• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AICS Vise block?

jetracer013

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2014
Philadelphia PA
I have an AR vise block that fits in the magwell and is super-convenient for maintenance work and light modifications. Does anyone know of someone who makes a similar magazine style vise block for AICS mags?

Thanks,
ML

I've used nylon bar stock to make a 308 AR mag vise block. Was in a hurry so it wasn't pretty but it worked. If none are commercially available for AICS pattern, that might be an option. Not where I can look right now but any chance a large AR block could be modified?

I've used nylon bar stock to make a 308 AR mag vise block. Was in a hurry so it wasn't pretty but it worked. If none are commercially available for AICS pattern, that might be an option. Not where I can look right now but any chance a large AR block could be modified?

Probably but I don't have the equipment to make it look nice. Willing to pay for one if there is someone with that capability here?

I 3D printed a block for single shot feeding in my AICS for F-Class. It wouldn't be too hard to extend it a few inches and call it a mag vise block. Printed in solid PETG, it should be strong enough for this type of application. I'll try it out and report back.

I 3D printed a block for single shot feeding in my AICS for F-Class. It wouldn't be too hard to extend it a few inches and call it a mag vise block. Printed in solid PETG, it should be strong enough for this type of application. I'll try it out and report back.

That sounds like it is exactly what I'm looking for. I don't know what PETG is though? I was thinking machining it out of Delrin would be ideal but.....I have no machines.

PETG is Polyethylene terephthalate (glycol modified). It's basically the same stuff they make soda bottles out of with a few modifiers to make it more friendly for 3D printing.

I took the CAD drawing for my single-shot magazine blank and just extended it another two inches. I'm printing one out now with only 20% infill (not solid--solid would take 3 or 4 time as long) so I can test it. out.

QyfF24VJio0m-Iemu3hSN3oPvCmcuLz68LGiklrLCctAijIKHZiQxISUg5H101czo4J1jzUbxdaGExYZo27tkkzXNImqx76hahFpLKxERRr0r-jAY0fzhiWeZ3SH0vCJ57m4hrZjjgELm54CiqTJ-ZSIUdqA2M-U58CwVepBfwUEoDtukm3DeWhFlqHhKkBhdMU6G0zvU47exDJ8tBMzFbvW3TCDJ3mofnW1d09U8OF1gmoQ3DfUWqN-ouWQNJQ7P94qA6Mg1wmkdtDSnP41cPTcquYGKx9ZDNfYx-tM5Jcpb3YpgqQeQ_00VJ_P5CN9-Ygh2dmsYFtKHlfdaXwwjDEH68-xK9YsdLUqtm1iupvxQtztTqXAPFLWNXUipb3r0V7Omyz-SZ4-GIr2sW_5X6yjqY4W7vaiSk-BLQOo0hQuuzKE6u21A0NgZMWdrDvjg2BXQb-aMgS-WeW2SCYKFLmZisH7QwocWDeLs8_6wErW0LSzgj6F1UMM5W7vQtL-IN8FMjTM26t3hqePg87XZn-8uWxPLitQLa0DOXwq2CFdtaOzl6KncNJzaiHABGhBeutgUQQJVvGwfq33scdpfRueKc52-IATJhMkb_TyCC8HxhVhjiSZHWvX7p_R8j9ahOOZZuHpsjxS316DD448xYVsBYgNoGjgr-IWwDHcH8NAckE=w1024

Not a great shot of my printer. It's currently 50 miles away and I started this print remotely. I have a cheap camera pointing at it so I can see what's going on.

