• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Air travel officially sucks again

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    It was a nice run while it lasted.

Flying home from Anchorage has twice now been a bitch but yesterday takes the cake.

At the SH Alaska Headquarters in the Sheep Creek Lodge, I get the alert my flight is delayed. Cool I’ll just hang out. About 3 PM I get the notice the plane is in the air so my 2PM flight is now a 8PM flight. Off to the airport I go.

Plane lands and 10 minutes before boarding they say, no crew go to ticketing to rebook for later. That means out through security.

Get in line at ticketing and most people have been camped out since 11AM and it’s 8PM so they are pissed. Ticket counter asks flight passengers to raise their hand trying to get a handle on it and a pissed off old guy yells, which finger first ? Classic

Few minutes no movement we hear go back to the gate we are flying again but to Seattle for a new crew then Denver. Ok no issue.

At security word is use Pre Check line, we all head that way TSA says no way you get in the regular line. More arguments. Many passengers bought prohibited items like full bottles of liquor- no go- more problems.

Get through security waiting at the gate we start getting conflicting alerts, the app says one thing the alerts another - flight canceled.

Agent says if you want to keep you seat and flight for Saturday stay here or try to rebook something else at ticketing. I am 3rd in line at the gate so I stay, I can live with 24 hours. Oh wait gate is needed go back to ticketing

At ticketing big mess- Japanese tour group cuts line, barely speaks English.

I make it to counter and I am not in the system - I think it was a height thing. They keep my ticket and attach to the manifest but give me a new manual ticket for Saturday. Because it’s the same flight new day they keep my bags, good, but bad no stuff just my computer.

Hotels here can be sketchy so I opt for my own but with a handful of vouchers. Get to new favorite hotel - booked not looking good. Prices in ANC in summer are double so across the street to Marriott waiting until checkout to try again

Travel tip when things go south find the angriest family with kids where the wife yells and husband says very little and quietly tag along- it works and is funny to watch.

Last edited:
    Sounds like this kind of day...

giphy.gif

One of the reasons I quit flying.

Was it Alaska Airlines ? I fly them most of the time and I would be surprised if it was them. United or American, I can see.

I fly all the time for business. Summertime is absolutely the worst. Wintertime/non-holidays it's pretty good (if there can be such a thing).

United, was flawless until the last two trips here,

Last trip in June a big delay and asshole crew, then super late delay with baggage.

Going up has been great, it’s always coming home

Last trip in June a big delay and asshole crew, then super late delay with baggage.

If you're not married into United's mileage plan, give Alaska a try. I think they still fly R/T DEN-SEA, so getting to ANC from SEA would be a breeze. Just try and stay on Alaska's 737's, not Virgin America's Airbus' (Alaska bought Virgin America and are replacing all Airbus' with 737's as they come off lease)

Should have called me. Could have helped.

Should have called me. Could have helped.

Not unless you could fly us home, lol.

A guy actually had a buddy from United Denver on the phone, there wasn’t much to do.

Rolled over everything, kept my seat and just heading out today, same flight new day. The agent was clueless when my name didn’t appear in the computer and booted her out 3x before going manual. I was cracking short jokes asking her if it was because I was a leprechaun

8PM AK is pretty late for everyone else

Not unless you could fly us home, lol.

A guy actually had a buddy from United Denver on the phone, there wasn’t much to do.

Rolled over everything, kept my seat and just heading out today, same flight new day. The agent was clueless when my name didn’t appear in the computer and booted her out 3x before going manual. I was cracking short jokes asking her if it was because I was a leprechaun

8PM AK is pretty late for everyone else

Classic. I couldn’t do much but get you to Seattle or Portland.

Sounds like one of those shit show days. For 10 years, I flew 250K miles per year. I had a few of those days but not many.

When it happens, I learned to just rebook for the next day and leave. It seldom ever works out that you will leave on that day.

Honestly I wasn’t really sweating it, my biggest problem was not being able to hear what was going on, and the app was no help. My text messages said one thing, the app another and when it automatically linked me to rebook it said I was too close to travel because a series of alerts said 1:30AM departure for a 3AM arrival in Denver.

It was best to flow and just stay an extra day, without getting worked up. They were good with vouchers and gave me a mail in form for reimbursement.

The fun part was watching people who arrived at 11AM, I strolled in a 6PM so in all 3 hours at the airport for me, piece of pie.

