirable for me. The only poly mags I use is the MDT .223 mags and they have a longer OAL at 2.550". Seems like Magpul just made their AR mags fit in AICS DBMs.

You can tune and polish the feedlips on metal mags. That alone is worth the upgrade normally. A polymer mag does give you handling benefits for hunting; they don't cut gear/clothes up, they're quieter if you bump them and they don't freeze your hands.

Last edited: