• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Air rifles for NRA sporter air rifle and pistol (4H kids)

missed

nothing
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2013
TEXAS
Well my 9yo is really having fun with the 4H air rifle and pistol matches. Practicing 1 time a week is not really cutting it, so I think its time I drive off into the air gun world. I KNOW VERY LITTLE about air guns. When I shot sporter and precision growing up I went right to the 22 and never shot air.

I think he is going to start in the sporter side which there are really only a handful of pre-approved rifles I have been looking at pre charged only.

The T200 which is made by CZ is my thought of what we have been looking at, and that is what the club has. Looks like through CMP you can get them for $500.

Now on the pellet pistol, looks like that starts at $1000.

The also have some Anchuntz air rifles, but so far they have not been touched.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this before I go down this road? We have some decent 4H people on this, but it seems like the air rifle side is weak, the guy on the 22 side has been doing it for over 40 years. He is kinda Anchuntz or nothing (which I get to a point).

No experience with 4H but I can tell you PCP air rifles are a bottomless rabbit hole. Lots of fun though!

Feinwerkbau (FWB) is another brand that is real popular in the pcp air gun game. They also have some older lever cock rifles that are real accurate. I think my buddy shoots one FWB in the 600 action number range but not sure the exact model​

Here's a link for a sale forum. I have no afiliation with them and not trying to sell anything just posting a link to help out.

Our local school district has high school teams shooting CMP formatted 3 position matches and the Crossman Challenger is the dominant rifle.

One of the girls that has been shooting for a bunch of years I think is shooting a Challenger, she does shoot precision so it's full coat, pants, gloves....I think he would rather shoot Sporter over precision so they can not have an adjustable stock. The Challenger is the same price as the T200 also.

We had looked at the FWB's also. I'm kinda hesitant to buy a used one not really knowing enough about them. I couldn't find the ad, it must have sold. I would think other than some oring kit on the pressure side these should be good for a million rounds unless they have been over pressurized.

I have an old Benjamin side cocker and a Gamo. Neither are legal for his classes. The Benjamin is nearly as accurate as these competition rifles, that side cocker is kinda bitchy. The Gamo is a decent shooter and really fast for an air gun. Definitely supersonic, it's really loud also.

If you want to look at some other forums on air rifles take a look at these. They are excellent for getting reviews and advice.