• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aikido is it real?

jasonahull

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
everett washington
I wonder some times because the demos always seem well rehearsed.
This looks somewhat real. What do you think?

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvTxSZ9Y7D4"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kvTxSZ9Y7D4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: Akido is it real?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are pretty good dogs from what I hear. </div></div>

oops.

A-Hull,

I grew up in Lacey and attended the Tacoma Aikido Club in the 80's. I know it is still there and to answer any and all questions you may have I would simply suggest you take the drive and visit. I would give them an A+ recommendation.

I can't speak for the video, but Aikido is real.

And it works. A good friend of mine is an Aikido sensei. Provided one spends the time necessary to become good at it, it is very effective.

But it is not as easy to master as some of the other martial arts so it's not as popular here.

when I was 14, I had a chance to take it from a dude in ocean shores. Back then I thought it was really cool because of steven segal movies. With the whole mma thing, what i should ask is, is it effective. It is one thing when you are 6'3 and throwing around little asian guys running at you, but what about in a fight against a trained fighter. It looks cool and effective but, can they throw around a mma fighter with such ease?

I suggest that you attend one of the quality demonstrations in North America, and watch as the two biggest men in the audience are unable to lift an old man, 8th Dan, four foot eleven, one hundred and thirty pounds.

well a-hull...

I used to teach a self defense course to LE and Corrections that is primarily based off of Aikido/Jiu Jitsu wrist locks, balance, and the basic 16 patterns of movement...

I've watched 100lb women throw big rednecks...

the principle is small joint manipulation, pick a joint that you can manipulate, then essentially apply a relatively small amount of force and the attacker will throw himself...

It is particularly effective for the weak against the strong. One uses the attackers energy and momentum against him. It's about timing and technique, not strength. Which is probably another reason it never caught-on here.

That video is obviously a work. Below is an accurate representation of two gentleman skilled in two different martial arts (one aikido and one submission fighting).

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XW_J4IYf7SM&feature=youtube_gdata_player"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XW_J4IYf7SM&feature=youtube_gdata_player" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I rolled with an Aikido practitioner once and found him to be rather helpless. He was shocked at how ineffective his pressure point oriented "submissions" were. However, the guy I was rolling with was a long way from being an aikido master, so maybe someone more experienced would fare better.

as a side note...

MMA is so hugely popular that I have several younger relatives and their friends that actively train in it several time a week...

they routinely come get tossed around by my wife and I, wrist locks are banned in most sport fighting because if the damage they can inflict, granted these guys aren't top flight MMA guys, but I'm an Aikido amateur in the grand scheme of things.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">as a side note...

MMA is so hugely popular that I have several younger relatives and their friends that actively train in it several time a week...

they routinely come get tossed around by my wife and I, wrist locks are banned in most sport fighting because if the damage they can inflict, granted these guys aren't top flight MMA guys, but I'm an Aikido amateur in the grand scheme of things. </div></div>

If I'm ever in McAlester, I would love to come train with you. Conversely, let me know if you are ever in Grand Junction, CO. A friendly sparring session would be fun for both if us and afterwards dinner is on me.
smile.gif

Graham and Force....I know they are capable of really cool stuff.
That guy that was teaching classes when I was a teenager did some amzaing stuff too. Some krav maga stuff looks like aikido as well. Against someone who is just a thug there are alot of things that are very effective. I just wonder how easy it would be for those guys to throw around peolpe that train in mma. Not just some crackhead trying to rob them or sucker punch them. The demonstrations look like guys just blindly rush in only to get slammed around. What if they had to face a cold calculating fighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcfd2201</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A-Hull,

I grew up in Lacey and attended the Tacoma Aikido Club in the 80's. I know it is still there and to answer any and all questions you may have I would simply suggest you take the drive and visit. I would give them an A+ recommendation. </div></div>

2nd that, I've known 3 people trained there.

I've been doing Shotokan Karate for what, 6 years now. It's different than Aikido but similiar in some regards - and none of them related to the footwork - that's bass ackwards from almost all arts yet HIGHLY EFFECTIVE.

