• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Aimpoint M2, M3, M4s - differences??

500grains

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2008
dirt nap
Other than battery life, are there any performance differences between the Aimpoint Comp M2, M3 and M4s?

Re: Aimpoint M2, M3, M4s - differences??

This won't cover it all, but the main differences are in battery style and life. The M4 uses AA, which is nice, as they are common. Not worth the added price for the convenience, IMHO, as the batteries in all models last a ton anyway. The M3 has a longer rated battery life than the M2, but again, it's not that big a deal, particularly in a civilian application.

Other differences are some modest weight differences, as well as weather or not they come with the "ruggedized" rubber cover. I do also think there at MOA/size of dot differences within models. You'll have to read up before you select a particular one.

the reason i don't like aimpoint because of those chinese clones. A lot of chinese aimpoint make a lot 100% like a real deal. I can't tell the differences
frown.gif

I think I noticed a slightly less blue-ish hue to the image on the M3 vs. an M2. Something that was definitely noticeable between the old gen Comp XD and an M2.

So far I haven't really had any good reason to upgrade any of my old M2's and ML2's.

The M3 is what I recommend. You have the option of the 2Moa Dot.......which I prefer. Plus it has a cool rubber cover to keep the optic from getting beat up. Batteries last a few more "years" over the M2....ha ha!! The M4 is nice, batteries last a life time in dog years, but is much more expensive than the M3.
My next red dot will be a M4s though.

I used to be a Supervisor in the Trijicon ACOG Department. Now I'm a Military and Law Enforcement Equipment Retailer.

It basically comes down to differences in "Battery Life" and "Environmental Specs" (like water depth test).

The Aimpoint CompM4 and CompM4S are the only two that are truly "different" in several respects.

Aimpoint CompM4 / CompM4S
+ Uses AA batteries (instead of traditional Aimpoint batteries)
+ The Housing is Aircraft Grade Aluminum (instead of High Strength Polymer Plastic)
+ Comes with a Picatinny Rail Mount and Killflash (the other Aimpoint scopes come without mounts)
+ Comes with Bikini style lens covers (You can add the normal Aimpoint Flipup Lens Caps separately)

----------------------------

From another part in the thread:

Sometimes it is hard to figure out the "cheap chinese knockoff" vs "real authentic product" sites are. The best way is to see if they are a legitimate Aimpoint Dealer. You can do an Aimpoint Dealer search here:

http://www.aimpoint.com/where_to_buy

The bottom line is......you have to do the research about the businesses you deal with. Only buy from legitimate companies. Check to see if that business is a "dealer" of the product line you're buying.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask. This forum doesn't have automatic notification so please use the contact email address listed in our profile.

seriously your going to ask a question that can easily answered by going to the manufacturers website and doing some reading?

Love my M4S and don't have any regrets whatsoever about not getting one of the micros. You can't go wrong with any Aimpoint: reliability is everything and Aimpoint has it in spades. I did replace the bikini covers with flip-ups. But now I have a greater appreciation for the bikini cover and think it is a good choice also.

The main difference is the price. You can get an Aimpoint CompC3, which is just as good as the others for hundreds of dollars less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The main difference is the price. You can get an Aimpoint CompC3, which is just as good as the others for hundreds of dollars less. </div></div>

Sorry but the M4s is not nearly the same as the C3. If you think that price is the only difference you need to go back and read up too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The main difference is the price. You can get an Aimpoint CompC3, which is just as good as the others for hundreds of dollars less. </div></div>

Sorry but the M4s is not nearly the same as the C3. If you think that price is the only difference you need to go back and read up too. </div></div>

I have the M4s. Should have bought the M4 instead. My friend has the C3 with the rubber boot cover and flip-ups. Shooting them side by side, there is no difference between the C3, M3, or my M4s.

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?1629-Aimpoint-M4s.

Paulo why would you rather have the M4 over the M4s? After comparing the 2 units for awhile I figured having the battery tube on the lower portion of the unit was a better configuration. Curious to hear your take on it--unless you meant one of the earlier models like the M3 or M2..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Paulo why would you rather have the M4 over the M4s? After comparing the 2 units for awhile I figured having the battery tube on the lower portion of the unit was a better configuration. Curious to hear your take on it--unless you meant one of the earlier models like the M3 or M2.. </div></div>

A couple of reasons.
1. If you use a magnifier, you will loose 1 rail of space because of the battery compartment being on the lower right hand side.
2. If you use a magnifier, the battery compartment on the lower right hand side is harder to get at to adjust/turn it on with the magnifier mounted.
3. I bought the Larue Medium mount and once installed, I was no longer able to adjust the Larue mount because the battery compartment got in the way. You will need very thin wrenches to adjust the Larue mount. I didn't have any problems when I had the high Larue mount.

