• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AICS vs MRAD vs ? in 300 win mag...

Fenix Mike

Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Tulsa, OK
Im at that point where I feel ive pushed a factory rifle to the best of its ability (see other thread with 800m/1000m/1 mile shots) and while I was considering sending it off for a fancy new barrel, some action work and general upgrades, I realized that they tend to not have any value beyond the original cost of the rifle, so if I ever do sell it, im basically throwing the "investment" out the window. With that, I was looking into factory rifles that can consistently outshoot my setup, and of course that tends to narrow it down to the $5,000+ ballpark. I had narrowed it down to AICS and Barrett mainly because they seem like the easiest to resell seeing as how I have an issue keeping a gun for longer than 6 months, but also the expandability with them in simple caliber changes attracts me, and may keep me from selling as I can buy another caliber for a minimal investment and swap it myself. The other reason for these two, is specifically, I want a chassis style rifle, and not a standard stock setup like McMillan, GAP etc have. I love my current MDT setup, have used AICS and barrett in the past, as well as Sako folders, and liked them all.

Where my question comes in, is being there is a SIGNIFICANT cost difference between the MRAD and AICS (almost $3,000), and on the "lower end" the Sako TRG-42 in 300 win (I took it off the list because of the cost of accessories and lack of ability to upgrade/swap barrels/etc), what am I gaining or losing with each setup? Am I missing a solid contender that offers the same chassis setup with caliber changes? The ability swap calibers isn't a make or break, but seeing as how I plan on getting a 27+ inch barrel and sending 225-230 gr bullets out at warp speed, I want something I can change myself if/when it needs a barrel, or if I decide to get back into a XL caliber (MRAD and AICS both offer an XL chassis in 300 win, so I can switch to 300 norma, 338 Lapua, or insert flavor of the month wildcat cartridge) if I ever go that route again.

The Barrett conversion kits come from Barrett and they include a set of lugs to put on your bolt and the barrel is contained in a shroud that fits the MRAD chassis. Perhaps because of the single source: (1) they cost a bit more (2) fewer calibers are available. It also takes a bit longer to change over the MRAD because each barrel has it's own bolt face to go with it. Perhaps if you are changing within a cartridge you would not need to change the lugs but I feel that I need to to keep each lug/bolt face with it's barrel.

The MRAD stock is adjustable for length. The AIAX stock is adjustable for length and the shoulder pad will also move to fit your shoulder pocket perfectly.

The plastic mags for the MRAD seem very robust and reliable.

Both the MRAD and the AI make it easy to be confident of making hits on difficult targets.

If you will be getting a new optic at the same time as the rifle talk to EuroOptic, Sometimes they let some real screaming deals go out the door.

Last edited:
Owning an MRAD this is hard to say. What about AI, AXMC, I think thats the long action barrel change version? It might be easier to get custom(&stock) proof barreled wildcat cartridges. Or any barrel producer for that matter. Your talking about a lot more $. I think you would get most of your money back if you were to sell down the road. The AI action is nicer than the MRAD.

Looks like there is one in the PX.

Last edited:
Accuracy International for the win. Barrels for the MRAD are limited vs almost unlimited ability to get barrels and caliber choices made for the AI. Very simple caliber conversions. The AI has more adjustability and accessories like Really Right Stuff. Im sure the MRAD also has the ability to mount a RRS mount to it but I'm not sure. The MRAD will have a slightly more AR like feel via grip and safety. Accuracy International is my go to and my suggestion.

I have an AXMC in 300WM and would definitely recommend it. Action is amazingly smooth, and barrel swaps are super easy and repeatable. Also, mags are found nearly anywhere so no issue there. And you can get a barrel from practically anyone.
I also have a DTA SRS and that rifle offers the most caliber options of any quick swap barrel type rifle. But I understand the bullpup isn't for everyone. I personally love it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accuracy International for the win. Barrels for the MRAD are limited vs almost unlimited ability to get barrels and caliber choices made for the AI. Very simple caliber conversions. The AI has more adjustability and accessories like Really Right Stuff. Im sure the MRAD also has the ability to mount a RRS mount to it but I'm not sure. The MRAD will have a slightly more AR like feel via grip and safety. Accuracy International is my go to and my suggestion.

