• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Air Rifle......Gamo?

Re: Air Rifle......Gamo?

I am not sure of the model name but was watching the Outdoor channel awhile back and this guy shots and kills a pig with this Gamo .177 caliber air rifle. He shot it in the head and it goes down, like a ton of bricks, he shoots it again in the chest to make sure it is finished. Advertised at 1,600 fps, one pump, spring loaded air rifle. It looked interesting on the show.

Jerry

My boss has a older .177 cal. Gamo Shadow. Gamo make a good air rifle if thats what your looking for. The Hunter is the fastest (fps) gun that they make as of last time I looked.

If you want quality and dependability, i'd go with RWS. Just my .02 worth. Gamo is not bad for the money but for a few extra dollars you can have a much better rifle if you go with one of the RWS models.

Colt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure of the model name but was watching the Outdoor channel awhile back and this guy shots and kills a pig with this Gamo .177 caliber air rifle. He shot it in the head and it goes down, like a ton of bricks, he shoots it again in the chest to make sure it is finished. Advertised at 1,600 fps, one pump, spring loaded air rifle. It looked interesting on the show.

Jerry </div></div>
The guy is Steve Scott, who's main sponsor is Gamo, the air rifle really will kill hogs. What you don't see is the shot of WD-40 the chamber gets just before the shot. It's a 150fps boost. Also to get the max velocity you must shoot the PBA ammo.

If you do a youtube search you'll find several videos

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerry M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not sure of the model name but was watching the Outdoor channel awhile back and this guy shots and kills a pig with this Gamo .177 caliber air rifle. He shot it in the head and it goes down, like a ton of bricks, he shoots it again in the chest to make sure it is finished. Advertised at 1,600 fps, one pump, spring loaded air rifle. It looked interesting on the show.

Jerry </div></div>
The guy is Steve Scott, who's main sponsor is Gamo, the air rifle really will kill hogs. What you don't see is the shot of WD-40 the chamber gets just before the shot. It's a 150fps boost. Also to get the max velocity you must shoot the PBA ammo.

If you do a youtube search you'll find several videos </div></div>

Never heard of that wd-40 idea. I picked up one of those rifles at cabelas after seeing that video. I know why that guy was confident hunting with it now, if he missed and it charged...that thing was heavy enough if swung would kill the hog.

I have an R8 (old beman), but figured didnt really want to spend to many clams on something that would pretty much be a toy.

dont get the crossman storm cant hit shit with it

I'm looking to pick up a Beeman now, my dad has an R1 I believe in 20 cal, great rifle, it's taken many small critters in the back yard.

I need to figure out how to setup on my back deck (overlooks an 800m long field) to shoot into a bullet trap so I can practice at home.

One of my neighbors get uppety and gives me grief when I carry locked rifle cases to my car. I'm worried she's going to call the cops on me if I shoot from my balcony.

A little shot of WD or even RemOil will take the RWS and make the regular pellets go supersonic and you get the sonic crack near exact in level to what you would get with a 22 LR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARPredatorHunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little shot of WD or even RemOil will take the RWS and make the regular pellets go supersonic and you get the sonic crack near exact in level to what you would get with a 22 LR. </div></div>

Cool, never thought of trying that.

Go to airgunsofarizona.com and see what is available these days.

The Benjamin Discovery PCP is the best bang for the buck of all pellet guns right now.Waaaaaaaaay better than a Gamo.

The Webley Patriot is a very powerful air rifle and not too expensive but you would have to find one used.

Pellet rifles don't shoot that accurately sonic.You are better off just shooting a heavier pellet at no more than 950fps.Those so called 1000fps rated pellet rifles usually don't live up to their claims and usually shoot poorly with light pellets.

Steve

The WD-40 trick is rough on the seal (o-ring) on a barrel break rifle. After about thirty shots with it in my gamo, the seal was in pieces.

I have a few airguns and three that I have over $700 invested in each or more.

For a break bbl I like,

Beeman, RX-2, it is a gas ram powered gun. $700+ for gun only.

Theoben(under the Beeman label as Crow Magnum) the top of the line break bbl. $1200............

RWS, Mod 34, under $300.

Mod 350,(powerful) under $400.

RWS has the side lever guns, mods, 48, 52, and 54(54 is a recoiless gun).

All guns mentioned above will require stout mounts and airgun rated scopes.

JMHO, keep away from Gamo products.

If you want "accuracy" from a spring gun, the AirArms TX200(mine is in .177) or the Beeman HW97.

For everyday shooting a spring or gas-ram powered gun is hard to beat.

PCP guns are accurate, powerful, fun, and require the lugging of a spare tank(scuba) or small portable to fill when the gun gets low on air.

PCP`s are fun, but when I have a full day of hunting I take either a break bbl, or the TX200. All you need is the gun and pellets.

Good luck.

Pellet rifles don't shoot that accurately sonic.You are better off just shooting a heavier pellet at no more than 950fps.Those so called 1000fps rated pellet rifles usually don't live up to their claims and usually shoot poorly with light pellets.

Steve

[/quote]

So true. My guns shoot between 750fps to 950fps. the mfg`s tell you BS crap that their guns will do 1000fps, yea. that is with the lightest pellet that they can shoot out of the gun. I like 7.9 to 10gr in .177(925fps). 14 to 18gr pellets in .22 (750 to 825 fps).
In my PCP I shoot 14.3 gr pellets at 925 to 950 fps, and 30gr pellets at 900fps. Lots of air at these volocities with a heavy pellet.