• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS Stocks?

dareposte

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2010
Grand Rapids, MI
www.dop3.com
I noticed a lot of folks on here have an AICS stock on their 700's. I like them. Never seen one in person though.

Are there any big drawbacks? Weight? Size? Comfort? They look like they might be heavy. I have HS Precision on my bolts right now but am considering an upgrade.

Re: AICS Stocks?

I just finished installing my 700 into an ACIS . It was in H-S's highest end stock and it was an upgrade I debated for years . All I can say is I should have done it years ago . What an improvement ! The only drawback that I can see is they are on the heavy side . If you decide to take the plunge , have a look at Bauer Arms . They took great care of me on the ACIS . Hope this helps .

The AICS isn't for everyone. It all comes down to personal preference and how the stock feels to you.

I like them and have them on a couple different rifles at the moment, including a Stage 2.0 LA and a stage 1.5 SA. They aren't light by any means...weighing 5lbs+ depending on which model and accessories you have on them (SA/LA, 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0, etc.), which is heavier than many comparable stocks/systems.

Before you buy, best find a shop or someone local to you that has one and "try it on for size" so to speak. It is a lot of money to drop on a piece of equipment that you may not like or that may not meet your specific needs.

If you fill out your profile, someone local to you may take mercy on you and let you check out one of their AICS equipped rifles.

Some like the thumb hole, others don't care much for it. I myself like it alot. I like shooting my AIAWs, so I am in the process of converting my 243 into AICS stock also. It helps to build muscle memory everytime you shoot, whether it's 243, 308, 300 wm, or 338LM.

The stock is a bit heavy compared to others. Something to take into account. I certainly would recommend it.

the aics is not for everyone, you got to try it first, i got 2 of them the 1.5 and the 2.0 they are a heavier than the regular mcmillan.
when it comes to price the mcmillan and the aics are close to each other.
the aics come with mag, when the other ones; you, have a purchase the bottom metal for them.

I just shot a custom 338LM in an AICS 2.0 last week and it was very nice. I didn't think I would like the thumbhole but, it was really comfortable. I liked it so much I purchased a AICS 2.0 SA for my 243 build yesterday from Adam at Bauer Arms. Great people to deal with. His info is in the commercial sales section here.

As others recommended handle one at least. I shot one, I like them, very comfortable. Well designed stock. Just picked a up 1.5 for a SPS Tactical, weighs in at 14.2lbs.

You may have to change out your rings to a higher set, I did.

Try them with and without gloves on. They are great stocks, but you may have to slightly rotate your shooting hand if you are wearing gloves due to the thumbhole arrangement.

I have one and really like it. I haven't shot any other stock to know any drawbacks, but it's very comfortable.

Like most all said, feel one in person first. I'am a big guy(6-4) and have hands that are hard to find gloves for(xxl), that said it took some getting used to for the correct trigger finger placement as you can't slide your hand towards the rear on the thumbhole like a conventional stock. But after using it all my other stocks feel weird. I have two 1.5's and wish the others had them.

I'm opposite from dunecrew, as I have very small hands. The thumphole fits me perfect. If you shoot prone alot its great, but for knelling or standing it is a bit heavy.

I have a 2.0 with all the extras. I do not care for it as a tactical stock for the work I do. I do have a use for it though. I put my Surgeons and 700s in it to see how they shoot and if they are worth bedding ect. It offers a quick check of any compatable barrled action. Quite useful and my dislike of it is not based on quality or proformance. I have dropped some average shooting rifles into it and they shot much better.

I never knew anyone that had a AICS around me so I could try it, but after a while of back and fourth I went ahead an bought one. It was the best thing i ever done, I can get more comfortable behind it than any other one I have ever shot. If you can find someone that has one around you, by all mean try it out first.

I love mine, but like everyone else said, try to get behind one, mount her up, and feel if it is the right one for you --- are we still talking about stock here?!
wink.gif

When I had my AICS, I liked it a lot. I figured I would try a MCM A5 for my next build, well I no longer own any AICS stocked rifles.

Couple of thing I didnt like about the AICS

puts the trigger in the middle of the trigger guard instead of the rear (like most stocks), it was heavy, the comb was a bit high for my taste (heard many others complain about the same thing also) and did I mention it was heavy?
laugh.gif