• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AIG's modular stock for the Surgeon XL - w/pics

CoryT

Gunsite Rangemaster
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 5, 2004
    Paulden, AZ
    www.gunsite.com
    Having had the system for a while now I thought I'd post this to the group. The rifle pictured is a Surgeon XL action, barreled by Preston with a Bartlien 1 in 9.438 27.5" MTU contour. It's installed in the prototype SABER-FORSST modular stock from Ashbury International Group. The suppressor and muzzle break are from Surefire, the glass is Schmidt & Bender, 5-25 with the Premier Reticles XR reticle.

This thing simply permits no excuses, if I miss, it's my fault.

I actually bolted this up into a McMillan stock used on a different XL gun just to test before the stock system came in. I put the S&B on and boresighted it in the shop. The windage seemed fine,, minor elevation tweak and went out back to check zero at 100. Setup an empty box with a magic marker spot and sent a factory 250gr Lapua Scenar round. Could not see it, walked down to find it IN THE SPOT! Sent two more and had a group .380 edge to edge. It's not getting any better than that, at least not with me behind it. Anyway, enjoy the pics. If I can answer any questions, fire away.

Cory Trapp
    Gunsite Academy, Inc.

Right side, suppressor in place
    right-side.jpg

Left side, folded and can removed
    left-folded2.jpg

800 meter test group for computer calibration
    800m.jpg

1000 meter test group with RUAG 250gr Target
    1000m-RUAG-target2.jpg

1350 meter test group with RUAG 252gr Ball
    1350m-RUAG-ball.jpg

1500 meter test group, 3 shots, 250gr Lapua Scenar handload
    1500m-2.jpg

Cold bore shot, 1333 yards in IPSC 'A' zone plate. Head shot was first, sent a second on the right edge, 3 O'Clock
    1333y.jpg

Cold bore shot, 1430 yards, just prior to RUAG ammo test
    1430y.jpg

Re: AIG's modular stock for the Surgeon XL - w/pics

How much do you think that stock will cost?

Right now I don't even have a projected number. It's being presented to some military groups right now. I've put in some change requests, but I expect the final version is pretty close. I will be available for the Remington actions as well, perhaps others. Being modular, the center section is all that needs to be done for other sctions. There's a 10 shot CIP length magazine version for an XL-2 action as well.

CT

Holy hell, that's good shooting.

I'd like to hear more about the stock, I love the looks of it. Is there a website that has any more info on it?

Shawn

Nice stock, I can't seem to find alot of info on it though. Is there a website for AIG beside the financial investment group? Thanks for your help.

Cory,

Is it bedded or a drop in?

Shawn, thanks for that compliment, but I'll tell you the rifle shoots far better than I do.

The Ashbury web site is still under construction. The stock was displayed at SHOT, there are printed flyers but not much else. I expect it to be finalized very soon. I've asked for a few small modifications, since it's CNC machined it's not hrad to make such small chnges.

The system is designed as a drop in. With a precision receiver like the Surgeon, it works very well. Accuracy in improved by as much as 1/3rd over a traditional glass stock. The high heat generated by the .338LM, especially with a suppressor would actually soften even Devcon Titainium bedding, opening up groups.

I'd probably still skim bed a Remington, since they are almost never concentric.

When it becomes available, I'll be sure to post it here.

CT

how much cost and wat kind of magazine accept do you have a bipod ?

Now there is the stock for my .338 project!

Re: AIG's modular stock for the Surgeon XL - w/pic

Can you describe the recoil dampening system please?

Thanks
    alan

The 5 shot version shown uses the AI magazine. There is a 10 shot version with a CIP length magazine as well. The Remington versions use the AI mag.

There is a bipod stud in the foreend for the AI, Parker Hale or Versa Pod bipod. The bottom portion is a 1913 rail , so something like the Atlas or GG&G rail mount would work as well.

There's no recoil system in the stock, at least nothing special beyond the recoil pad and overall weight. The Surefire suppressor mounts via the muzzle break, which happens to be one of the more effective breaks I've ever used. The can itself actually give more felt recoil, although you can still watch impacts at 500 yards.

Thanks Cory.
    Reason I asked is cause my wife just shot one if their protos in VA. this week end -- 338 with some sort of damped system, Sergeon action.

Old Eyes,
    Your probably referring to the new bipod system they developed, it has a bunch of limbsavers type rubber o-rings all over it. Actually I thought it looked the the stay-puffed-marshmellow man from ghostbusters but the idea was smart.

The Ashbury stock looked very cool, but it was heavier than I thought it should be, I heard somewhere that they priced the stock at $3500 (for just the stock) but I think they did that for military pricing.

I've used the bipod for just a few shots when I was up at the SHOT shot. I does seem to perform as advertised. It's from a group called X-Caliber, I'll see if I can turn up a Web site.

Any speculation on price is just that, speculation. Until develupment work is completed with DOD, I would not expect to see any comercial pricing or availability. We are hoping that will be done before SHOT next year.

I'm looking at the possibility of building a limited run of complete systems, including rangefinder, fire control computer, etc., we'll see if we can make that happen.