I don't think it is all that simple. The OP is not sure that he will ever switch from .300WM so in that caliber the MRAD is over $2,000 dollars cheaper. The MRAD is a heck of a rifle. It is very solid and very easy to shoot well. It has a very good mag. It is not at all uncommon for people who are shopping to buy now to find stunning discounts from that 5,900 price.

I'll never slam the AI, but the choice is not as simple as you make it. Have you owned both?

I don't think it is all that simple. The OP is not sure that he will ever switch from .300WM so in that caliber the MRAD is over $2,000 dollars cheaper. The MRAD is a heck of a rifle. It is very solid and very easy to shoot well. It has a very good mag. It is not at all uncommon for people who are shopping to buy now to find stunning discounts from that 5,900 price.

I'll never slam the AI, but the choice is not as simple as you make it. Have you owned both?

Im not saying it is a simple choice either. Just my thoughts. If never switching from 300 WM why even get an MRAD when you can get the 98B in 300WM for even less? Ive never owned the barrett but have used a fair amount of their rifles. No questioning they are built solid and are very good. I just personally feel you get more with Accuracy International and that is why I own AI rifles

If my memory serves me correctly, (OP) Didn't you have a brand new MRAD in 300 norma you sold this spring? So you know what Barrett has to offer?

If my memory serves me correctly, (OP) Didn't you have a brand new MRAD in 300 norma you sold this spring? So you know what Barrett has to offer?

I do, and I just got rid of a 98B as well. I know Barrett is solid and had planned on buying a MRAD, however im at a place where I can afford an AICS, hence the debacle. I know both will hold value well. I think the AICS is a bit more precision oriented, where as the MRAD is a bit more military and indestructible, so it can be a bit rough around the edges. The biggest issue with the MRAD, as others have mentioned, is the lack of options as I really wanted a 27+ inch barrel, and the MRAD I will be stuck with 24. Is that worth nearly $3,000 to me? tough to say, but im not sure how much velocity I will lose trying to push 225 or 230 gr pills out of a 24 inch barrel, or how much accuracy I will really gain over my current 5R Remington. I was hoping to get some solid pluses and minuses about each setup, specifically those who have an AICS rig and put some serious rounds down range to extended distances.

I do, and I just got rid of a 98B as well. I know Barrett is solid and had planned on buying a MRAD, however im at a place where I can afford an AICS, hence the debacle. I know both will hold value well. I think the AICS is a bit more precision oriented, where as the MRAD is a bit more military and indestructible, so it can be a bit rough around the edges. The biggest issue with the MRAD, as others have mentioned, is the lack of options as I really wanted a 27+ inch barrel, and the MRAD I will be stuck with 24. Is that worth nearly $3,000 to me? tough to say, but im not sure how much velocity I will lose trying to push 225 or 230 gr pills out of a 24 inch barrel, or how much accuracy I will really gain over my current 5R Remington. I was hoping to get some solid pluses and minuses about each setup, specifically those who have an AICS rig and put some serious rounds down range to extended distances.

I would have gone AI, If I could have afforded it when I bought my MRAD. I don't think anyone(but the German) will blame you choosing AI over Barrett and you can get the barrel length you want with a little wait. Hopefully it won't be available by the end of winter when it starts to heat up down there?

For $3,000.00, you could buy the 300 Norma and 300WM barrels and find out for yourself(and a lot of ammo). ABM sells both types of ammo and you could use it as a base line?
Sell which ever barrel doesn't meet your performance needs. And if you change rifles/barrels so quickly I'm sure some of us here would be delighted to buy your gentley used barrels/rifles.

The Barrett isn't perfect, but its close.

Maybe ask yourself why AI are losing Govt sales to Barrett? The MRAD has replaced the AI in several AI strongholds recently and price is/was not the only issue. I have an AI amongst other offerings. It hasn't seen the outside of a safe in about 18m as their is better out there for less.

