• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Air Gun Dilemma...what to do. Your $.02

Precision Quest

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2023
Here and there
I decided I want to try and shoot .22 airgun in PRS competition. Where I am, you can only shoot a .22 in competition (.25's or .30's airguns are NOT allowed).

Please provide your $.02 with an option and logic for your pick.

Considerations:
1. Dynamic .22-
I pretty much ruled out an FX dynamic as I think it is a shame there is no cheek rest option on the air rifle (although aftermarket will likely pick it up sooner or later). Although I like the higher shot count.
2. FX Impact M3 .22 barrel kit and slug liner - I currently have a .25 FX Impact M3 with the power block and it shoots excellent. However, I have only shot pellets out of the gun to date. So I would look at the .22 barrel kit and a slug liner and use the existing M3 for .22 comp. Note I already have the ST arca rail on the gun. I like the gun is compact.
3. FX Panthera - this is a potential option, but there are some considerations. As per my back story below, I was not a big fan of the long 700mm barrel on the crown I owned. The issue with going to a 600mm barrel would be the reduced power potential. Also not liking the shot count on the Panthera.
4. Cost - it isn't a signficant consideration. Although, I am Irish, so keep that in mind ;)

Back Story:
Crown Continuum (.22):

- I owned a FX crown Continuum (not 2) in .22 with the 700mm. Wish I never sold it becasue man did it shoot good. However, I sold it for two reasons...
1. It was near maxed out with 25.39 gr pellets at 900 fps.
2. I found the barrel like a broom stick and I knocked it a few times on the furnace and walls moving it around the safe etc.
FX Impact M3 (.25):
1. I exclusively shoot pellets out of the airgun.
2. Not sure I want to be changing back and forth between calibers on the M3? Which would mean the M3 would end up pretty much soley a .22 slug gun.
3. Does the power block FX impact M3 have enough juice to even throw .22 36 grain slugs arounbd 1000 fps?

Options:
1. Convert existing M3 to .22 in a 70mm or 800mm and shoot slugs? Likely won't want to switch back and forth between .22 and .25.
2. Get a Panthera / Dynamic (with arca) in 700mm? Length and shot count / no cheek rest.
3. Get a Panthera / Dynamic (with arca) in 600mm? Power potential.
4. Wait until FX releases its next model and see if it has better shot count AND a cheek riser / rest in one package. I am already getting older.

Last edited:
I shoot a Panthera 700mm .22. Currently using Altaros atp king slugs 40grain at 950 fps. It shoots lights out but 18 round mag and thats about the entire 300cc bottle

eta iirc reg is set at about 130 but would have to check to be sure

Reactions: Precision Quest
All of the FX guns will have the same pencil barrel. I would look towards Utah air as FX- USA is having issues.

The RAW HM1000 is another good rifle to look at. Or the American Air Arms Evol line, which is all made here in the USA. The rifles are solid and are built like tanks.

Basically any rifle will do for you. Just know that they will all need some kind of tuning and tweaking to get shooting to your liking.

Owning an FX Impact .22 and Panthera .22 I would buy a RAW .22 and make it shoot.

I have two RAW HM1000X rifles one in .22 and one .30. I can get get mine to shoot what I consider good out to 100 yards with pellets. I haven’t had much success with slugs. I like the RAW it’s a simple solid gun with one of the best triggers I’ve ever had. I had an impact m3 but sold it. It has too many adjustments that I struggled to keep tuned. I’d rather shoot than tinker but that’s just me. If you have questions about the RAW you’re welcome to message me and I’ll be glad to help you the best I can.

All of the FX guns will have the same pencil barrel. I would look towards Utah air as FX- USA is having issues.

The RAW HM1000 is another good rifle to look at. Or the American Air Arms Evol line, which is all made here in the USA. The rifles are solid and are built like tanks.

Basically any rifle will do for you. Just know that they will all need some kind of tuning and tweaking to get shooting to your liking.
Fx USA is having issues? What’s going on with them? Not good news!

Reactions: Scopeye
Absolutely sucks! I really love The feel of my crowns but I was banking on having fx USA as a backup in case I needed any seal work or anything I didn’t feel comfortable working on.. The problem with Utah air always used to be their rates.. if you need anything done by them it’ll really cost you.. thanks for the info though, really bummed out about them not existing anymore though.

I stepped away from the pcp game at the end of Covid and turned all my focus on powder burners again. Have been wanting to dust the cases off again and take down some starlings.

