• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

air rifle trainer?

Winny

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2005
This Place
Can anyone suggest a decent air rifle to use as a trainer? I just recently moved and found myself with a larger backyard. I'm looking to just work on some quality mechanics of shooting when I have a few spare minutes in the evenings.

Re: air rifle trainer?

Its called a 22
laugh.gif

I don't know a lot about air rifles but a friend of mine bought his Ruger air rifle out to our first shoot of 2012 so I could take a look at it (and fire it a few times). I was impressed!

It was a Ruger AirHawk, and it weighed 8 pounds, was .177 caliber, powered by (spring / piston?), and was rated at 1000 fps. It in-bedded a .177 SWC pellet into a golf ball from 15 yards. Trigger pull didn't seem half bad either. He had a scope on his. Also, there wasn't hardly any noticable noise at all. No way a neighbor would ever hear you shooting one of these.

Have to admit, I'm thinking of getting one for my 25 yard range here at home to practice prone and sitting.

That's about all I know about air rifles at this point, but I'm looking into them as well.
smile.gif

I feel trigger time is trigger time. May not be the same as centerfire but better than not shooting at all. My son and I shoot pellet guns often from 50-100 yards when not at the range. I really feel it's made him a much better shooter having the additional practice. I've had my RWS for 27 years!

Winny, I use a Feinwerkbau 300s in my backyard for my offhand training. I've never thought about using it for other positions but I don't see any reason I couldn't use it for my prone training as well. It is WICKED accurate. They were Olympic 10m rifles before the PCPs took over.

DSC_0024.jpg

Hey, I was in Savannah week before last. What an amazing city. Much nicer than Columbus GA.

Thanks for the replies....a 22 is out of the question, I think the neighbors behind me would be very unhappy. Trental.....where did you find that sweet looking toy?

Winny- I have an RWS 75 (one of the chief competitors for the FWB 300 from back in the day)that I am about to list for sale. FANTASTIC AIR RIFLE! Shoot me a pm if you want to chat about it.

Winny- I just bought a used Walther LG300 ambidextrous stock from Pilksguns. The stock looks and feels very similar to my TRGs. I've been practicing standing, sitting, kneeling right and left handed this week... inside! I've been practicing calling my shots and it has made a huge difference already in my follow-through. If you are going to get one, I would recommend one the the super accurate 10 m types like a Walther, Anschutz, or Feinwerbau. They all have about 500-550fps, don't get the 1000+fps hunting rigs as your practice will likely have to be outside

Go to Targettalk and they have some FWB 601s for sale right now. No reason to buy new unless you want to compete.

Winny, I knew I wanted the 300s specifically and found this one on GunBroker. There is an over priced one on there now. There is an air-rifle forum that has a buttload of information and a large amount of for sale adds everyday of different rifles. It is referred to as the "yellow" forum. Here is the classifieds.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79574/

Back in my ncaa competion days, I also used a 300s (10m) even though they were outdated then. Today I use a hamererli although there are better options if you visions of the olympic training center...

I agree with WiskeyWebber. Unless you need/want the air rifle for other purposes there is no need to buy a high powered one. Just like in centerfire, fast isn't always accurate, that definitely stands true in air rifles. Mine runs right at 500fps depending on what pellets I'm using. Just enough to piss off most squirrels.

I used to shoot mine in my basement at about 40 feet, but now that I live in GA I've traded my basement for a big back yard and no basement. It is pretty quiet and my neighbors have no idea I am shooting it.

Yeah, I live in a neighborhood with houses close by so I built a rubber backed trap to minimize any of the noise associated with the impact. It just sounds like I'm hammering something very softly in my garage... there's a small "pufft" but no "ding"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the rounds can wobble. </div></div>

They don't unless your pellets go supersonic. Sometimes even mid 900s is too hot. There is a reason all Match .22lr ammo is subsonic...same concept with airguns; most of Match airguns are low power, 600 fps and under.

This is my trainer, German Weihrauch 100T, 6 oz. Match trigger, regulated, whisper quiet, and surgically accurate out to 80 yards. Lost count how many pigeons, crows, rabbits, and squirrels were blown away with it...