CT

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greenspartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice stock, I can't seem to find alot of info on it though. Is there a website for AIG beside the financial investment group? Thanks for your help. </div></div>

Check here. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...3139#Post473139

Speculation or not at Shot Show myself as well as others were told $3000 to $4000 for the stock only. I don't see why the military or DOD would pay more for it then it would be sold to civilian, but then again the government is sometimes stupid like that.

The stock looks very interesting and I sure hope they come way down in price, I would sure like to test one out.

Looks a tad dainty for Mil use....................

I saw that chassis system at the Shot Show,but is not available to the public as of yet.they are still in the experimental stages according to one of their guys i was talking to.but it is a NICE SYSTEM. Also Surgeon had a complete rifle on their booth at the show.
    I have alot of info and brochures on the system at home.i will post some pics and info later when i get home.

Mesa Tactical is marketing an all aluminum stock for rifles called the X-Caliber stock. Is the bipod possibly asociated with Mesa Tactical?

Actually , At that price why do they even bother , as some one will basically make a very similar or better stock for 1/4 the price .

Later CHris

P.S. Oh I forgot , they have already its called the AICS , and is 1/4 the cost , Opps ,

I like it for a drag bag type use. Drag in, shoot, drag out. Run and gun, not streamline enough. I want to build a long range rifle and this type of stock is similar to what I would want.

It use standard bi pod attachment like harris or something diffrent?

I believe it has it's place and should work very well for it. Nice stock.

It's not really set up for a short fast gun gun system. It does work very well for a very long range system like the .338LM. The bipod can attach via the stud in front or the Picatinney rail on the bottom.

There is no cost yet, not even a good guess as to what the cost might be.

CT

nice rig, thanks for sharing. Please post updates on the chasis when more info becomes available.

offtopic: how do you like the Surefire suppressor Cory?

and the muzzle brake/adapter?

(I just ordered the same)

So is the military buying these stocks for use with Surgeopn actions to be used in 338 lapua?

Second.That price is OUTFU*&^#GRAGEOUS! I have a Ross precicion stock of similar design that I use for long-range matches tha is a one piece metal design with adj. cheek, 3 way adj. butt, acc. rail, pistol grip....for $1200

And...the military quite often pays more than civilians for the same item. When i was in, I found out that they paid more for Colt M16's @ the time, than I bought one for myself. Granted...the military version had a 3 rd burst, but that really didn't add any manufacturing cost to the rifle.

Chris

I'll say it once more, THERE IS NO PRICE SET YET. The military is looking at the system, there is no purchase agreement, no contract, no bid, no quote.

What the military 'pays' for an item often includes far more that the item itself. Spare parts, support, documentation, tracking of production lots, training, all sorts of things get bundled into a contract at a line item price.

CT

Guys the first thing that you need to realize when commenting about this stock is basically what Cory said. It's not made for you. The only thing that matters is what the end user requires. It's a specific item built for a specific purpose. It wasn't made to be drug through the bushes. What it was designed to do it excels at.

Just explaining. Don't get your feathers in a wad.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll say it once more, THERE IS NO PRICE SET YET.

CT </div></div>

Then the guys running the both at Shot should have kept their mouth shut then. Just saying.

Interesting design. For the run and gun type of application,it at least IMHO,doesn't appear to be sturdy enough. Plenty of opportunity to snag and get tied up.

The action and barrel-absolutely an ass kicking package-but if you are going to hump that much iron and glass,I think I'd rather go with something along the line of the GAP TIS concept-ie,a graphite FULLSIZE stock. With nothing to swing,latch,catch and generally fuck up.

On the other hand,it IS another excuse for yet ANOTHER 338LM system.
    smile.gif

I would love to try the no vibration bipod, it was intriguing.

I'm sure that Ashbury will change the price, but that is what I was told by their rep, I know several others were told the same.

Wow...

This stock looks very intersting. I'm currently thinking about an AICS 2.0 for my .338LM build but now I'll probably wait to see how much $$$ this setup is also.

Very interesting indeed.

smile.gif

What EXACTLY was this designed for, since it EXCELLS at EXACTLY that.....

Either I'm missing something or I'm right on the money. I'm curious to see if you say it.

It's designed to provide a modular, stable accuracy enhancing platform where a military sniper can configure the system to their exact needs.

The forward rail system provides places to attach the LRF, IR laser and UNS NVG. Remote switches can be placed on the same rail or at the rear of the stock for operation by the off hand. The butt hook can be replaced with a monopod if desired. A 10 round CIP length magazine receiver section is an option.

Accuracy has been improved by 1/3 over a conventional bedded stock. The 338 generates so much heat that during desert testing even Devcon Titainium epoxy got soft and allowed the stock to flex, not good.

The design is operator driven. It might not be what YOU want, but it IS what THEY want.

I, for example, have no need at all for the railed foreend. I've got nothing to attach out there. In that case, simply attach a more conventional U section foreend.

Nice stock.
    smile.gif

Nice shooting.
    smile.gif

That kinda looks like Utah in those pics.
    smile.gif