I decided I want to try and shoot .22 airgun in PRS competition. Where I am, you can only shoot a .22 in competition (.25's or .30's airguns are NOT allowed).

Please provide your $.02 with an option and logic for your pick.

Considerations:
1. Dynamic .22-
I pretty much ruled out an FX dynamic as I think it is a shame there is no cheek rest option on the air rifle (although aftermarket will likely pick it up sooner or later). Although I like the higher shot count.
2. FX Impact M3 .22 barrel kit and slug liner - I currently have a .25 FX Impact M3 with the power block and it shoots excellent. However, I have only shot pellets out of the gun to date. So I would look at the .22 barrel kit and a slug liner and use the existing M3 for .22 comp. Note I already have the ST arca rail on the gun. I like the gun is compact.
3. FX Panthera - this is a potential option, but there are some considerations. As per my back story below, I was not a big fan of the long 700mm barrel on the crown I owned. The issue with going to a 600mm barrel would be the reduced power potential. Also not liking the shot count on the Panthera.
4. Cost - it isn't a signficant consideration. Although, I am Irish, so keep that in mind ;)

Back Story:
Crown Continuum (.22):

- I owned a FX crown Continuum (not 2) in .22 with the 700mm. Wish I never sold it becasue man did it shoot good. However, I sold it for two reasons...
1. It was near maxed out with 25.39 gr pellets at 900 fps.
2. I found the barrel like a broom stick and I knocked it a few times on the furnace and walls moving it around the safe etc.
FX Impact M3 (.25):
1. I exclusively shoot pellets out of the airgun.
2. Not sure I want to be changing back and forth between calibers on the M3? Which would mean the M3 would end up pretty much soley a .22 slug gun.
3. Does the power block FX impact M3 have enough juice to even throw .22 36 grain slugs arounbd 1000 fps?

Options:
1. Convert existing M3 to .22 in a 70mm or 800mm and shoot slugs? Likely won't want to switch back and forth between .22 and .25.
2. Get a Panthera / Dynamic (with arca) in 700mm? Length and shot count / no cheek rest.
3. Get a Panthera / Dynamic (with arca) in 600mm? Power potential.
4. Wait until FX releases its next model and see if it has better shot count AND a cheek riser / rest in one package. I am already getting older.
Buy a Thomas and have him customize it to your needs since you mentioned cist isn't an issue. I don't think anything can beat a custom built Thomas if accuracy and reliability is most important to you.

Don't buy anything FX if the company is having major internal problems or is insolvent. You'll be very sorry.

Fx USA is having issues? What’s going on with them? Not good news!
A dude named Jonathan or Jon who used to manage Airgun Depot (you can still see him on YouTube videos) apparently (allegedly) scammed the FX owner from Sweden Fredrick Axxelsen (sp?) by convincing him to cut off ties with Airguns of Arizona who used to be the sole distribution center and warranty repair center for FX. Jon apparently became a 40% stakeholder who seemed to be the brains of operation of the new FX USA company for FX brand distribution and parts and warranty after kicking A of A to the curb.

Little did anyone know that some major funny business and false book keeping records were an ongoing scheme millions upon millions of dollars vanished and years and years worth of bills weren't paid and Jon did some major no-no's against the rules things to get FX kicked out forever from participating in future Las Vegas annual Shot Shows after doing it twice in 2 years. It is said he used FX as his own piggy bank or ATM machine to fund his and his wife's lavish lifestyle.

There may be some sort of legal issues that prohibit the sale and service of FX guns and accessories if distribution is not done through FX USA which currently has the rights. Going around FX USA buying through alternative channels may present issues and may even provide damning ammunition when Jon sues FX Sweden and Fredrick Axxelson big time likely due to breech of contract even if he's later proven to be in the wrong for mismanagement of the company (allegedly embezzeling millions). He may likely sue for wrongful termination or separation as well. In the end when all the smoke clears if Axxelson loses more millions upon millions on top of the multimillions he already got swindled out of, who knows if there's still going to be a FX Sweden left? Somebody has to pay all of the back payments and arrears that never got paid.

Still have to pay back debts even if you file for Bankruptcy in the USA after they changed the laws a couple decades ago.

Note I am not in the US. Well in the end, I picked up a Panthera in .22 and it is on route now. Decided to go with the FX again as I have had good success with the .22 Crown I had and my impact M3 in .25 and I have lots of extra bottles and FX stuff already I can reuse.

We shall see how it shoots...more to follow.

Reactions: Mike Weldon