• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Airline approved pistol case

ironman56

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 18, 2020
I'm flying to Alaska in August to go fishing and will be taking my S&W 10mm , need to know if this case is airline approved, , it's a Winchester branded case that I've had for 15 years but never flown with , has two three combo locks but no provision for a pad lock , anyone used this type of case for air travel?

Attachments

• 17152048526821323634888544038339.jpg
    17152048526821323634888544038339.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 17152048978501187494515272237559.jpg
    17152048978501187494515272237559.jpg
    388.5 KB · Views: 29
I use Pelican cases and have not had any issues with TSA. If they are following their rules, they will want a non-TSA padlock on the case (you keep the keys). I keep an TSA locks in my bag in the event the airport staff are retreads.

No experience with the case above.

It’s noteworthy that airlines have their own rules about firearms and ammo, apart from federal laws. Weight limits, how ammo is packed, quantities, etc. Your question stated ‘airline approved’, in which case contact the Alaska specifically or look up their rules for traveling with firearms and ammo.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
It’s hard to say. I think it really depends on the employee you get at the time you go through security check. Went to Utah last month and the thing they seemed to be concerned with was my AG support bags. Even tested the fill. Neither airport looked at my rifle more than a glance. Read the rules but you’ll find they require a hard sided lockable case. Must have a lock on every spot a lock is possible.

I bought a cheesy chinesium Pelican knockoff and a couple of cheesy chinesium Master combination locks from Wally World. Both were "TSA Approved".

The first time I checked them through, I was a bit nervous. I was kind of stunned at how lax the TSA inspector was. He never opened the revolver's cylinder to make sure it wasn't loaded. In fact, he never actually physically touched the firearm. He lifted up the foam and checked underneath for "other things" (I have no idea what for), but it kind of shocked me that he went out of his way to not touch the revolver. I didn't ask any questions.

I've transported from Phoenix to Seattle on Delta two or three times and it went smoother than shit through a goose, other than the extra 20 or so minutes to go upstairs to the TSA inspection station.

Yep, review your Airline's firearms transportation policy as well as TSA's. I thought it was going to be a bunch of flaming hoops, but honestly, it wasn't bad at all.

I've got a Samsung smart tag installed already, just remembered I've got a pelican case for a night vision scope I can repurpose for this , should be a no brainer.
Absolutely use an AirTag. Rifle case and checked luggage. I had one in my carry on too.

I bought a cheesy chinesium Pelican knockoff and a couple of cheesy chinesium Master combination locks from Wally World. Both were "TSA Approved".

The first time I checked them through, I was a bit nervous. I was kind of stunned at how lax the TSA inspector was. He never opened the revolver's cylinder to make sure it wasn't loaded. In fact, he never actually physically touched the firearm. He lifted up the foam and checked underneath for "other things" (I have no idea what for), but it kind of shocked me that he went out of his way to not touch the revolver. I didn't ask any questions.

I've transported from Phoenix to Seattle on Delta two or three times and it went smoother than shit through a goose, other than the extra 20 or so minutes to go upstairs to the TSA inspection station.

Yep, review your Airline's firearms transportation policy as well as TSA's. I thought it was going to be a bunch of flaming hoops, but honestly, it wasn't bad at all.
No touch=no liability.
I have had them to ask me to open the bolt for inspection. That bothers me because I am handling that weapon there in bag check or off in the TSA area so I am sure to have the bolt removed. I also have automatic pistols in at least 2 pieces. I am not sure what I would do with a revolver...I only own a few and not on my list of "fly with". Cylinder is easy to remove with one of those but not real easy with the others.

With a pistol, you can put it in the airline approved case, lock it and then it can travel inside your checked baggage.
I’ve done this. When I went to retrieve my luggage at baggage claim, the tsa lock on the luggage was gone, though the pistol case was still inside, with the non tsa locks intact.
In my experience, the airline/airport personnel knowledge is as widely varied about flying with firearms as it is among gun owners. Know the law/rules, and be prepared to deal with someone insisting you do something that would put you at legal risk.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
No touch=no liability.
I have had them to ask me to open the bolt for inspection. That bothers me because I am handling that weapon there in bag check or off in the TSA area so I am sure to have the bolt removed. I also have automatic pistols in at least 2 pieces. I am not sure what I would do with a revolver...I only own a few and not on my list of "fly with". Cylinder is easy to remove with one of those but not real easy with the others.
Why are you overthinking/overdoing this?

Disassembled pistols? Lolwtf

Yes I've flown with guns before.

Why are you overthinking/overdoing this?

Disassembled pistols? Lolwtf

Yes I've flown with guns before.
#metoo
The absolute worst place I've had to fly out of is Minot, ND. Close second is Denver. The Delta agents are retards as well as the TSA.
No problems at all out of Boise, Lewiston, Pullman, SEATAC, Spokompton, Fairbanks, Ambler, Buckland, Shungnak, Kotzebue, Elim, Nome, Unalakleet, Barrow, Anchorage, DFW, Midland/Odessa, Amarillo, San Antonio, Hobbs, Tulsa, OKC, Wichita, Bozeman, Williston, SLC, State College, Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Cincinnati, Jackson, Biloxi, New Orleans or Las Vegas.
Yep, I take the slide off the lower of my 1911 fud guns when I have to leave from Minot. No ammo in magazines, either, which is allowed per airline AND TSA regs but the station chief dipshit makes up his own rules and the TSA is the TSA.
Edited for typo

You’d be a fool to use that case. A flathead screwdriver is all one would need to break that thing open.

You’d be a fool to use that case. A flathead screwdriver is all one would need to break that thing open.
Yeah , after thinking about it , your right ,that's a no go , pelican type only, harbour freight has some very reasonable ones that look like they'll get the job done and the cost is only a little more than the replacement foam for the nightvision case I was going to use , and the nightvison case doesn't have the metal reinforcement around the lock area .