• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Aimpoint or Eotech for use with PVS14?

Creature

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2007
I have both and am finding that the Aimpoint(PRO) is working a little better. The dot seems to be a little crisper.

I've been using my helmet lately but I'm thinking that using an optic might be more conducive to accuracy. Does anyone have advice on how to improve this setup?

At first, I was using the TNVC PVS14 Adapter on an Aimpoint Twist Mount base behind my PRO, but the more I use it, the more I realize I need to invest in a good IR laser and just helmet mount the NV. If you are stationary in a stand or other fixed position, I think weapon mounting may be fine, but as soon as I found the need to move, I realized the drawbacks.

Eo-Tech is better with the 14, SPECIFICALLY if your using a 3X on your 14 in conjunction with the EO tech. Newer Aimpoints have a coating on the lens that gives a double image when running the 3X on the 14.

I prefer the eotech over my comp m2 just for the wider fov when weapons mounted. Haven't tried the aimpoint pro. On your head via Wilcox mount beats both IMO.

We prefer to use EOTech vs Aimpoint when weapon mounting the PVS-14.
A great IR laser would be the ITAL or OTAL from Laser Devices. Currently in stock at MOD.
However, we know a lot of individuals that use the DBAL-I2 or CQBL. It depends on if you would like to have a visible laser as well. Then you will also begin to consider illuminators :)
With the laser it's basically point and shoot and great within 500 yards. Any farther out and the blooming of the IR laser will affect your accuracy. For shooting / hunting are you primarily stationary or on the move? Hogs or coyotes or other? As I^2 / Pete mentioned the 3x NV magnified lens is a great addition to your PVS-14 / EOTech. For helmet mounting we also agree the Wilcox Mount on a Team Wendy helmet is the best option for stability and functionality.

I have both the eotech and aimpoint. Each mounted on different weapons. Have the ability to use the pvs-14 on each with the quick release D-Lock. Really works well.

I prefer the eotech due to what I see as a better field of view, especially on fast moving targets. I very seldom use the 3X behind either devise,weapons mounted, as it limits your field of view. I do use it on the pvs-14 now and then for target ID. Not a big fan of using the laser but when I do I use the CQBL as it gives me both vis/IR capability and they are co=aligned. I have a SF 720V for a light on my primary weapon, as it gives me both white and IR lighting and is controlled fromlow/med/bright light on both. As far as helmet mounted I do use the 14 with the mod armory dual mount when driving. The two 14's give me better depth perception and clarity. On a Mendys helmet with Wilcox gear.

For walking around I use the wilcox gear with a single 14, and it works fine for me. The two 14's gets heavy after an hour or two of moving around.

The only thing I would suggest is do your research and get the best you can as you will upgrade. Save your self money and do it right the first time.

Got all my gear from ModArmory as they have been great with CS and prices.

I have the whole Laure QD setup for the EOTech and the PVS14. I don't even use it. I may one day get another smaller EOTech and use the mount, but I likely won't be using the 14 on it. It'd be nice to have the option, but I don't see myself using it much. Reason being, the IR lasers work much, much better once you learn how to use them properly. It helps to have a buddy to zero 'em at long range.

The ITT's are also supposed to be limited to 5.56 recoil, the L3's a little better, fwiw.

But if I did have to pick between the two it'd be the EOTech simply because at night, I think I'd value the speed of target acquisition afforded by the EOTech's reticle vs. the Aimpoint's dot, and the EOTech's wide open view. I always felt the Aimpoint was like looking through a tube, the M68 anyway. With the NODs behind the EOTech, you lose just a bit around the corners, but get a pretty good image using the NV reticle. It's not bad, and I've had the 14 behind the EOTech and the M68 both and by far choose the EOTech, IMO.

...jump in w both feet and get weapon mounted illuminator and laser aiming device...i did a dbal with the pvs14 on a helmet, love it, eo is only a day optic now...dont skimp, get the best you can afford, w a quality helmet, imho of course

I had an aimpoint t-1 micro with a TNV twist mount and a PVS14. It was ok set up. Scanning with the PVS then trying to get it back on the AR to make a shot was nearly impossible, so I scrapped that and bought a Dbal D2 and a helmet. Haven't looked back. There are many accessories to mount a pvs14 to a day optic, but the best accessory for a PVS is a helmet!

I use a D-Lock and leave it on the PVS-14, even when helmet mounted. VERY easy to make the transition of helmet to weapon. Literally a few seconds. The D-lock is available through Ident and Mod Armory, and I am sure other places also.

And so does the TM-14 twist mount. We also use it to kill 2 birds with one stone and the Aimpoint 3x magnifier can also be used on the same AP twist mount we built the TM-14 around. TM-14 is just a fast as any other mount and to dispel rumnors from the "crew", yes for years the TM-14 was and still allows for the J-Arm to be attached while mounted to the PVS-14. A Mil group came to us many years ago with this exact requirement, and we did what we were told. Hope that clears up all the nasty untrue rumors.

As LoggersInn discovered, the most effective way to shoot with a 14 is to head mount the unit, shoot from the high ready and let your laser do all the talking. Designated marksman wanted to be completely passive on occasion have use for a weapon mounted 14 so we built the TM-14 at that time to assist with that requirement along with a quick transition form helmet to weapon and vice-versa . Hope this helps.

Vic

Last edited:
I've used both with my PVS-14 and I prefer the Eotech...