I do not know if my body could take it, starting over...my joints could not.
We do joint manipulations and MANY of ours came from Aikido and Kenpo.

I hope I never have to find out if my Karate works but I have no doubt it will.

Aikido rocks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if they had to face a cold calulating fighter. </div></div>What if?

I guess that's why they call it fighting. Because one can't take the individual out of the equasion.

Otherwise each martial art could publish the last word and close its doors...until there was only one left.

Ain't happenin'.

Krav Maga uses Aikido moves.. they don't just look like Aikido, they are... Krav Maga scavenges effective techniques from anywhere it can...

Aikido and Jiu Jitsu is also very closely related... along w/ Budo and Judo

MMA and Krav Maga also share a core principle.. use whatever works... Krav Maga is a non sport MMA and IMHO the best bet for self defense

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What if they had to face a cold calulating fighter. </div></div>What if?

I guess that's why they call it fighting. Because one can't take the individual out of the equasion.

Otherwise each martial art would publish the last word and close its doors, until there was only one left.

Ain't happenin'. </div></div>

I have been looking and have not seen an aikido Demo that looked real against another fight style,You know where the guy gets thrown around like an idiot. That being said, It is sure cool looking when they do throw people around. And in the real world I dont know too many trained fighters that go around starting stuff anyway. For self defense I think Aikido would be fun to learn simply because I think it makes people look like complete wimps as they go flying through the air.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Krav Maga uses Aikido moves.. they don't just look like Aikido, they are... Krav Maga scavenges effective techniques from anywhere it can...

Aikido and Jiu Jitsu is also very closely related... along w/ Budo and Judo

MMA and Krav Maga also share a core principle.. use whatever works... Krav Maga is a non sport MMA and IMHO the best bet for self defense </div></div>

Agreed. I think the very basic stuff is easy to pick up with just a little practice. With Aikido what turned me off was it was almost like religion, I didnt need that so I couldnt get in to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you think it was like a religion w/ empty hand... try w/ weapons...lol </div></div>

Funny. Seriously, I had a hard time not laughing when the guy would say certain things.
Not in a disrespectful way, but I cant say somethings unless I really mean it. And when he would go on about protecting all living things.... I thought, except for the buck in the cross hairs right.

The first class i went to was one of the first ones he had permission to teach. We did this breathing thing where we sat on the floor on our knees right foot over left. He would clap, we breath in, pause, clap again breath out.
This went on for a few minutes. At the end he clapped like seven times fast, that was supposed to end that exercise. Well he forgot to mention that little fact so we all hyper ventilated. Pretty funny. He was nervous.

and just an FYI... the discipline... almost religious aspect... is fairly important, IF you're just using Aikido...

for example.. in the video you posted, notice when the Aikido practitioner used the attacker's hood... that comes from the ability to remain calm, see everything, and exploit it...

why it all works so well w/o strength is that you use what the attacker gives you against them... be that their strength, balance, clothing, etc...

in any attack, your attacker will give himself to you, he has to in order to attempt to inflict damage on you... the average guy will give you one or both arms, either attempting to punch or grab... what are attached to arms? hands.. and attached to hands are fingers... fingers are very small joints, easily manipulated, even by weaker defenders, use the fingers to take the wrist past it's strength point, then use the wrist to take the arm past it's strength point, into the shoulder, torso, etc...

same thing works on the feet and legs...

part of the reason you won't see a video of Aikido being effectively used against another discipline is that to truely use Aikido effectively... you have to be willing to damage the joints...

much like Krav Maga... it isn't a sport, practitioners aren't playing... the first thing I tell anyone that wants to learn a technique is "if you resist, this will cause damage"... if you try to use your pain resistance and muscle through it, it'll rip tendons break small bones easily, and eventually cause a radial fracture in the long bones...

watching that Turkish submission fighter against the Aikido practitioner, the first thing I thought when the Aikido guy was being choked from behind is "why isn't he breaking fingers and coming out"... well because it's a demo, he doesn't want to damage the guy, he also might not be super experienced... who knows....

