• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Air race history

MigKiller

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2023
Idaho
Bob Hoover’s historic air race P-51 Ole Yeller resides down the road about 50 miles. I’ve seen Ole Yeller up close and in the skies more times than I can count. John Bagley who owns Ole Yeller and his son fly it often along with their other many warbirds at the Legacy Flight Museum in Rexburg.
Several years ago I was invited to a private interview with retired Brigadier General Rowland Wright (RIP) who piloted the Mormon Mustang during WW2. General Wright and his Mustang are another story and a good one. While at the private invite I noticed that Ole Yeller was having some maintenance performed and had to take a picture of the massive gas guzzling carburetor that’s probably why it probably cost roughly $2k to take a short backseat flight in one of these icons. Bob Hoover (RIP) had a very interesting and historic life during war and on the racing circuit.🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpeg
    IMG_0824.jpeg
    992.4 KB · Views: 87
P51s just look weird when they're other than polished aluminum...but I wouldn't kick her out of the hanger for having crackers.

Reactions: Barneybdb
P51s just look weird when they're other than polished aluminum...but I wouldn't kick her out of the hanger for having crackers.
A condition of sale to John Bagley from Bob Hoover was that it would never be painted in war colors and remain the way it looked when he raced it.🇺🇸

• Love
Reactions: Cowpokey
Bob Hover: the pilot that probably should have got the ride that made Yeager famous.

Reactions: MigKiller