• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Aimpoint Red Dot Sight Mounts

jwkao2

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2011
So I've been looking at different red dot sights for an ar-15 I've been building. Was wondering what your take and experiences were on the Aimpoint Micro T-1 and the Comp M4S.

I would also like to know what mounts you would recommend. Was looking at Aimpoint's LRP, Larue Tactical, Bobro, and American Defense. I'm not too sure what makes one mount better than the other but any other suggestions/comments on a QD mount would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Aimpoint Red Dot Sight Mounts

As far as the opitic goes I would go with the 4s had that on my M4 in iraq and liked it. Got banged around in my turret alot going over the shield and the zero was never knocked off enough to matter on an AR had some PS guys that had the micro and one of our TC's had it on his MP5 the view was alot smaller and so was the sight so it worked better on the weapon system. The 4s is alot lower profile than the older AIms, the only downside i had with red dots is still seeng my front sight post in them, we put a micro on an M4 and the dot seemed not able to go high enough to clear the post, unless you have a no post rifle. If you do have a post AR then be sure to get a riser with the micro.

Re: Aimpoint Red Dot Sight Mounts

I have the Comp M4s in the Larue mount and it's been good to go. I like the Comp M4s because it takes a AA battery and runs forever. I only use Larue mounts...they are as good as it gets as far as I'm concerned. The QD mount is nice if you want to remove your optic for cleaning or maintenance but I think that I have only removed mine once or twice so it may not be a major issue for you. I will say that I my zero has never shifted since I first mounted the optic on my rifle, which speaks volumes about the quality of a Larue mount to stay put (this rifle does not get babied around either). The only bad thing that I have ran across is that the latch can catch on your gear occasionally but I have never had it unlatch and fall off.
One thing you might consider is that if you are going to add a magnifier, the Comp M4 with the battery housing towards the top might get you a little closer to your optic. With the M4s and a 3x magnifier in a Larue mount the battery housing stops the magnifier from getting as close as I would like it. It's not much, one notch on the rail, but still something to keep in mind. Hope this helps.
Semper Fi,
Rob