• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Air Force Boot - San Antonio

Inogame

Counter of Beans
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
NW Indiana
Lady I work with's son is headed to Boot in San Antonio next week.

Anyone have any pearls of wisdom you'd give a kid headed there?
Doesn't have to be specific to that camp(or area), but would help.

Thanks,
Ino

Re: Air Force Boot - San Antonio

Compared to what I've heard from friends from the other branches,it was like summer camp when I went 30+ years ago. Probably get breakfast in bed now.

take lots of condoms, the river walk has too much tang runnin round with the hiv

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">stay invisible </div></div>
+1 on this. Don't say anything unless your told to. Try to fly under the radar as much as possible. And if you can get on chrome duty. That was the best job in the barracks.

Are you serious...its the Air Force. I wasn't even aware they actually called it boot camp.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">take lots of condoms, the river walk has too much tang runnin round with the hiv </div></div>

Not on the dance floor at Polyester's.....

sounds bad but you dont want to be the best or worst at anything. try to stay middle of the raod. dont attract any attention to yourself.

Like others have said, keep low key and don't volunteer for anything. Just do what needs to be done and graduate. Worry about impressing people at his first base.

They've stepped up airforce basic in the past couple of years, gotten away from the tedious crap (like using tweezers to even the folds in your t-shirts) and have made it more physical and combat oriented.
Still, one thing hasn't changed, the first week is the worst. Make sure he knows that they will do everything they can to make the first week as miserable as possible for everyone there. Just push through it and things will get better. THey wont get easier, but he will get acclimated to the environment. There is a routine to basic training and once he becomes comftorable with it it wont seem so bad.
And, like others have said, his goal should be to get through without getting noticed. Being dorm chief or any of the other bs positions means nothing once you leave. He doesnt want the attention involved if he can avoid it. Same goes for his technical school once he graduates. Being a rope (the trainees who are in charge of others at tech school wear different color ropes on their shoulders) will not make a difference once you leave tech school. Save the leadership for his first real duty assignment. He'll know hes doing well if the training instructors cant seem to remember his name.

oh, and dont worry about San Antonio, you dont get to leave the base until your graduation weekend anyway

Tell him to wear comfortable clothes and shoes, this is what you will wear till uniform issue. When i went in 2002 i wore sweats and some gym shoes....worked out better than the people in jeans or looking they were going to a club.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eagle20899</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Compared to what I've heard from friends from the other branches,it was like summer camp when I went 30+ years ago. Probably get breakfast in bed now. </div></div>

Yet our PT test is still harder then the Army's. Wierd isnt it?

EDIT: although I think they are now modifying the Army test now right? I think they have to walk on a balance beam now from what I hear instead of hanging on a pull up bar. Oh no!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">isnt the AF PT test riding an indor bicycle for like a 1/4 mile? </div></div>

I dont think it has gotten that tough yet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">isnt the AF PT test riding an indor bicycle for like a 1/4 mile? </div></div>
This is funny. When did the Air Force do that as a PT test? Believe me, I am in no way shape or form trying to talk up the Air Force as hard core because they aren't. But FYI, its a mile and a half run, push ups, sit ups, and a waist measurement. But in all fairness they are kicking people out now for not passing PT.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sounds bad but you dont want to be the best or worst at anything. try to stay middle of the raod. dont attract any attention to yourself. </div></div>

Thats more than a way to treat bootcamp, thats a way of life!

Everyone in the Air Force wish we were as hard as the Marines, and everyone in the Marines wish they had joined the Air Force (for one reason or another), and everyone in the the Army, well yeah there in the Army lol.

A friend of ours just went through AF basic and it has gotten a whole lot tougher than it used to be.

Its really not that bad if your good at flying under the radar. If you become a target, its a little hard to get the TI's off your ass.

Also I would recommend taking as much vitamin C or what ever you can before you go. They do give you a penicillin shot, but it didn't work for me very well. I had to get 2 while I was there. I know a lot of guys got really sick, me included when we were there. Being sick just makes a bad situation worse.

I went through navy boot camp in 1999/2000. The advice I have is this. Keep your eyes open and learn what is expected of you. The drill instructors will choose leaders out of many of you. Pay attention to how those leaders do their jobs and the mistakes they make. Sooner or later you will be tapped to be a leader. They will expect you to know what to do from observing. Remember the military is a team environment. Never take the view that "its not my job," it very well may be your job and if and when you get to a battlefield having the right attitude can mean your life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone in the Air Force wish we were as hard as the Marines, and everyone in the Marines wish they had joined the Air Force (for one reason or another)</div></div>

Atleast you are half right. The first half that is
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eagle20899</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Compared to what I've heard from friends from the other branches,it was like summer camp when I went 30+ years ago. Probably get breakfast in bed now. </div></div>

They're attempting to "mimic" the army

No one cares about him. What he used to do for fun or work. Any question is a trap. EVERY question is a trap. Don't be slow, don't be fast. Never first or last. It's all a mind game in the USAF, especially Basic. Sometimes you FAIL because the calender says so, not because of any fault or action of your own. Everyone fails, the ones who make waves will fail more often.