Aikido is a thinking man's art... like chess... anticipate your opponent's moves... why you see Aikido practitioners seem to calmly stand and wait for someone to rush in... if someone really wants to attack, you keep as much distance as possible and they'll eventually either give up or rush, they have no other choice... once they rush, they've given you their balance... once they close and strike out, they've given you a whip ass handle... if there isn't an opening, you just move and reestablish distance.. make them try again

That is why i posted it. It looked the most real. It is one of the few demos where the attacker doesnt just run straight at the guy.

Re: Aikido is it real?

There are several styles of martial arts that are real and have real world applications. If you want to learn a martial art, I would suggest you learn Muay Thai, and or Brazilian Jujitsu.

If you train truthfully you will sustain injuries just like in the real world. Body conditioning, proper warm up and stretching is a key factor in reducing injuries. The biggest challenge is not physical but mental. Also, not many people enjoy paying money to get beat, but that is what it takes to gain real world experience and learn.

If you are set on Akido and have the opportunity I would suggest you travel to Japan during a "summer camp", I believe that is how Steven Segal learned.

Most importantly find a great instructor who is humble. If the instructor has students who are Black belts after only a year or two find a different instructor as I believe it takes 4-5 years to get a grasp of Martial arts.

Good luck!

Eh... here is my take on it - traditional styles all have holes. Some styles focus on striking but the ground game is weak, some emphasize the grapple but are weak in striking. Finesse moves - locks and what not - are cool tricks to work on in the safety of the dojo. However - unless one is very accomplished and the opponent is less than, finesse moves generally don't cut it. The name of the game in the real world is explosive violence. Locks are great once folks are gassed and you get to the ground or bunched up in a corner - now it is about control.

Traditional styles are what I refer to as old man karate (yes, I participate in old man style too). You can do these styles until your an old man, spar, stay limber, be comfortable watching punches and kicks coming your way and mount a counter. Over 40, rolling with some capable, strong, mid 20 yr olds in MMA - over time you're gonna have series of nagging injuries. Conversely, you can trade shots pretty well with that same mid 20 yr old in most traditional styles with less risk of injury. It is just a different level of wear and tear to really be rolling often as opposed to stand up.

The other thing - too much emphasis is placed on 'style'. After a certain level it is about the ability to watch the opponent, simultaneously see opportunities while picking up on visual cues that indicate that the attack is about to commence, parry, block, side step, or outright stuff that attack, and mount your own counter. In short - it is about the athlete.

Any training is good training, get some and then don't be afraid to move on and get some totally different training to compliment what you already have.

Good luck

ETA - ya, that film in the op is choreographed just like a Rockettes number - really a BG grabs someone by the lapels like that? Only in a dojo. In the real world there is a corresponding knee to the stomach, a forehead to the bridge of nose, a blast to sack, or stomp to the inside of the knee. Same / same with those pretty high kicks to the head that our hero was able to duck under. Looks pretty cool on celluloid, not so much in the real world.

Mo Zam Beek makes very good points, especially about learning all you can and filling in holes in your game and nagging injuries over 40
smile.gif

I try to look at things very simply, so if there is a BEST form of fighting everyone interested in fighting would want to learn it while keeping in mind things change and improve all the time.

I think there's enough money in the UFC these days that if one felt he could gain an advantage learning one form of training over another they would do it. Any form of fighting that stands up to a trained aggressor should in theory stand up to an untrained one. Maui Tai, wrestling, jujitsu seem to be the standout forms these days and practiced by the guys who make a living training and fighting. Granted there are rules in the UFC and NONE in a real fight, but it's also is somewhat reasonable to think if someone can kick your ass staying within the rules, you won't fair any better without them just get hurt worse while taking the same ass whooping.

Small joint manipulation while very painful, will not stop a fight, one can see many instances where even breaking arms, ankles and legs hasn't stopped a fight. Knock out's and choked till put to sleep, complete incapacitation is the is the only short term guarantee for escape/success.

