• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Aimpoint T2 zero change over strikes

Near miss

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Apr 8, 2019
    Finland
    Hi fellas.

I noticed that my Aimpoint had lost zero. I had not used it for a while but figured that it had dropped few times since last use. At least once rolled onto concrete. It also attaches by QD made by ADM.

So I decided to test and conclude what is behind the zero change.

1. Zero test and remount test. Zero was offset 2.4"/6cm in elevation and 1.2"/3cm in windage.)
    2. Then I remounted the T2 and shot once. It landed next to a bullethole from the previous group.
    3. I rezeroed T2 and shot 4. Nice group, well centered.
    4. I threw the optic lightly at a wooden wall of the range hut maybe 6 times, first 2 times it dropped to snowy gravel, the rest of times it bounced back to my hands.
    5. I tested zero. It had changed by 1.6"/4cm in elevation.

Below the target with short group identifications.
    20210124_201653.jpg

I am slightly disappointed with the T2 losing zero with few bumbs, I really did not use much force on it. And I know my glass optic takes some beating.

That's it.

There's a part of your problem. You need to push it forward against the front of the slot because that's where it wants to go under recoil.

Because inertia.
    Shit. Something has gone seriously wrong in my head. You should always be alert of what the fuck you are actually doing..

Shit. Something has gone seriously wrong in my head. You should always be alert of what the fuck you are actually doing..

Also, stop wasting effort biasing the mount to one side as you close the clamp. It doesn't matter, as the clamp will eliminate any clearance between the sides of the mount and the sides of the rail.

this is all really pretty simple and the same things should apply. If you take your optic off of a weapon and put it back on , then shoot it and rezero if necessary. If you get banged around, do the same once you are in area to do so. Even the best optics will have a hick up now and then.

Muscle memory--never take a chance--if you do not have to and you do not have to unless the Taliban are screaming Allah Akbar in your ear. I do not hunt anything but pigs anymore, and I can be off a couple inches at 100 yards and still do well as there is about a 4x4 inch area to put it down atleast for about 4/5 seconds. Time enough for another shot or two.

I have had two Aimpoint T2 and they are a great CQB type sight. And work really well for a bit longer shots with a 3x magnifier. That QD mount by ADM is a solid mount.

Reactions: Near miss
    Also, stop wasting effort biasing the mount to one side as you close the clamp. It doesn't matter, as the clamp will eliminate any clearance between the sides of the mount and the sides of the rail.
    Thanks. Started doing that just recently, thought it would help reduce empty space against the rail slot.

this is all really pretty simple and the same things should apply. If you take your optic off of a weapon and put it back on , then shoot it and rezero if necessary. If you get banged around, do the same once you are in area to do so. Even the best optics will have a hick up now and then.

Muscle memory--never take a chance--if you do not have to and you do not have to unless the Taliban are screaming Allah Akbar in your ear. I do not hunt anything but pigs anymore, and I can be off a couple inches at 100 yards and still do well as there is about a 4x4 inch area to put it down atleast for about 4/5 seconds. Time enough for another shot or two.

I have had two Aimpoint T2 and they are a great CQB type sight. And work really well for a bit longer shots with a 3x magnifier. That QD mount by ADM is a solid mount.
    Yes! For practical use it fulfills its purpose even with slight offset, but I'd like to be able to trust it 100%, since it is a quality piece. But I get it, some other sights would not even work after being thrown around.

It is just that I very much value being able to make cold bore shots. I do not think a regular visit at the range should include a rezero. I go go range many times a week, I rather not do some menial task to start the actual training.

Also, when comparing training session data; a changing zero makes it a little harder.

thought it would help reduce empty space against the rail slot.
    That's what the mount's clamp is supposed to do. If it isn't doing it, then you need to get that mount fixed or get another one.

What distance? At 100 yards, shitty ammo or a shitty barrel with give those results even if the T2 doesn't shift.

What distance? At 100 yards, shitty ammo or a shitty barrel with give those results even if the T2 doesn't shift.
    100m.
    The average groups with this ammo lot (PMC Bronze FMJ) are usually around 1.2-1.5moa. I think the groups are distinct enough to clearly tell a story that something changed inside the T2.
    Remounting it changed nothing, the 1 shot done after it landed to the same group. I only did 1 shot merely to confirm what I know as usually I have not had my zero change upon remounting, so I have practically tested it already.
    I will ofc mount it pressing forward in the future, but it seems it clamps well enough that so far it has not moved during firing.

Could be your sight picture or fundamentals affecting your poi at 100m. Removing the optic will definitely change your zero some.

Huh I better test this more thoroughly then the next time, no choice!
    My premise is that if mounted correctly and with enough torque, there really should not be enough zero change to notice it.

I know my fundamentals are not to blame, my match ammo targets (bought 500 rnds of Sako ammo and had to test and chrono it) that day got 0.65 and 0.89moa. So throwing a group 1.4moa away from POA would require my fundamentals to be completely gone.

I shot this test with bulk but the groups still were 1.06moa (pre-zero), 1.43moa(remount test) and 0.9moa(after throwing it to a wall), resulting in 1.13moa average.