Maybe ask yourself why AI are losing Govt sales to Barrett? The MRAD has replaced the AI in several AI strongholds recently and price is/was not the only issue. I have an AI amongst other offerings. It hasn't seen the outside of a safe in about 18m as their is better out there for less.

Now this is why I post threads like this! What other rifles do you like? I am by no means displeased with the MRAD, with the single largest factor being I want a longer barrel, but rest assured, I have zero issues with Barrett!

Now this is why I post threads like this! What other rifles do you like? I am by no means displeased with the MRAD, with the single largest factor being I want a longer barrel, but rest assured, I have zero issues with Barrett!

I'm sure the mrad is a great great rifle, but again the availability of the parts/accessories for the AXMC is just massive. I think until Barrett catches up in that department you'll still find most people recommend the Axmc.

Again, I'd also raise the DTA SRS as another option. I love mine.

I've never shot an AI, but I LOVE my MRAD. Is th4e AI better? maybe, but I haven't felt shortchanged. I am content with the available calibers, and the mags are as others pointed out, great. In a 300WM, fluted barrel, the MRAD feels like I'm shooting a stout 223. The recoil is a joke.

Gun people like to show off guns, maybe try to meet up with some local AI and MRAD shooters and see if you can put some rounds down the pipe to see which you prefer?

I've never shot an AI, but I LOVE my MRAD. Is th4e AI better? maybe, but I haven't felt shortchanged. I am content with the available calibers, and the mags are as others pointed out, great.

Gun people like to show off guns, maybe try to meet up with some local AI and MRAD shooters and see if you can put some rounds down the pipe to see which you prefer?
Id imagine both rifles shoot better than I do, and likely at distance im sure I wouldn't have any complaints... Im leaning AX for barrel length and options, but now the barrel twist has me worried

I don't shoot anything that heavy in my 300, but I imagine if you don't like it you shouldn't have a hard time selling the barrel and getting a custom one in any spec you desire.

Mile high said they can do a bartlein in it. Leaning towards axmc and will figure it out this weekend.

Mile high said they can do a bartlein in it. Leaning towards axmc and will figure it out this weekend.

They are great. Have a 6.5 Creed barrel from them, and it shoots very well.

There are the Cadex Kracken and the Remington system to take a look at. Don't know much about either but they do have multi-caliber systems for sale. When getting into this level of product it might make sense to look at them all. I chose the AXMC (psr kit) several years ago when there was little other options. I would buy it again today as it has been a fantastic rifle to shoot. 1:12 .308 works good with the 175-178gr out to 800 and ok to 1000m. 1:11 300wm really works good with 190 & 200gr out to 1400m. And the .338lm carries on from there. I could try other calibers and likely will but it would just be for fun. 1 rifle, 1 scope and most solutions covered make me a multi caliber system fan regardless of who's system and what calibers you choose.

I'm sure you will enjoy what you decide to buy.

Which govt organizations?

There are the Cadex Kracken and the Remington system to take a look at. Don't know much about either but they do have multi-caliber systems for sale. When getting into this level of product it might make sense to look at them all. I chose the AXMC (psr kit) several years ago when there was little other options. I would buy it again today as it has been a fantastic rifle to shoot. 1:12 .308 works good with the 175-178gr out to 800 and ok to 1000m. 1:11 300wm really works good with 190 & 200gr out to 1400m. And the .338lm carries on from there. I could try other calibers and likely will but it would just be for fun. 1 rifle, 1 scope and most solutions covered make me a multi caliber system fan regardless of who's system and what calibers you choose.

I'm sure you will enjoy what you decide to buy.

I would like to hear more on the Kracken but for the money the AI looks like the way to go. I love the Desert tech SRS but I think I would buy the AXMC if I did it over. I had a 98b and I wasn't a big fan of it. I didn't find it that comfortable to shoot compared to other rifles.

Well I broke down and ordered the AXMC... mile high shooting had a FDE 300 win mag in stock, and upgraded the barrel to the Bartlein 27 inch 1:9 twist. I thought to myself what else I could do with that money, but I suppose you only live once! Heres to hopes it can shoot itself :)