• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing AIW trigger

Re: AIW trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomirwin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The trigger is
adjustable for pull weights of
3.3-4.4lb (1.5-2.0kg).
1.5 Lbs is not possible. </div></div>

I got this done and used a gage so I think down 1.lb total from 3.15lb. I am just over 2lb now.

Both of my AW's register around 1 pound 12 ounce on a Lyman electronic gauge. I don't know if the 3.3 to 4.4 is a total of both the first and second stage weights but this is what my gauge registers.

I did find that we the length of the first stage is dialed way down that the weight goes up a couple of pounds. I picked up a used AW from 1995 from month and the previous owner had the first stage dialed down to almost zero travel trying to duplicate a single stage trigger as much as possible. If I remember correctly, it registered about 3.5 pounds. I opened up the travel on the first stage as much as possible and the resulting weight that registered on my gauge was 1 pound 12 ounces.

I have read that the pull weight on a 2 stage trigger is supposed to be the total of the first stage weight and the second stage weight, if this is so, then my 1 pound 12 ounce figure doesn't appear unreasonable since the gauge only registers the highest single point of resistance.

Please educate me if I am missing something or if my pull weight seems impossible. I will recheck when I get home tonight.

Thanks,
Darin

are there any after market triggers for the AIW?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are there any after market triggers for the AIW? </div></div>

300WSM - I believe the answer is no.

I am very happy with my AW triggers. I used to not like 2 stage triggers on bolt guns but they have grown on me lately and I strongly prefer them now.

Darin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are there any after market triggers for the AIW? </div></div>

300WSM - I believe the answer is no.

I am very happy with my AW triggers. I used to not like 2 stage triggers on bolt guns but they have grown on me lately and I strongly prefer them now.

Darin </div></div>

Darin,

thanks for the feedback. I am happy with my 2lb trigger now. As long as it does not fall. I wonder if you can do a trigger job on it though... I am not trying, just wondering if someone has done it???

REgards,

SC

SC,

I have not seen anyone post here or elsewhere about doing any kind of trigger job on the AW.

Darin

My AI AW should arrive in a couple of weeks, I've never fired one so I am very curious about the trigger, how is it, is it very crisp and distinct?

I cannot say that I think my X-Mark Pro on my LTR is that very impressive, so question is, does AI make a great trigger/pressure, in comparison to X-Mark Pro?

Although it can be safely adjusted down to 3.3 lbs you should realy watch it. Trying to get "bench gun" tigger pulls outta this thing is like trying to get 36mpg out of a Lambo. Not what it's for and your only flirting with disaster.

For those who have sub 3 lbs trigger pulls and for sure those with sub 2 lb pulls, try a drop test. I'd bet a dollar that if you cock the bolt and leave the safety off the gun won't survive a 6" or greater drop test with out dropping the firing pin.

300WSM, no joy on the aftermarket although AI did make a "target" trigger at one time.

Speaking of which, Tom..... Did stacey ask you about my request?

Hi Rolexrifleman,

I can't get mine to go off by doing a drop test on carpet or concrete. If I did, I would adjust it upward.

I like it like this but if I have adjusted it in an unsafe manner, I will immediately move it back up.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Darin

Darin,

As with many things, experiances will differ from one set up to another.
With guidance and support from Tom Irwin i have had my trigger down to the individual components to see how the set screws and springs interact with each other. Without getting into to much detail I have seen how not enough sear engagment can cause a very unstable trigger. I was very aggressive in the testing I did and obtained pulls well in the 1 lb range with no 1st stage. Not one passed any type of drop test.
I DO NOT recommend taking your trigger apart and remind you that doing so voids any type of warrenty from AI. Also, in regards to a trigger job...... you would be surprised at how clean the surfaces are on the trigger assembly, no further work needs to be done. You must remember that these are purpose built BATTLE rifles and not designed for low pull weights.
With that said there are a few posts floating around on the hide that go over the proper way to adjust the trigger down into the 3 lb range.
Can AI triggers be "worked". In theory (and in the real world) the answer is yes, but doing so would alter it to far from it's design purpose and create an unstable unit to dangerous to be used for it's INTENDED purpose.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

RR

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ROLEXrifleman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Darin,

As with many things, experiances will differ from one set up to another.
With guidance and support from Tom Irwin i have had my trigger down to the individual components to see how the set screws and springs interact with each other. Without getting into to much detail I have seen how not enough sear engagment can cause a very unstable trigger. I was very aggressive in the testing I did and obtained pulls well in the 1 lb range with no 1st stage. Not one passed any type of drop test.
I DO NOT recommend taking your trigger apart and remind you that doing so voids any type of warrenty from AI. Also, in regards to a trigger job...... you would be surprised at how clean the surfaces are on the trigger assembly, no further work needs to be done. You must remember that these are purpose built BATTLE rifles and not designed for low pull weights.
With that said there are a few posts floating around on the hide that go over the proper way to adjust the trigger down into the 3 lb range.
Can AI triggers be "worked". In theory (and in the real world) the answer is yes, but doing so would alter it to far from it's design purpose and create an unstable unit to dangerous to be used for it's INTENDED purpose.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

RR </div></div>

Thanks RR,

I have no desire to take apart the AW trigger.

I tried the drop test on one of my AW's again last night and I could not make it go off.

I will have to discuss this with Stacey B. when he gets back to the US this week.

Thanks again for your help and insight.

Thanks,
Darin