10cf1kEcXMMz86BB3opyk9lest4GzAG1OnA8mSgRWoex6KTu6LjPQBE6tq7ro8Onw4Rw6l-GuDagAYohnDhMrlPJoUUDHVLaa-M7EWehmtiKPBv9R-fhxh83yb5XMefdQ9OQrssQg_zNp0wo2XmsmQV2UAOEKCGGnFZs8RVBG5p0InFiym7TMzMhmsAeJUY06-ysKc2tr2Eef1FYZsh8KggB19vxlTBM3BYBzmDbOXxORYlGGNFnkiotWV5TUUdW_qKlBeprlNEq6am-DU6Zf3y6g40vnwIf23xlHKL3RZCHO8d9sciCpvDFNp7l-u5VvAWHfgSkrI7esYMGkB6dRLmerDK2-qF_YiuT16BP-9CAPrycXxUf1ZA1zX8Cudks0jxOd2GuQlvErJtFGCnVuuWuoTfiAltAhtZG3Xglei5OzLRNcf1Yp_gGC05b34jXWkSx1A-PmIQPUwo8Qn5SUOZEi2_bQpMjBTsXfHaHaClRXeVOgvm1j48yZ2tIUMt8vB2GrXOjc8_NNC9l1IwhtnZJufe2R2YAC0l6KHl1S9zSHgpcFctfZgKWifCYVL4pgj3Xgcp0FCIiIa5_9kZYYCy5Ti3dldJgpTHgKAQvqlowUBom13VusPFuZYTvcj1aGPTBUd5Cron-xrRN8r1vq_qnqQKs0er28ZZOnhMfqVP5fJM=w640

Reactions: EN2722
Not to take this too far off track but any recommendation for a 3D printer to play/get started with for something like this?

You can get a kit on ebay or amazon for less than $200 but it will need a lot of dedication and another $2-300 in new/better replacement parts. Plus, you'll need to learn to program the firmware (arduino) and spend weeks to months tuning everything. Of course, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I dig this shit.

Poke around the reprap forums for a few days and see what you think. Set up an account and ask some questions. There's hundreds of people like me that have been through all this there and a wealth of knowledge:

http://forums.reprap.org/

Well, I somehow managed to get the magazine catch in the wrong place. I also noticed that I need to make the bottom half square instead of just extending the tapered part as it won't clamp nicely in a vise. Back to the drawing board.

1ZgwdR4H02wSY4UlV4ywuORR96FJQdlcncyKvviEo_-PsA-6voPSFFTNoyMIshj7JdiIhnDpomiubL4YPpUdeuvCLgTzqEdv69gIenc858deKz2uPqnQGZDZ-O9TiYraSVA-ArZg2i1XfiwHCWpZl4lU8_p6OOTPJDvwZSzfvrZ-on5jwqG75yGbCPwAWoJPcGyO39FNpC9PgWeQIKhZxPP5PIc0yRTTRyRancjfKtxnuaheI5LLV4D2q90DPtOytlfCDbRJLGQJ5MIZUgl7onSaUCx0TTQeDMpbZB-Dwbszq2zGKlzguXOZbE_7SUq_LA_TjMTx8LY-aiJcr27ELVvg-9Xg3pT4suiCpg6yJUqjDbBhx1nwyJaSNqs_z35JmWC5roYCYX1WG7kpHmKyyQisZBwt15vbKuvYTkNP_PwX03oQ2rFws9ZEAvDploJsFUjJyNPx88JoZe64ieQ-8xnlDuHC2Lfyf6CLQrpS1NYduIRotNrMAB23ATKDvko251m_iZTmh35HD-wmoeoVOdK1Fumfm67_5E24HfXBYVwXOrHnutiFE4UBu9lovB1ynVAdYU_xxwy09_INc8jkoeQ-SmoYwuhqq4Nfd1lIpsQOy6T0-IceZO2r5dpk0-AOOBtiTR1PnKzZBDYHLHPQdSHdmSUFtkNBBrxuljFz-S2MUpE=w600

Try #2. I modified the top a bit so it should bear on the receiver across the whole surface instead of pinching it at the front. I changed the block below the mag-well to a square profile so it clamps in a vice better. I also fixed the misplaced mag catch and made it protrude a bit more. Printing now.