-Do not pre-shave your head. This is a BAD idea.
-Do not wear any cool guy or military clothing, tshirts or the like.
-Do wear clean comfortable clothes and shoes.
-Do arrive well rested. Sleeping on the plane is a good idea.
-Do avoid eye contact.
-DO NOT SPEAK UNLESS PERSONALLY ADDRESSED. You will know they are talking to you when they get in your face. Otherwise they might just be testing the nerves of the group. Kick the bushes and see what come running out so to speak.
-Do be invisible.
-Do bring EXACTLY what they tell you to. Nothing else.
-Do notify those at home not to send/mail you ANYTHING. This goes 3X for his girlfriend.
-Do know how to shave before hand. Practice. No one cares if you don't need to.
-Nothing is funny.

I made it the longest in my flight without talking or being noticed. My reward was being made dorm chief. Refer back to being invisible. Hard to be invisible when you're dorm chief. Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have gone that route again. Laundry crew is where it's at....

eagle20899 said:
Compared to what I've heard from friends from the other branches,it was like summer camp when I went 30+ years ago. Probably get breakfast in bed now. [/quo

Bullshit!

In all honesty, I can say that being a Boy Scout was more physically demanding than anything I encountered in Air Force Basic Training.

Ever done a 15 mile hike in the Air Force? Enough said.

I had a blast when I was in my school at Lackland. As for the "recruits", I ate at the same chow hall they did, and I NEVER saw a drill instructor or whatever they call their's in sight and they were pretty nasty. Seemed like they had it pretty good. I think I got treated shittier in my MOS school there then they were in their recruit training.

Anyway, yeah the riverwalk is pretty cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone in the Air Force wish we were as hard as the Marines, and everyone in the Marines wish they had joined the Air Force (for one reason or another), and everyone in the the Army, well yeah there in the Army lol. </div></div>

No Marine wishes he had joined the air force. But I'll gladly take your women and chow.

Tell him no matter how funny some comment might sound in his head, the TI will NOT laugh. Keep it to himself.

Guess that more or less goes with the thought of being invisible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone in the Air Force wish we were as hard as the Marines, and everyone in the Marines wish they had joined the Air Force (for one reason or another)</div></div>

Atleast you are half right. The first half that is
wink.gif
</div></div>

I work with a retired M/Sgt who told me about the perks the AF guys had in Iraq. When I asked what he thought about that he said he thought he should have joined the AF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When did the Air Force do that as a PT test?</div></div>

Back in the '90s. It was a computer program that used resistance and heart rate to provide an arbitrary number that supposedly indicated level of fitness. Running 40 plus miles weekly I rated average. I knew guys who couldn't run across the street rated excellent. That's probably why you've never heard of it.

Eddie I am sure he was joking.
wink.gif

Remembering back 24 year ago USAF Basic was a complete joke, BachlerJack advice is spot on, and probably goes for any branch.

Ah this thread is FULL of WIN! Although when I joined it was pretty easy as well...

I went through AF Basic in 61.
Piece of cake.
When we went on "bivouac", we marched about a mile into the boonies, stood around until lunch, and were fed from a mobile kitchen. Marched back after lunch. Tough? I reckon!!!
Tech school was a different matter.

Boot is Boot.

Never give them a reason to remember you personally. Let someone else be the first one to come to their minds, whatever the subject. Recognition is for the other guys. Fewest words possible when necessary, quiet as a churchmouse the rest of the time.

Do as told, as well as you can, it's the only thing in the world while you're doing it. Rest of the time, do what you can to help your fellow recruits, don't be a selfish bastich.

If you don't understand, you probably aren't the only one; let the next guy do the asking.

Yes, no, I'll find out Sir (if that's still an appropriate address for instructors).

Instructors see recruits as falling into one of three categories; problems, hard chargers, and "the rest". Practice camo discipline and make your camo look like "the rest".

The only time you look an instructor square in the eye is when you're absolutely convinced you need to do a lot more disciplinary exercise. For some, that's actually a good idea. Just be sure that's not you.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greywolf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

He should be glad he's not going to be there during the summer - ugh!
</div></div>

Since he is going there soon, summer isn't that much different.