On another note, anytime you see someone fighting multiple attackers and making it look easy let alone winning, is highly suspect in my experience. I don't even want to get into the weapons aspect of it other than to say speed, cardio and a good pair of sneakers is your best bet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: a-hull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when I was 14, I had a chance to take it from a dude in ocean shores. Back then I thought it was really cool because of steven segal movies. With the whole mma thing, what i should ask is, is it effective. It is one thing when you are 6'3 and throwing around little asian guys running at you, but what about in a fight against a trained fighter. It looks cool and effective but, can they throw around a mma fighter with such ease? </div></div>

Since your original question was: is Akido real? I feel like google could have answered that.

Whether or not someone practicing Akido could toss around and MMA fighter with ease can only be answered by the skill level and experience of those fighters. As MMA is MIXED it would also depend a great deal on what else the Akidoka knows in addition to Akido; since in the modern age few martial arts practicioners are "pure" and employ a range of skills.

Aikido is very good and effective, I used it all the time back when I worked in a night club. The holds are priceless. Ive taken more martial arts than many in my life but honestly the most useful thing I ever learned for a real world situation...boxing. You spend a few months in a pro boxing gym, sparing, really learing to throw a punch, how to take one and defend against someone who knows how to throw. Well, nuff said

My first duty station was in Sasebo in the early 90's. I really wanted to get into Kendo but being a lowly E-nothing at the time I really couldnt swing the cost of the gear unless I was willing to sacrifice my beer money (wasnt happening).

Long story short I ended up getting hooked on Aikido and stayed with it for three years (2-3 hr sessions 3 sessions per week when in port). My Sensei studied under Morihei Ueshiba and aside from being old as dirt (80 something) he was about the size of Yoda. What convinced me that it wasnt BS was at the first session he invited the three new gaijin to take their best shot at him. I tried in earnst to deck the little shit only to find myself flying through the air and landing on my ass. OK my skills at the time were nothing more than typical high school fights however one of my buddies was a Golden Glove and was trying for a spot on the Navy Boxing team and he too quickly ended up on his ass by way of a tiny old Asian man.

IMO its not BS but I dont think its fair to compare it to MMA since MMA isnt a specific form but rather a sampling of the best parts of several styles and yes there are still rules that are followed within the ring that would not be in a survival situation.

The area where I think Aikido really shines is in the use and defense against edged weapons. My outlook on knife fighting is also the same for defending against a dog...you will get bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sgt. 0811</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aikido is very good and effective, I used it all the time back when I worked in a night club. The holds are priceless. Ive taken more martial arts than many in my life but honestly the most useful thing I ever learned for a real world situation...boxing. You spend a few months in a pro boxing gym, sparing, really learing to throw a punch, how to take one and defend against someone who knows how to throw. Well, nuff said </div></div>

This 100%. Boxing, Jui Jitsu (Brazilian)/Wrestling are IMO the best methods of hand to hand combat (With a mix in all three i.e. MMA). I boxed for a while as a kid, got my ass kicked plenty, learned a lot. However most great boxers, martial arts guys will tell you this. If you want to learn the art of hand to hand combat take boxing/martial arts, if you want to learn self defense, carry and train with a firearm.

As Bruce Lee confirmed and showed us Gung Fu, the next star to rise, Chuck Norris used Tea Kwon Do, then the late 80's brought us Steven Seagal and Aikido. The mid 90's brought us Mui Thai and a host of others with the current 2k's giving us MMA(essentially you throw a strike, close, and roll around on the ground until someone gets choked out)

Me, I'll take Tea Kwon Do and Arnis and combine the learned techniques of both as I have for many years. It works for both stretching, flexibility, and allows for a certain ability to stop fights quick

Aikido works after 20 years of training. ANd it works best on untrained bar fighters.

it's real_as the martial applications of taj-chi-chuan are ruthlessly real_the issue is the time needed to master those internal fighting styles (or lifestyles ?).Both are real good for your health & mind,anyway,even if,as ever,japs invented nothing:the mother of all is the taj-chi-chuan,more complicated,complete,delicate and deadly,admitted that someone can live a life so long to learn and master his infinite ways,after finding who can & will teach _anyway,don'be fooled because some bad guy rolls away:if those techniques were applied differently,without allowing the rolling,the bad can& will be crippled_or dead_forever

my maximum respect,but I think that a double-tap is better,and a full burst is the best_(perhaps,I'm wrong_can be)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As Bruce Lee confirmed and showed us Gung Fu, the next star to rise, Chuck Norris used Tea Kwon Do, then the late 80's brought us Steven Seagal and Aikido. The mid 90's brought us Mui Thai and a host of others with the current 2k's giving us MMA(essentially you throw a strike, close, and roll around on the ground until someone gets choked out)