7TYLWrrqpOu8Xa3yTUmRHJg5cdL4rirTzcB37kg6dEc8uq7feCcqSUyZa_FdZUuA0ks5m7YIVewd6l0Hkzj6zcZdP4Gnt7TgfKEHo9bRChHzcFEDbBtgJa2rSnjIVPoXS5vCXIbAXODUaVJ549J0TwMCieQdZCetIk9ERvJBOqDrDvy2l7jKxhnq1jUgUjGY-9deNIqvCc94ghWTbGr-QZ5O6gv7ytq1Jwh1a58VmWFv_dqWZaoOhlPDIn9cIU94eMa7mJxCcPB5HKbkzISRXmpfEKsp_3IDDCK1ME0rjeKbqaTuvmK-IbhrhBEUSUKwu9hM76vuR7t9-dfmSc0UGwlkfOq6x-LUB-KFTDbSruQ4OIWTCo1uODODUTnkNgKzapw24jx70ePGmG5_NhAqq3QLKIGEyXIm6PG1p74Qsz48GxPOqo37fA6Cjv2tRbvXlxHp2UVM8YE8lVTccbchdtpPNIjGLM4ay9fcob35NMUl_gXTQPGWQQwyNSJdtLIdJi4u543pNfXBS7mZW1W389JNIbADaocQJLXa35QKO24HHE-H1mkMGUqnR_498CWCg4bOVLv0uEqoSUQa2OAlk_mDtam3pLMeamwh2S3uTjFxyIdFM2dE7Thk0NAOMVK09acT8P2mY8ANDwLqyctfu5_NJqL-ibDdSd1T4Fj8BawC4G8=w1024

CAD files:
vise_block2.step
vise_block2.stl

Well, it works, but doesn't seem very stable. I could tighten some dimensions and get a tighter fit, but it might not fit at all in some other brand of DBM (I used a PTG for testing).

ySB8iY2qdowUErbDPD8O43DeHMP_HNrl1NQQ2SRiC00BRKIPNaDum3bZlodkzjpQ0hBpWO9SBoaLAP66NjCk9x1qu-QNErtszfc0xFafD3uILA-SP9TXaUfM4Yck_qrmLGg8RQ4m5bOHtTJb5SEI3Rc2oQT40b71gktUrLBOLEdAgPIWDIaWWnhjHzuPM-oiJkLYz7bmXcVFUJ2tzLCD6TRwGtLZ7riLKiIDjYC7KFXdVWk81wdmkCLx_PJuMobpGg62OQOBy2bsyW68C-wuJtajgYvv5YeH_2MWt6mn5nEdZWILgYk-HpGaZ-mLq6qjKNwukTU8KKGJUiq4umf_m7fuWUz0g1p_WXk8GLNtFPCXWfN1BuW3Cy5aavMz4gJZi1MNklXj8VeJLCwMp0rfE1RSZ4SMrA-Ep_Z5Bz3vX3MhiXJMzECJVFizia_K5SSFoKSB8MnBDcCgoRZQI6XO7Z6_EqorRkzWMt8nEvnz--49BLNNrUhpgcwvaMBt2giosbGQ240SyO-rbZM6aEAw6Tg9zfi4oGkl5fQoBBmHyMulSTpMh9gxI73Kni2Zz9FFDlCwtuYQeN9aXn9DKNiaWW8ojd1rF0dXgPf7FzoD42b1w7sYtwYDGa5htp4sBhd4BbUFNLWHwlzjfKzyRcD-IWMGKzO1eVFo1-YX_S6EhCahpfg=w1024

pZvMwg1MXS6_ZFHhH_zHUpbffqF3JRLv1sHDXoh2Z-jTwn77i4_pdFhTTcBSiCwhYtIka6McGZ1oQiBurn2Rl166Qqhu0rbWusFsLKRpX59qKJQ6RzPA1FL-VPcZGwvgvXjGSJ7grTq8Gi9Ja_oobelv3nZzXRna7bmhB3T95FcGel0SrHbTadtgnYwC4ggCx1vSm5n213HSzyMfM6TrXm2eW3nnNeBWTgQ3caIKYlt0tV7NRwdydNVNZPqPYx-LPcSavZ4sf8nAoJ6OhBxRkU_n8Jo45E-Gu2a8Wxoo6kbmd_VCR-NbqjV9_SslDbkm_iz3LH7CrViUn9XuHCEtxYJj2ROIcBmZw-QY-uVUKLVqZ7rr205Wx4hdoDTtXBwFDvaqmcx6NaMXbln-HGxGotIxafVAJHUzY8CpUeUpHHCZ-u25_R-hHu8cSdOHv8J45x6mJGA2By8S-_4TBgk0IKHhDUrhYirAmyEdtZHJrNeg6b_2s4boLhzYibpLkoMBoVfkKS9osD95escD-1aPPxwKc692d_Uh7OybAHpdRlXeogTl7TsshnIESw0KskgNowjtd-rnmWDB-O8_iJK5omeonr394uIv4OrE-H98R4nNSYiWf9Fkgb6ZwT8L_FZjnRKMgD8a6MTkTumeqoQSTx9gGGUI1GCR_DOJFaZcifdIJFA=w1024

