• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS Skins

ukdave28

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2008
Riverside CA, USA
Can anyone point me in the right direction, I am looking for AICS FDE skins 1.5 long action. I have green ones but I think its time for a change.

Thanks

Re: AICS Skins

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How well does the fusion work, I have heard that it cracks and then starts flaking off. </div></div>

As with any paint job...your prep work is critical to a decent finish.

First, you need to clean/degrease your skins with something like isopropyl alcohol (some folks use brake cleaner, etc., but I have found them to be harsh and frankly, overkill). Then, once clean and air-dried, apply several light coats of an adhesion promoter like Bulldog, Duplicolor, etc. (avail. from your local auto-parts store like Advanced, NAPA, etc.) allowing each coat adequate time to cure. Then, a couple even coats of Krylon followed by a couple of even coats of a matte clear coat.

Thanks for the info, I have wanted to try painting them for a long time, Guess I lack the balls to take the first step incase I screw it up

Fusion work very well on the AI skins. As mentioned above, prep is the key to durability. I hit mine with some 80 grit sand paper first and then cleaned the skins off with mineral spirits to remove any oils and grit. After that it was the Fusion. It has proven to be very durable and has even surprised me. I, in no way, baby my rifles and am very impressed.

I have been looking for a set of skins as well. I can tell you who does not have them.

Schryver
Mile High
SRT
Trigger Time

After calling them all, it appears AI does not currently make skins for the AICS that are available for purchase separately.

They do make skins, but they are for their rifles. Which are different in at least the bolt area. I have no idea what else is different between and AICS and a AW skin. Reading some ancient 09 threads, it can be done (With an M2008), but will require some work.

Maybe that is an option if you can find a set of AW skins. Thats what I'm looking for now.

brand692...

Thanks I found the same info.. Guess its time to take a fusion ride. I will post the results when I have finished. Wish me luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ukdave28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How well does the fusion work, I have heard that it cracks and then starts flaking off. </div></div>

As with any paint job...your prep work is critical to a decent finish.

First, you need to clean/degrease your skins with something like isopropyl alcohol (some folks use brake cleaner, etc., but I have found them to be harsh and frankly, overkill). Then, once clean and air-dried, apply several light coats of an adhesion promoter like Bulldog, Duplicolor, etc. (avail. from your local auto-parts store like Advanced, NAPA, etc.) allowing each coat adequate time to cure. Then, a couple even coats of Krylon followed by a couple of even coats of a matte clear coat. </div></div>

I agree,I have good results with Fusion. Prep work is critical. I would get someone to use Cerakote or at least Duracoat on an AICS because it'll look better than Fusion.

OK so I painted my Skins this weekend and I HATE THEM...WTF was I thinking.

Oh well If anyone has a line on some AICS FDE skins 1.5 long action I would love to buy them. Seems like they are hard to come by.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like how the paint job turned out. Its a shame you aren't looking to go from light to dark because you could dye them, but that isn't going to work in your situation since you are going dark to light. Oh well...

You might try putting a post in the WTB section of the forum and see if you can reel in anything.