Me, I'll take Tea Kwon Do and Arnis and combine the learned techniques of both as I have for many years. It works for both stretching, flexibility, and allows for a certain ability to stop fights quick </div></div>

The part on Bruce Lee is only partly true. When he started off his career he was a strong advocate of Gung Fu. Chuck Norris himself taught Bruce the advantages of being able to throw high kicks. However as Bruce's career advanced he started to come to the conclusion that Gung Fu wasn't the best. So began his adaptations, and eventual conceiving of the idea of Jeet Kun Do.
Some people mistakenly take the concept of Keet Kun Do as an actual style, but it is more a way of thought, or spiritual approach. There is a reoccuring theme to martial arts when it comes to students embarking on the Way. I'll take a lesson taught in Iai (The Art Of Sword Drawing). Of which has many lessons in Zen.
If one to seperate the various minds of the practitioner into three groups.

1)In the beggining when the student embarks on the Way. S/he finds that the Way (if the sword, rifle, knife, or empty hands) makes them the master of the enviroment through practice of the Way.
2)Through long and studious practice the student finds that all things have a purpose. With this long practice all weapons can be used effectively. To the point where a grain of sand can hide a mountain.
3)Approaching mastery they practioner finds that s/he and it cease to exist. That there is no divide between them, the Way, and the world. It is here that they come upon a state of Mu, or No-thing-ness (not to be confused with the idea of nothing...which is still something).

In essence the practioner must first learn the form, and then learn to be formless. This can be shown in various texts, styles, or in this case movies. I will use Jackie Chan's movie the Druken Master with the teaching of the Eight Druken Gods.....because I think its funny. =P

http://youtu.be/2CtAHLGlRbI

Here you can see the first seven forms to be set, and rigorous. While the last (Miss Ho) is actually unseen and off camera so the viewers don't glimpse her. Only at the end of the movie does Jackie learn the final form fighting the villian, and defeating him.
As for the idea of entering a knife fight, and being cut. I'll do a quotation instead.

"If one puts his mind in the action of his opponent's body, his mind will be taken by the action of his opponent's body.
If he puts his mind in his opponent's sword, his mind will be taken by that sword.
If he puts his mind in thoughts of his opponent's intention to strike him, his mind will be taken by thoughts of his opponent's intention to strike him.
If he puts his mind in his own sword, his mind will be taken by his own sword.
If he puts his mind in his own intention of not being stuck, his mind will be taken by his intention of not being struck.
If he puts his mind in the other man's stance, his mind will be taken by the other man's stance.
What his means is that there is no place to put the mind."
-The Unfettered Mind

In all things it is not the Way that makes the man great, but the man that makes the Way great. Strive to learn 10,000 things, but know one well. Last but not least. Constant practice is the only way to mastery.
Now Tengu must leave now, because there is supposed to be a wet t-shirt constest later tonight. =P Hope this is done with enough clarity to be of aid. If not....oh well.

Life has taught me one thing. No matter how good you are, how big or bad ass, how well trained, how fit or fat, this art or that, there is always going to be someone who can hand you your ass..........

From what I remember there are four different philosophies withint Aikido based on where Morihei Ueshiba was in his life. During the first "phases" of concepts Aikido was geared more towards a combat style with more strikes and a few kicks incorporated into the throws and locks and was parallel to Aiki-Jutsu techniques with more joint manipulations. As Master Ueshiba got older my thought is he would "challenge" himself to master the throwing techniques and manipulating the body to do what he wanted it to do. Aikido is based on using your opponents balance, or lack there of, against himself and with a few manipulations, knock your opponent on his back or stomach. Aikido is among the first Martial Arts that was to be true self defense without any strikes but a series of ground locks to keep your opponent immobilized or tire himself out. Try getting thrown down with the wind knocked out of you over and over again and see how long you can keep your wind.