Reactions: ruebarb
Do you ever fire with the Mag blank? Seems like a perfect concept! Was just about to design one for printing with Nylon when I saw this. Figured I'd see if you have a long term view of it now.

Could these be made to double as a single shot feed mag? I assume one would only want to use these for light maintenance?

To do this right that would end up being another part. Just basically a single shot "follower". I've done em before for folks, not a big deal.
FWIW, a magazine works just as well imo. Throw the case in there, flick with your finger and chase it with the bolt. Easy.

Designed a blank that really puts the round in the right position for easy install, round sits a bit higher than the mag allows while bolt is clear of the blank. Printed one off and works amazing.
The aluminum one would be nice I bet, I'll stick with the plastic, as it seems to have a lower chance of marring the chassis.

I also would like one, aluminum would be acceptable but my preference would be
Delrin? Hard-ass plastic and durable should machine the same (my guess) I've had one for my AR'S for years.
Regardless if Longrifles is willing to do some I'd be in for one no matter what he would
decide to make it out of.

Hmmm. I usually get an email from SH when someone bumps a thread I'm involved in, but I just happened to notice this. I still have all the CAD files for these and could probably crank some out on the 3D printer if I get the time. I've got single-shot CAD models for 3 styles of AICS: SA, LA, and XLR, but I'm not equipped for anything like mass production.

I ordered the Crosstac AICS vise block from above and it came in today. Just handling it out of the box and fooling around with it I think it's just what the doctor ordered. Per the description there's four adjustment screws that allow you to get the block fit properly to the magazine well so there's little to no slop. My AX AICS required the most amount of adjustment because of its funneled shaped magwell but I was still able to get it on there snug so that it didn't rock back and forth. There's no lip on the backside to catch the magazine release lever, it's all friction fit, but I don't really see that as being a necessity to be honest. I tried the mag block on my AX AICS, an Oryx chassis, and a factory Bergara HMR and it worked with all of them, albeit they all required their own little tweaks to the adjustment screws. All in all I think it was money well spent.

They make a version for AICS/Vudoo, however I do not know if it would be compatible with the Bergara B-14R, may have to email them about that.

To do this right that would end up being another part. Just basically a single shot "follower". I've done em before for folks, not a big deal.

With 223?
FWIW, a magazine works just as well imo. Throw the case in there, flick with your finger and chase it with the bolt. Easy.

I ordered the Crosstac AICS vise block from above and it came in today. Just handling it out of the box and fooling around with it I think it's just what the doctor ordered. Per the description there's four adjustment screws that allow you to get the block fit properly to the magazine well so there's little to no slop. My AX AICS required the most amount of adjustment because of its funneled shaped magwell but I was still able to get it on there snug so that it didn't rock back and forth. There's no lip on the backside to catch the magazine release lever, it's all friction fit, but I don't really see that as being a necessity to be honest. I tried the mag block on my AX AICS, an Oryx chassis, and a factory Bergara HMR and it worked with all of them, albeit they all required their own little tweaks to the adjustment screws. All in all I think it was money well spent.

They make a version for AICS/Vudoo, however I do not know if it would be compatible with the Bergara B-14R, may have to email them about that.

I was wondering what those nubs were when I saw the photo in the ad. That's a pretty slick idea and fixes all the problems I had with my 3D printed version (and why I abandoned that endeavor). I may try to print one with some threaded holes for some nylon set screws and see how that works.