• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS set up for 20 MOA?

yotechsr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2008
beyond
Picked up a AICS for my rem 308 Saturday and ran into a little problem. I have a 2 piece mark 4 for a base and leupold mark 4 6x20x50 optic. The eyepiece is just to low. I moved the cheekrest laterally and all the way down. I am assuming I need more moa on base or????

Re: AICS set up for 20 MOA?

Regarding last post...my scope is almost touching barrel now. With new 20 MOA base this will most likely cause the scope to be too low due to downward cant? Creating a ring height problem too?

What rings are you using and what barrel profile? I'm using a 20MOA Badger Ordnance base with Leupold medium hight Mark4 rings on a 700 MLR which has the varmint weight profile. The scope is the Mark4 M1 16x40.Plenty of clearance.

I had to raise the cheekpiece on my AICS with a 20moa base and NF 3.5-15x50.

I think you should be good. Whats the problem, you can't see through the scope?

You probably need taller rings! I had the same issue w/ a 10X Mark4; not to clear the barrel but to get a better sight picture. The cheek piece doesn't go down far enough! Instead I opted for a Mcmillan A5!
grin.gif
All current Mark4 bases are 20 moa.

Taller rings. You can also mod the cheekpiece and gain about 2mm of lowering. Take a grinder to the screw heads that hold the plastic on the metal but leave enough purchase for an allen wrench. Take a piece of 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface and take 2mm of plastic off the bottom of the cheek rest.

I chose not to increase the POA(taller rings) and opted to mod the cheekpiece as NINEHOTEL suggested. The scope is sitting about 1mm off the barrel where I want it.
I took the guide pin plate out and milled where it sits in the cheekpiece down about 3mm with a die grinder. once I got the guide pin plate settled to where I wanted it I took and milled the bottom of the cheekpiece with 80 grit and finished with 320. I will be dam that was all I needed. Thanks for all the input guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ttam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I chose not to increase the POA(taller rings) and opted to mod the cheekpiece as NINEHOTEL suggested. The scope is sitting about 1mm off the barrel where I want it.
I took the guide pin plate out and milled where it sits in the cheekpiece down about 3mm with a die grinder. once I got the guide pin plate settled to where I wanted it I took and milled the bottom of the cheekpiece with 80 grit and finished with 320. I will be dam that was all I needed. Thanks for all the input guys. </div></div>

I'm glad I read this. I'm having the same problem. I can get a sight picture, but it's not comfortable. I'll have to go to work on the cheek piece.

I have an AICS stock on order. I'm interested in dropping the cheek piece height as much as possible, can any of you post a picture of modified cheek piece?

thanks

-T