And when I actually tried the M4 and the M4s side by side, I didn't notice much of a difference as far as field obstruction (I don't like to use field of view because guys will jump all over me telling me that red dots are supposed to be used with both eyes open).

the battery compartment got in the way of the larue mount on the M4s??

I think you got the lever on the wrong side brother. The lever goes on the opposite side from the battery compartment.

umm, and yes red dots are both eye open optics.

I think the point of the M4s is not field obstruction, but to have a lower profile. less snagging, etc

Having said that love my M4s.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the battery compartment got in the way of the larue mount on the M4s??

I think you got the lever on the wrong side brother. The lever goes on the opposite side from the battery compartment.</div></div>

When I had the high mount it worked perfect, but it was too high for me. When I got the Medium Mount, the battery compartment sat right on top of the adjustment nut for the throw lever. It is a known issue. If you don't believe me, call LArue or order a Medium Mount for yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the battery compartment got in the way of the larue mount on the M4s??

I think you got the lever on the wrong side brother. The lever goes on the opposite side from the battery compartment.</div></div>

When I had the high mount it worked perfect, but it was too high for me. When I got the Medium Mount, the battery compartment sat right on top of the adjustment nut for the throw lever. It is a known issue. If you don't believe me, call LArue or order a Medium Mount for yourself. </div></div>

I stand corrected. And yes I happen to own an M4s with a Larue mount.

I see no reason why not to use the tall mount compared to the medium. I have never heard someone say it's "too high" for them before. The rest of us just prefer either an absolute or lower 1/3 co witness. Not one or the other because one is too high or too low.

I go with the lower 1/3rd. End of problem

I'm still confused why the battery compartment on top of the throw lever is a problem? you have some big ass hot dog fingers or something?? Whole damn point of a co witness is not to have to remove the optic, so what is your rush?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulosantos</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YourMotherTrebek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the battery compartment got in the way of the larue mount on the M4s??

When I had the high mount it worked perfect, but it was too high for me. When I got the Medium Mount, the battery compartment sat right on top of the adjustment nut for the throw lever. It is a known issue. If you don't believe me, call LArue or order a Medium Mount for yourself. </div></div>

I stand corrected. And yes I happen to own an M4s with a Larue mount.

I see no reason why not to use the tall mount compared to the medium. I have never heard someone say it's "too high" for them before. The rest of us just prefer either an absolute or lower 1/3 co witness. Not one or the other because one is too high or too low.

I go with the lower 1/3rd. End of problem

I'm still confused why the battery compartment on top of the throw lever is a problem? you have some big ass hot dog fingers or something?? Whole damn point of a co witness is not to have to remove the optic, so what is your rush?

</div></div>

The battery compartment doesn't sit on to of the throw lever, it sits on top of the adjustment nut. The throw lever is on the opposite side.

The high mount (lower 1/3) was too high for me because I'm short and have a short neck (or as my wife says, no neck. LOL). So for me a lower co-witness I had more of a chin weld than a cheek weld position and it was painful for me to shoot off a 30 round mag in the prone position because I had to lift up my neck so high. With the medium mount (regular co-witness), my head is in the upright position and I'm still able to get a cheek weld position. So for us vertically challenged folks, a medium mount is like a tall mount for the taller guys. Not everyone is 6'2" tall.

yeah yeah, like I said, I stand corrected on the side the lever is on.

How much of a difference is there in the mount heights?

Maybe 1/2 inch??

Hey, rock on with what works for you.

My point was the different size mounts weren't developed to accomodate different height shooters. They were simply for those preferring an absolute or lower 1/3 co witness.

I have 2 CompM4 models on 2 ARs and an M3 on my SOCOM. Besides the attributes mentioned above like the battery life, battery type and size. I like the M4 because there are more brightness settings and more NV settings if you will use that feature. Also I like the standard features like it's own mount, killflash and scope covers. But it is heavier than the M3 and I have Larue mounts for both but because of the battery and other features the M4 feels heavier. Also because it has it's own mount there are not a lot of mounting solutions. My M3 is hanging on a Leupold low 30 mm QD rings. You honestly can't go wrong with either but given the choice I would stay with my M4.

Thanks guys, I found a deal on an M3 with LaRue mount, so I went for it.

We have some cool kits running on the and C3 and M2.