I completely missed this discussion, good stuff so far. I'll try not to regurgitate too much of it, but I studied Aikido for 3 years and plan to get back into it as soon as my schedule stabilizes. Like any martial art, it requires that the student take it seriously and push themselves in the application. There are plenty of Aikido students who think there is some magical trick that will enable them to defeat a giant, and they will get hurt. There are also many students who work very hard at bringing different techniques and approaches from the other arts to train against. In the dojo I attended there were high-level students of several other arts, who would share their techniques with the class so we could learn from them and against them.

The part I find most attractive about Aikido is the intelligence in the art. Rather than just using destructive forces to gradually or suddenly defeat your attacker, Aikido looks at the forces of the attacker and scales itself accordingly. If he comes in hard, he goes down hard. This is why you don't see other high-level martial artists go flying when they face an Aikidoka, they aren't going to commit the force that may be used against them, so it ends up rather unspectacular.

Also, the joint manipulation gets a lot of attention, as it is a large part of the strategy of controlling your opponent, but there is a comprehensive use of unbalancing and throwing.

The most frustrating part for me is that people don't understand what gets lost in the transition from training to demonstration or sparring. In many of the techniques, the Aikidoka puts the attacker in a position where their continued attack will cause serious injury to themselves, such as the joint-locks. In sparring or demonstration, if the attacker doesn't understand the position they are in, the Aikidoka often must relax the technique to avoid serious injury. In training, students are taught to throw themselves in a way so that the technique can be followed through without harm to anyone. This is where the flying students come in, they are allowing the full energy to be diverted by the defender. In reality, when you use a fast joint lock, the other person usually isn't trained to throw themselves out of the way, so it ends up in a brutal dislocation.

as any movie scene,we must remember that to dance a tango is mandatory being two,therefore if a good part of the spectacularity come from the starring,another good part belong to any athlete performing his counterpart,intended as be submitted to some techniques on the stage,and after that coming home unhurted_on real practice,the interesting side of the INTERNAL oriental styles of combat,and I think even Aikido can be counted among them,the practice between two students flow right until one of the two commit some error: at this instant becomes vulnerable,putting himself at risk_without this error,an outside spectator will only see two persons only lightly touching among themselves,rotating together exactly like dancing_ Internal styles were engineered with the intended target(among others),of offer a way to learn and practicing along ALL THE LIFE of the sudent,giving a way to getting older in the best phisical shape available, continuing to practicing _The real combat applications are the most cryptical part of the internal styles,even for the orientals,for multiple reasons,even if the more understandable for an occidental can be the evergreen prohibition of some gov.t power to allow to his people to be too much proficient in any reacting task(therefore,especially for monks, it was better disguise it as simple fitness or dance )_Must be remembered too that in the far east middle-age the the average daily meal was perhaps a little bit insufficient to train the most part of the locals heavy-weight-wannabe-VanDammes anyway,and that the healing rate from what today we can consider serious injuries was really low_I say all above with all my real respect for the personal choice of anyone about martial arts,adding my best wishes to anyone who can find the will and the time to accost himself to one of them:never will be wasted time_never

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rprecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Life has taught me one thing. No matter how good you are, how big or bad ass, how well trained, how fit or fat, this art or that, there is always going to be someone who can hand you your ass.......... </div></div>

Ahh!! Then you have already been defeated. =P Although it is true that no man is invincible we must remember our spiritual bearing. Along with our mental attitude. Take note to what others have mentioned in this thread when they say "the enemy gives you his stength, balance, ect." But to quote a very popular text:

"In ancient days warriors made themselves unbeatable by constant practice. Knowing they could never become invincible, their efforts enable them to see the vulnerability of intended victims. They did not think in terms of beating the enemy by overwhelming him with boastful actions, but rather, they saw the reality of extending their skills through the enemy, which they acknowledged was the same things as physical combat. They were also aware of their own limitations.
They constantly practiced, knowing there was no other way they could make the enemy vulnerable. The enemy had to do that himself. Because a warlord knew how to win does not mean that he did-but he did know that the enemy had the same attitudes and would be seeking the same results. Regardless, he continued to practice untill he became the very object he was seeking and, in so doing, learned that if invincibility exists at all it lies in the attitude of attack-offensive or defensive."
-The Art Of War, Book 4