HW100T2.jpg

I just went out into the garage during a work conference call and shot 10 more bulls-eyes. I can't imagine a more convenient way to practice. My son and I have averaged about 50 shots a day this week. The manual says we can expect 500 shots per fill, I'd say we are at 200 so far and have noticed no drop off in accuracy yet.

I have been shooting an Airforce Edge target rifle for offhand practice. The rifle is designed for 3 position 10m comps, its a PCP and not supper fast but has killed a lot of tree rats. Its not cheap (plus needed a pump) but shooting cost is very low and accuracy is excellent.

A truck mud flap works well. Staples penetrate and pellets stick and impact sound is low to silent. These targets are at 1 yards and the guns shoot the same at 30 yards surprisingly

The upper rifle is a Gamo, made in Spain.
The lower rifle is a Ruger, made in China.
They propel 177 cal pellets @850fps. Fast enough to knock a squirrel on his ass from a pecan tree. Yes. That is a Weave T-10 with a mil-dot reticle I had put in on the Ruger. These are okay, but not nearly as good as a PCP. I suspect as the piston warms so too does pressure, causing poi changes. Cold bore is real, not imagined, in my experience, unless I'm doing something wrong. http://youtu.be/_mnbI9Nfu4c

iw0p4x.jpg

1zgdh0j.jpg

And...they aren't toys: http://youtu.be/j3UWMOT3SD4
But they are highly accurate: http://youtu.be/38XtL-3SB2o

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
A truck mud flap works well. Staples penetrate and pellets stick and impact song is low to silent.
</div></div>

Yeah, I used some rubber horse mats I had laying around from another project. Anything with thick rubber will be better than the metal traps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone suggest a decent air rifle to use as a trainer? I just recently moved and found myself with a larger backyard. I'm looking to just work on some quality mechanics of shooting when I have a few spare minutes in the evenings. </div></div>

The big question is how much money you want to spend???

You can buy on the lower end a daisy RR all the way up to top end approaching $4000.

I own quite a few airguns, mostly mid to high end.

My least favorite are the spring piston type, specifically the more powerful magnum ones. They are harder to shoot than PCP's, single stroke pneumatics or CO2's. Not that they can't be shot well or that they are inaccurate. The reason that they are harder to shoot is because of the violent forward recoil of the heavy spring. The Olympic style 10M guns which have a light spring/s, opposing springs or recoil reducing mechanisms are pretty sweet. My preferred springer is a Air Arms TX200 in 177.

Single pump pneumatic Olympic style 10M rifles/pistols are superb!

CO2's are OK but CO2 is affected by temperature too much for my liking. I only own one now mostly because it is a collectors piece.

PCP's=(pre charged pnuematic) are the absolutely awesome!

Here's a pic of my wifes 20 ftlb Mac1 USFT Field Target rifle with the builders 51Y 12 shot test target to give you an example of what a modern PCP is capable of. She got high woman at last years state match with this rifle.

DSC00110.jpg

This is my "go to all around-er" air rifle.

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/FX%20Royale400.htm Be sure to watch the video!

I have the version with 3 different power levels in 22cal. #1 setting is 12ftlbs for indoor or close range plinking, #2 setting is 20ftlbs for hunter Field target and most of the air rifle shooting I do, #3 setting is 33 ftlbs for long range air rifle out to 150Y or hunting. It has a silencer and is very quiet on all settings.

Heed what VYD mentioned about about keeping pellets subsonic. Also try different pellets to see which one your airgun likes the best.

Steve- Can you please explain the oversized parallax wheel on your rig? I've seen those on other FT guns but I don't get the reasoning behind it. I know it has something to do with judging distance I think... any chance something like that could cross-over and help in an UKD hi-power course?

I use a Daisy 853 (single pump) and Avanti 888 (CO2) that I purchased from the CMP. Both of them shoot one-hole groups at 10 meters using Meisterkugeln pellets, and my total investment is under $400. I also use them to teach Boy Scouts and other new shooters. The accuracy and lack of recoil of these rifles really lessens the learning curve for marksmanship fundamentals.