Oh I just read some Navy thing on the news where they can now use the olyptical to take a PT test interesting...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: savage110FPshoot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a blast when I was in my school at Lackland. As for the "recruits", I ate at the same chow hall they did, and I NEVER saw a drill instructor or whatever they call their's in sight and they were pretty nasty. Seemed like they had it pretty good. I think I got treated shittier in my MOS school there then they were in their recruit training.

Anyway, yeah the riverwalk is pretty cool.</div></div>

You werent eating with the basic trainees, their chow halls are contained within their basic training buildings and are not open to anyone else. The trainees you saw were there for their MOS training.

It was easy when I went to basic in 2004. I was TDY back to Lackland last July and couldnt believe it. Basic trainees with cell phones, hanging out at Burger King with their ABU's buttoned down bullshitting around, ect. I asked an instructor there why it has reached that level of stupidity, and all he said was this shit is a joke now.

Now it all makes sense. For the last few years Lackland has been sending out shit troops to their first bases.

As for physical fitness testing goes. The army, AF, and navy are all pretty similar. The problem with the AF is physical fitness has never been a part of duty, always something done on your own. I think the AF needs to seriously rethink fitness and begin to incorporate it in the duty day rather than over working their personnel and not giving adequate time to accomplish fitness goals. We are all now realizing this in the last couple years with fitness levels dropping in all career fields.

Appreciate the info, Gents.

I cleaned much of this up and got it to his Mother this weekend so she could share some incites with him on his way.

Really this info was probably more for her than him, as you'd expect any mother will have a bit of trepidation with her son going off to service.

Thanks,
Ino

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ajb008</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It was easy when I went to basic in 2004. I was TDY back to Lackland last July and couldnt believe it. Basic trainees with cell phones, hanging out at Burger King with their ABU's buttoned down bullshitting around, ect. I asked an instructor there why it has reached that level of stupidity, and all he said was this shit is a joke now.</div></div> I will go ahead and call you a liar, if you want me to I can say why but go ahead and apologize for lying now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ajb008</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As for physical fitness testing goes. The army, AF, and navy are all pretty similar. The problem with the AF is physical fitness has never been a part of duty, always something done on your own. I think the AF needs to seriously rethink fitness and begin to incorporate it in the duty day rather than over working their personnel and not giving adequate time to accomplish fitness goals. We are all now realizing this in the last couple years with fitness levels dropping in all career fields. </div></div> I think you should stop talking, PT has always been by order of the commander a minimum of 3 days a week of organized unit PT.

Now the regulation takes the responsibility off the commander and says it is the responsibility of the member.

@CrazyDonkey... that is a joke right? 3 times a week? Why not add what the Air Force adds to everything "mission dictating" which means in the maintenance world... do it either before or after your 12-14 hour day.

I went to AF basic in 1987. There was minimal PT and what there was, wouldn't get a sweat going. Most of our time was in class or learning marching drills. We spent 1 day on the rifle range and used M16 with .22 conversions to shoot out to 100 yards. 1 day on obstacle course and had MRE fir lunch that day. Other days we had good chow in the chow hall. I grew up on a ranch in east Texas and worked like a rented slave growing up. When I got to basic I was surprised at the number of people in my flight who were never exposed to real work. They were mostly city kids who had no clue about anything except standing on a street corner. I grew up having to work thru problems and figure stuff out on my own, these kids were behind the curve. Some were just idiots. As others have said, LISTEN!!!!! To what the instructor tells you, do it exactly as he says, keep quiet and work at it. Even if you do everything as instructed, the instructor will trick you or go behind and mess you up just to see how you react and how you deal with it. Keep cool and it will go by fast.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doug.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@CrazyDonkey... that is a joke right? 3 times a week? Why not add what the Air Force adds to everything "mission dictating" which means in the maintenance world... do it either before or after your 12-14 hour day.
</div></div> just because your units did not allow you to do PT during duty hours due to "mission requirements" does not change the fact that it was mandatory.

Do your best.

No Marine wishes they were in a different branch. Ok maybe during some stuff we had to do that really sucked but that would be about it. All I can say to that is there are two kind of Marines reservists and those who want to be. lol I am glad I was active duty in the USMC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> All I can say to that is there are two kind of Marines reservists and those who want to be. </div></div>

Amen!

<--- in the reserves now.

No Marine wishes he had joined the air force. But I'll gladly take your women and chow. [/quote]

Yep Kadena AB had the best chow in the world and their E club had the hottest babes around.

Semper Fi