• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS Shorty Build

Godverdomme

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2010
.be
Hi everyone,

<span style="font-size: 8pt">Let me start off by stating that I hope this is posted in the right section and that I have indeed searched the forum for answers to my question(s). My apologies if I missed on any of both counts. But now we've gotten that out of the way: </span>

I've got a fairly deviant plan brewing in my mind and require your assistance & advice. I want to take a <span style="font-weight: bold">AICS 2.0</span> left handed folding stock, a lefty <span style="font-weight: bold">Remington 700 action</span> and a <span style="font-weight: bold">chopped Lothar Walther bull barrel</span> and turn it into an extremely small but accurate short range package. By short range, I'm talking mostly <span style="font-weight: bold">50 to 300 meter range</span>. And by chopping up a Lothar Walther, I mean going below 16".

The idea is to chop off the barrel as far as I can, while still capable of using non-barrelburning commercially readily available ammo. For this, I was thinking along the lines of .223Rem (but I'd more than welcome alternatives). A short barreled .223Rem would be loud and bright, but reasonably accurate still. When imagining this build the barrel only sticks out a little bit past the AICS stock, about as far as a front folded Harris bipod would stick out (give or take).

As a sidenote: could someone provide me with exact length of the entire AICS 2.0 stock with the butt folded, as well as the exact length of the barrel up to the end of the short action stock? My guess would be 11" or so? Is this about correct? (the barrel would be longer than that, but it's a good reference point to start from for calculations of how long the barrel will actually be.)

My only concern with the barrel is <span style="font-weight: bold">accuracy & bullet stability</span>. Not stopping power, fragmentation, unefficiently burnt powder and so on, those things really don't matter. This rifle would be meant to kill paper, and nothing else.
I've got a Sig 551 SB that shoots quite well out of his 14.3" barrel (55, 62 & 63gr @ 1:10), I'd expect a bolt action with an extra stiff bull barrel to do quite a bit better still. Even going down to 13 inches doesn't do horrendous things to the group it would seem: http://www.accuratereloading.com/223sb.html
I would suspect that an equal quality .308Win wouldn't fare as well once past 16", or would I be wrong in that assumption?

If I'd aim to use .223Rem, which <span style="font-weight: bold">twist </span>should I go for if I plan on using 50 to 75 gr bullets (most likely using mostly <span style="font-weight: bold">55 & 62gr</span>)? 1:9? 1:8?

Any random thoughts, comments and further information would be a great help to me at this stage. Thanks!

Re: AICS Shorty Build

For 50-75gr, I'd be looking at a 1:9 twist.

As far as measurements, I went and checked, and from the front edge of the recoil lug cutout to the front end of the chassis is exactly 9 7/8". Overall length of a short-action AICS folded up is 22.25" from extreme end to extreme end (tip of bipod spigot mount to bottom tip of pistol grip end).

If you go below 16" barrel, make sure that you are compliant with all the ATF rules and reg. You don't want to upset big brother.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go below 16" barrel, make sure that you are compliant with all the ATF rules and reg. You don't want to upset big brother. </div></div>

Kinda what i was thinking. This would be my main concern.

Couldn't quite understand his location that's why. You're right about that. Wish we have the same laxity of rules and regs about short barrel and suppressors like they do in Europe.

Does anyone have any feedback on the absolute minimum that the .223Rem barrel should be to maintain accuracy?

The link I posted sees a drop off below 13", but they're using 50 gr @ 1:12, I believe. Would 55-62gr @ 1:9 be significantly different?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For 50-75gr, I'd be looking at a 1:9 twist.

As far as measurements, I went and checked, and from the front edge of the recoil lug cutout to the front end of the chassis is exactly 9 7/8". Overall length of a short-action AICS folded up is 22.25" from extreme end to extreme end (tip of bipod spigot mount to bottom tip of pistol grip end). </div></div>
Thanks for going through the hassle of measuring this out for me.
And 1:9 seems to be about what I was expecting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't quite understand his location that's why. You're right about that. Wish we have the same laxity of rules and regs about short barrel and suppressors like they do in Europe.</div></div>
I'm indeed from Belgium (the Sig 551 SB & Lothar Walther barrel hinted that I'm european). Our regulations are very different from yours. Strictly speaking, an SBR or SBS does not exist. It's either a rifle/shotgun or a pistol depending on length (stock, grip, VFG etc don't matter for this identification).

Either way, even for the easier to get permits ('Model 9'), for a bolt-action rifle you need a 30 cm (11.75") barrel OR 60 cm (23.5") overall length to qualify. If you don't meet at least one criteria, you can't get a 'Model 9' license for it, but need to get a 'Model 4' permit. (which is quite annoying to get)
Since I'm fairly sure my barrel will be over 30cm, I don't need to worry. The day I go to pick it up, I show my sportshooting license, fill in a Model 9 form with duplicate and take the rifle home with me. (a Model 4 however requires approval by the governor, which means a waiting period)

As for suppressors? Sadly they're totally illegal here. It's not like Finland (over the counter suppressors without paperwork) or even the UK (heavily regulated by possible). It's really too bad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the AICS 2.0 fit lefty actions?

And when the stock is folded which side does it fold to?</div></div>

The AICS is produced in a left handed 2.0 version; the stock folds to the opposite side of a normal right-handed AICS.

Is there any place I can find a list of (internationally available) AICS compatible actions (other than Rem700)?