I shoot the cheaper Anschutz 2001 Superair 10m air rifle. I don't know how it stacks against the Olympic level stuff but I'm happy with it. Living in a suburban area, all I have to do is open the sliding door to the backyard and shoot at targets hanging from the pellet trap from the comfort of the indoors. I don't even need pants on to play.
3226332416_3bb1772790_b.jpg

This .177 RWS rifle is 27 years old. I have no idea how many rounds (pellets) but has to be close to 10K. It's still very accurate after all these years. With little or no wind, you can put holes on holes at 50Y.

Here is the accuracy ay 50Y.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuIwmjkihrg

Here's my son at 100Y after he found out how many mil dots and windage correction. They drop of A LOT after 50Y.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57k72JDDRT0

Tempest gets Dad Of The Week award. Caring fatherly/son instruction in a kind voice has got to matter much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Steve- Can you please explain the oversized parallax wheel on your rig? I've seen those on other FT guns but I don't get the reasoning behind it. I know it has something to do with judging distance I think... any chance something like that could cross-over and help in an UKD hi-power course? </div></div>

Yes, we use the big side wheel on the parallax knob for making ranging the distance to the target easier. The bigger the wheel is, the bigger the spacing of the numbers between yards. It's easier to get a good accurate distance that way. Without the big wheel installed the knob is only an inch across so it's very hard to tell if the target is 52Y away or 55Y away because of the small spacing between numbers. A ranging error of 3 yards can mean a miss.

Also the more magnification the scope has the less likely the error in ranging is. This scope is a 10-50 so we use 50x for ranging and it's accurate to a foot or so out to 30Y and within a yard at 55Y.

I've never tried ranging with the parallax knob for long range distance estimation. I've always assumed the error would be to great??? I imagine it would work OK on larger targets out to medium distances though.

Is the idea that you start at infinity and work your way down until it comes into perfect clarity? or do you come at from the other direction on the knob? I imagine you would also calibrate your wheel over time to different distances.

The best I can do is a 20-40yd error using the reticle out to about 600yds, I wonder if this technique could beat that?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lachoneus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Daisy 853 (single pump) and Avanti 888 (CO2) that I purchased from the CMP. Both of them shoot one-hole groups at 10 meters using Meisterkugeln pellets, and my total investment is under $400. I also use them to teach Boy Scouts and other new shooters. The accuracy and lack of recoil of these rifles really lessens the learning curve for marksmanship fundamentals.
</div></div>

+1. I also shoot a CMP Daisy 853, very accurate guns!

You'll find that a good airgun will improve your marksmanship markedly. With the long dwell time in the barrel, you MUST maintain proper follow through in order to score well. Plus proper form and holding hard...spring piston guns recoil both ways and if you don't do everything the same your scores will show it. Highly recommended! If you are going to scope it, be sure to get a scope that is air-gun rated. The fore and aft recoil pattern will trash good scopes that aren't reinforced for that service. They don't have to be uber-expensive either...the Bushnell Trophy 4x12 Variable with AO is close to a hundred bucks or so. Mounts deserve the same consideration. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the idea that you start at infinity and work your way down until it comes into perfect clarity? or do you come at from the other direction on the knob? I imagine you would also calibrate your wheel over time to different distances.

The best I can do is a 20-40yd error using the reticle out to about 600yds, I wonder if this technique could beat that? </div></div>

I do find it more accurate to come from infinity and find the best clarity. I do this at least a few times then average the distances I'm getting.

Calibrating the distances on the wheel is pretty time consuming. I wrap a yellow piece of tape around the wheel and start at 10y marking it in 1 yard increments.

20-40Y is better than I would have thought. I wonder myself? Try it and let me know. Thank goodness for LRF's! I'm halfway decent at using the reticle for ranging but the farther away I get the worse any error becomes. A few weeks ago I tried ranging a KD steel with the reticle. I knew it was at 960Y and I knew the size of it but I could not discern within 75Y. To do so was thinner than the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Tempest gets Dad Of The Week award. Caring fatherly/son instruction in a kind voice has got to matter much. </div></div>

Why thank you!
smile.gif

Here is the video from a macro scale. Got into some debate on another forum about this video. To answer a few questions: Yes my son forgot to wear the eye protection but forgot, he usually does not do that. That is my house in the video, so he is not shooting past a neighbors house. Nobody was home, just he and I. No chance of hitting someone walking out of a door. We are careful.