To quote yet an other ancient master =P:

"The manner in which a warrior carries himself is of the utmost importance both physically and mentally. You are undoubtedly familiar with men who are quiet and strong and seem to be doing nothing.
They do not appear to be tense and do not appear to be in disarray. They simply appear. This is exactly the appearance for which they strive. When it is necessary to attack, they do so with complete resolve, sure of themselves, neither overbearing in attitude nor with false humility. They attack with one purpose and one purpose only-to destroy the enemy. They do not take false postures when they prepare for attack. They simply attack with all their heart and soul.
A small man can beat a much larger man and oe man can beat many men in a fight. Allow your wisdom to develop by constantly striving to perfect yourself in your own art and by understanding the arts of others. When you understand yourself and you understand the enemy you cannot be defeated. Be aware at all time of what is right and wrong among men. Do not permit yourself to be intimidated by the size of the enemy. Do not be fooled by your own misunderstanding of what your purpose is. To do so is wrong thinking and means that you are not studying the principles of my Way properly.
Whether on or off the battlefield, there is no diffrence in spirit. The warrior sees all of life as a battlefield. Do not lose heart if the enemy's appearance is overwhelming. You must commit yourself to constant study in order to develop the perfecion in your soul evident in the demeanor of the spirit."
-Miyamoto Musashi, Book of Five Rings, Book Of Water

SSSamurai.....martial art isn't an intellectual activity....although it takes a strong and intelligent spirit...bah....I mean *cough* caw caw. =P
However, on a side note, the little I've encountered in joint manipulation like Akido. I've found that my body would actually throw itself when the person teaching was applying the techniques. Interesting....=P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilecoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my maximum respect,but I think that a double-tap is better,and a full burst is the best_(perhaps,I'm wrong_can be)</div></div>

get within my reach and I'll show how useless a firearm sometimes is... and I don't say that to be a "bad ass"... but your thinking is very dangerous

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The most frustrating part for me is that people don't understand what gets lost in the transition from training to demonstration or sparring. In many of the techniques, the Aikidoka puts the attacker in a position where their continued attack will cause serious injury to themselves, such as the joint-locks. In sparring or demonstration, if the attacker doesn't understand the position they are in, the Aikidoka often must relax the technique to avoid serious injury. In training, students are taught to throw themselves in a way so that the technique can be followed through without harm to anyone. This is where the flying students come in, they are allowing the full energy to be diverted by the defender. In reality, when you use a fast joint lock, the other person usually isn't trained to throw themselves out of the way, so it ends up in a brutal dislocation. </div></div>

Agreed. Some people think that Aikido is fake because the Uke (the receiver of the throw) falls so easily but essentially he has only two choices: 1) relax and go with the throw and fall in a safe manner helping the Nage (the one who throws) train or 2) fight the move and dislocate or break something. Aikido is a very spiritual martial art and as such requires years of training to even begin to understand it. In short, it is very real.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Force_Multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilecoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my maximum respect,but I think that a double-tap is better,and a full burst is the best_(perhaps,I'm wrong_can be)</div></div>

get within my reach and I'll show how useless a firearm sometimes is... and I don't say that to be a "bad ass"... but your thinking is very dangerous </div></div>If you read more accurately,you will find that my joke was addressed only to a joking reply received by mr.Shankster_Outside the jokes, I fully agree with you_Best regards_

How come the aikido master didn't throw the guy in the video I posted earlier?

Perhaps aikido is something that has to be experienced to be believed? Do any of you know an aikido guy in Grand Junction, Colorado, I could spar with? I'm not looking for a death match or a dojo storming, just a live demonstration against a resisting opponent (me).

I know an Aikido 5th degree black belt. I believe it is real, I would not want to make the mistake of thinking I could kick the wrong persons ass. That is the only way to really find out.

Then you can make it on reality T.V. getting your ass tossed like a rag doll.