Well, Frank you could always get one of these. ;)

Either that or next time you see Hillary fly by on her broom, maybe you can hitch a ride. :D

Last edited:
    Great attitude. I learned long a go that going ape shit solves nothing. I’m too lazy to get pissed off at stuff.... most times..... I am human though.... it would eventually get to me....

Reactions: XLR308
    Look boss! De plane! De plane!

Now you know what it feels like to be me! I swear, if shit can go wrong, it always does. Been trying to get a case of beer across the country for the last two weeks; most of you could drop it off and go about your business. Not me...

Safe travels indeed.

I've btdt back when I was traveling all the time. I literally had a 36 hour planes- trains- and automobiles trip once when I was in McAllen, TX and HAD to make it to a 10:00 AM meeting in Detroit. Good times!

Is this even a thing with US domestic flights ?
    Lufthansa an Qantas use to do some US between International's, been awhile. Now uncle does me Military, if doing a class for him. I quite all US carriers in 95. Feel for you if you have to do US only as to me they are nothing but flying cattle-cars. Only thing missing is the shock prods.

Ok another flight just announced that a single passenger has a peanut allergy so no peanuts were allowed on the plane

WTF

If am 20 rows away how is that an issue ?

Allegedly, the peanut dust that can circulate in the cabin and then people breathe it in and the allergic ones start twitching.

What a cluster fuck! I quit flying after 9/11, both professionally (was a commercial pilot) and for pleasure. If their is a road connecting my two destinations, I drive, period. I understand that is not practical for many people such as yourself. But I got tired of bending over and taking it up the ass from these airlines. I can’t think of another industry that treats its customers with such total and complete disdain and can get away with it.

Allegedly, the peanut dust that can circulate in the cabin and then people breathe it in and the allergic ones start twitching.

That's natural selection weeding out all non hackers.

What a cluster fuck! I quit flying after 9/11, both professionally (was a commercial pilot) and for pleasure. If their is a road connecting my two destinations, I drive, period. I understand that is not practical for many people such as yourself. But I got tired of bending over and taking it up the ass from these airlines. I can’t think of another industry that treats its customers with such total and complete disdain and can get away with it.

You must be referring to American Airlines.....swore them off in 1995. Havent set foot on one of their planes since then.

I always bring my own peanuts on and when they say there is someone with a peanut alergy I dig in. I figure a little dust should help them build an immunity. Crazy thing is, never once has anyone gone into anaphylactic shock.

My father was a captain for TWA. I grew up on DC 3's and Martin 404's, sat Captain's chair in a Constellation. Took my first flight from LA. to NYC when I was 6 days old. Probably had a 100,00 by the time I was 5. I used to play with the airplanes in the hangers at Idlewilde while pop did business in the offices.

.- This is the one that got me. SOP for changing an engine was chain hoist. Somebody got in a hurry and used a fork lift. Cracked the engine mount and an engine came off during take off. Everybody died because somebody wanted to get to supper or something. It wasnt a conscious decision I jsut knew Id never get on another one. Ive tried, In my thoughts I can see myself all the way to sitting down but when they start to shut the door I freak and "NO" flashes red.

Then when I went to pick up a friend right after 911 and saw soldiers with m4's in the terminal it was like...Fuck this.

Worst U.S. Plane Accident Killed 273 in Chicago - latimes
    articles.latimes.com/1989-07-20/news/mn-5189_1_accident-killed-plane

Eastern first with Delta a very close second, United third. Best long ago was Panam an the early days of Northwest.
    Nah, TWA, Royal Ambassador. First class dined with silver ware.

Ok another flight just announced that a single passenger has a peanut allergy so no peanuts were allowed on the plane

WTF

If am 20 rows away how is that an issue ?

There was an incident on a flight somewhere . Guy opens a bag of nuts , dude with severe allergy in next
    row has an attack . Flight crew coped ok , but now some ( mostly US , litigious society ) airlines are very
    careful about it . I’m allergic to screaming babies .....

i wrote a post and deleted it because it didnt rep what i ment well, so, tell us stud of all studs, that, that was your flight station

i wrote a post and deleted it because it didnt rep what i ment well, so, tell us stud of all studs, that, that was your flight station

Hi,

I wish....I took the picture during last years Dubai Airshow.
    Flights are roughly 25k from USA to Dubai in that room lolol.

Sincerely,
    Theis