The targets are on a 2ft wide tree. He does not miss. However, if he did, the pellet would go into the grass. The elevation from the hill down to the targets is over 50ft. Again we are safe when we do this. If we see a neighbor in the yard, we don't shoot. That's all for my disclaimer!
smile.gif

100 yard pellet gun shooting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ecJjdG_93E

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
20-40Y is better than I would have thought. I wonder myself? Try it and let me know. Thank goodness for LRF's! I'm halfway decent at using the reticle for ranging but the farther away I get the worse any error becomes. A few weeks ago I tried ranging a KD steel with the reticle. I knew it was at 960Y and I knew the size of it but I could not discern within 75Y. To do so was thinner than the reticle. </div></div>

Yeah, I've practiced reticle ranging a little bit and used the LRF to check my answer. I find anything past 600 and mirage usually makes it really hard to get close. 960 is really tough! I might be heading out 1000 tomorrow so I'll try using the parallax to see how well I can gauge distance in between.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shedhorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check out the Benjamin Marauder </div></div>

what about it? it's an entry level PCP with some problems.

The OP never stated his price range and preferred powerplant. Without this info, it is virtually impossible to suggest anything.

Where are you guys getting all the PCP guns from? I can only find Benjamin and Airforce.

straightshooters.com
airgunsofarizona.com
pomona-airguns.com
precisionairgunsandsupplies.com
pyramydair.com

Few others but these are the main 5

I would recommend Pilkguns.com too. They were great to do business with over the phone. That's where I got my Walther LG300 from.

There is a forum they run called Targettalk.com that has a great classifieds section.

Pilkguns's specialty is Steyr. Unless you know you are going to get a Steyr, they have nothing to offer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pilkguns's specialty is Steyr. Unless you know you are going to get a Steyr, they have nothing to offer. </div></div>

They have a bunch of used stuff listed on Targettalk. Yeah, I haven't heard good things about Steyr... I was referring to getting a used air rifle for training. They often have used and rebuilt Walthers, FWBs, and Annies for sale.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskeyWebber</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VYD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pilkguns's specialty is Steyr. Unless you know you are going to get a Steyr, they have nothing to offer. </div></div>

They have a bunch of used stuff listed on Targettalk. Yeah, I haven't heard good things about Steyr... I was referring to getting a used air rifle for training. They often have used and rebuilt Walthers, FWBs, and Annies for sale. </div></div>

I used to have a Steyr LG-100 that Zasadny built for me for FT. The regulator went out twice on me. The second time was during a 2 day match in Cali. I was tied for 1st place at the end of day 1. Got up the next day and the rifle was shooting 2" low at 30Y. I spent the rest of the day chasing my zero
cry.gif

That LG-100 had the best trigger and ergo's of any gun I've ever shot though. 3 oz single stage that was crisp as can be and predictable. I could keep my finger on the trigger and not trip it until I was ready.

I am using an Annie 9003 with a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR. I also have a 22 can on there to keep the noise further down.

I can get right at 10 meters in my basement and/or I hook it up to my Scatt electronic trainer.

The Annie and Scatt are some of the best money I have thrown at shooting.

DSC02731.jpg

Once again guys.....thanks for all the info. I was unaware there were soooo many options out there. I want something quite, accurate, and somewhere in the 500.00 dollar range. It seems I have plenty of reading up on the subject at hand to make an informed decision. Some of the rigs posted are sweet!

Once again guys.....thanks for all the info. I was unaware there were soooo many options out there. I want something quite, accurate, and somewhere in the 500.00 dollar range. It seems I have plenty of reading up on the subject at hand to make an informed decision. Some of the rigs posted are sweet!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hoser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am using an Annie 9003 with a Leupold 6.5-20 EFR. I also have a 22 can on there to keep the noise further down.

I can get right at 10 meters in my basement and/or I hook it up to my Scatt electronic trainer.

The Annie and Scatt are some of the best money I have thrown at shooting.

DSC02731.jpg
</div></div>

You're slacking Hozer! That Annie is supposed to be in a AX chassis
smile.gif

That's a sweet air rifle!

here's what I use... Air Arms 400 ERB in a MPR stock

2011-11-21191325.jpg

as for your price range, cant go wrong with the Benji MRod