Aimpoint CompC3 Kit<span style="color: #FF0000"> $399.95</span> <span style="color: #990000">Kit comes w/ $59. worth of FREE accessories.</span>
Free Aimpoint X Wide 30mm Pictinnany Style Ring w/ Purchase
Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
Free Aimpoint Front Flip-Up Lens Cover w/ Purchase
Free Aimpoint Rear Flip-Up Lens Cover w/ Purchase
Free Aimpoint Black Outer Rubber Cover w/ Purchase

Aimpoint CompM2 AAFES Kit <span style="color: #FF0000">$477.95</span>
Includes <span style="color: #990000">FREE</span> Aimpoint Flip-Up Covers W/ Integral KillFlash <span style="color: #990000">$67 Value</span>
Includes <span style="color: #990000">FREE</span> QRP II Picatinny Mount <span style="color: #990000">$215 value </span>(The same mount the CompM4 comes with)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<span style="font-weight: bold">Here's a run down of features and specs</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">CompM2</span>

Battery Type - One 3 Volt Lithium battery type 2L76 or DL1/3N
Battery Life - CET technology, 1.000-10.000 hours average. Typically 10 years at NVD position
Switch, dot Brightness: 10 positions, 4 NVD, 6 daylight, of which 1 Extra Bright

Features for CompM2

• Compatible with every generation of NVD
• CET technology allows up to 10,000 hours of daytime operation on one battery
• 100,000 hours of use on NVD setting
• Unequalled light transmission
• Submersible to 80 feet (25 meters)
• Standard CQB sight for Special Forces worldwide
• CompM2 – M68/CCO is the standard sight for U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force

<span style="font-weight: bold">CompML2</span>

Battery Life - CET technology, 1.000-10.000 hours average
Switch, dot Brightness: 10 positions, Off and 9 daylight, of which 1 Extra Bright

Features for CompML2

• Designed for day use, including dusk and dawn
• CET technology allows up to 10,000 hours of operation one battery
• Submersible to 25 meters (80ft)

<span style="font-weight: bold">CompM3</span>

Battery Life - CET technology, 50,000 hours at setting 7 out of 10
Switch, dot Brightness: 10 positions, 4 NVD, 6 daylight, of which 1 Extra Bright

Features for CompM3

• Compatible with every generation of NVD
• New technology called ACET allows 50,000 hours of operation on one single battery (on setting 7 out of 10)
• 500,000 hours of use on NVD setting
• Unequalled light transmission
• Available in 2 dot sizes (2 and 4 MOA)
• Submersible to 45 meters (135 feet)
• Comes with replaceable outer black rubber cover

<span style="font-weight: bold">CompML3</span>

Battery Life - 50,000 hours at setting 7 out of 10, CompM3 = 500,000 hours at NVD setting
Switch, dot Brightness: 10 settings – Off, 9 Daylight of which 1 Extra Bright

Features for CompML3

• Designed for day use, including dusk and dawn
• New technology called ACET allows 50,000 hours of operation on one battery
• Available in 2 dot sizes (2 and 4 MOA)
• Submersible to 135 feet (45 meters)
• Outer rubber cover now available in earth brown
• Comes with replaceable outer black rubber cover
• Reduced training time and ammunition

<span style="font-weight: bold">CompC3</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #990000">The Aimpoint CompC3 is the commercial version of the military CompML3. The only difference is the C3 is submersible to 17' instead of 150'. You save an additional $65. dollars by choosing the CompC3 over the CompML3.</span></span>

Features for CompC3

Battery Life - 50,000 hours at setting 7 out of 10, CompM3 = 500,000 hours at NVD setting
Switch, dot Brightness: 10 settings – Off, 9 Daylight of which 1 Extra Bright

• Ideal for scout rifles, bows, carbines and competition pistols
• Easy to mount, equipped with 30mm-wide ring that fits all Weaver bases
• New technology called ACET allows 50,000 hours of operation on one battery
• Available in 2 MOA
• Submersible to 15 feet (5 meters)

<span style="font-weight: bold">CompM4 and CompM4S</span>

Only difference between the CompM4 and CompM4s is the battery compartment location.

The CompM4 is now the latest version of the US Army’s M68 CCO (Close-Combat Optic)

Features

• Compatible with every generation of Night Vision Devices (NVD)
• Super ACET technology allows up to 80,000 hours (over 8 years) of daytime operation on one AA battery
• Internal voltage regulator allows the CompM4 to be used with any AA size battery.
• Seven night vision compatible settings and 9 daylight settings
• QRP2 mount has twice the clamping force of the original QRP, and the mounting knob is wider and shorter to improve operation, and lessen the chance of becoming snagged on other gear.
• Mount base is “keyed” into to the body of the sight to absorb recoil.
• Mount base screws directly into the sight – no separate sight ring is required.
• 500,000 hours of use on NVD setting
• 2 MOA dot for close combat and long distance engagement
• Matches perfectly with Aimpoint 3XMag, (magnifier module).
• Unequalled light transmission.
• Front lens opening is threaded for addition of killFlash® anti-reflective device.
• Submersible to 150 feet (45 meters)
• Vertical spacer included
• Standardized as the US Army’s new M68CCO
• Improved adjustment caps are easier to remove, and are protected against impact.
• Can be used with a carry handle adaptor for use on all M16 rifles.