• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AJ Brown and Scimitar Do it Again

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
Alan and David teamed up again for my final FN SPR custom, this time in .243. And she's LIGHT!!

243001JPG.jpg

243002JPG.jpg

243003JPG.jpg

243005JPG.jpg

Re: AJ Brown and Scimitar Do it Again

lucky bastard! My AJ Brown will be here very shortly! next lookin' stick E.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is that ASC written on the side
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Maybe- I am not sure if I want the extra splash the 162 amax will give me out of the 7wsm.

One more thing, a brain fart led to the discovery of ANOTHER reason to love the FN SPR action. After ripping open the box and drooling--in my rush to put her together and torque down the scope base, I grabbed the 65 in/lb rather than the 15 in/lb Seekonk---OOPS...

Thank GOD that FN uses good steel in both the receiver and the mounting screws. The torque wrench never "clicked" but this sure did...

bit001.jpg

Great looking rig, another laser from AJ what length barrel on it?...waiting on my lightweight rig from AJ too next few weeks looks like!

Hey Tyler! That Noveske still available?
smile.gif

Its a 26" Rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks....thinking of putting the 4-16x42 PMII on on my GAP in place of an MST. </div></div>

Keep in mind that the 42 will ALWAYS have a huge gap between the objective and the barrel when mounted in traditional rings.

Sure, that's what I'm trying to avoid....which is why I'm looking at the 42mm S&B.

I've got an MST in the USO repro base at the moment - it's real snug against the barrel - maybe 5mm between them? Was looking at replacing this with the Badger base for slotted actions and their 34mm S&B rings or M40A3 34mm rings (both are 1" high).

The stock on the rifle is an McM ADJ HTG and I'm pretty much at full stretch to get the ideal weld for the MST...so I wouldn't want any new scope to sit any higher than the current set-up.

With the set up you propose a 42 will HOVER in midair. You will HATE the giant gap. The 50 will have 4mm less gap. Seekins low rings will get you down another .08".

5mm is not snug. Snug is when you need to sand the BC to make it fit!
smile.gif

The limiting factor regarding the gap between the objective and the barrel is not the size of the objective but rather the 34mm tube. With the big tube you can only get the scope so low--becasue the ring must have a tall enough base to support some sort of cross bolt to mount it.

IF YOU DO NOT WANT A BIG GAP DO NOT GET THE 42!!!

smile.gif
Thanks 19Scout77, I understand the tube is the issue.

I'll check out the Seekins.

Equally i don't want to get the eye-piece too much higher than it is with the MST.

I've probably hijacked your thread enough now!
blush.gif

Manners T3--90% CF with butt spacer.

I've been told that Near makes some kind of mount that will get the 42mm down lower.I can't confirm it but it would be worth looking into.Be prepared for $$ though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more thing, a brain fart led to the discovery of ANOTHER reason to love the FN SPR action. After ripping open the box and drooling--in my rush to put her together and torque down the scope base, I grabbed the 65 in/lb rather than the 15 in/lb Seekonk---OOPS...

Thank GOD that FN uses good steel in both the receiver and the mounting screws. The torque wrench never "clicked" but this sure did...

bit001.jpg
</div></div>

Woops....

No kidding--there is a permanent pucker mark on my seat cushion from that one!! I am glad that heat treating for that bit did not penetrate too deep! It twisted and snapped off in a perfect star about 1/16" thick

That split second when you dont know if it was the bit or the screw head.
cry.gif

I actually prolonged the agony by closing my eyes for few seconds...dreading what I may see...

Thanks Eric, those pics are much better than mine. Great overall
weight for the caliber. Groups? !!!!!

How bout a pic of all the girls together!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scimitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How bout a pic of all the girls together! </div></div>

No, thank you!

A small gallery of Scimitar's work. All of these were painted by David. The three FNs were all built by Alan.

thegirls002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scimitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
How bout a pic of all the girls together! </div></div>

No, thank you!

A small gallery of Scimitar's work. All of these were painted by David. The three FNs were all built by Alan.

thegirls002.jpg
</div></div>

love it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alan and David teamed up again for my final FN SPR custom, this time in .243. And she's LIGHT!!

</div></div>

for the record i am calling bs on the fact that this will be your "final" spr build they are terribly addicting.

The two middle sport my favorite paint as well--but I kinda figured if I had David paint all 4 in Rhodesian, I'd look like I was trying to overthrow some Third World dictatorship
wink.gif

diggler- The only build that is even arguably foreseeble is an AR10. Life has gotten in the way of additional toys.

What barrel and contour is on the new one? I'm looking for something for a 7wsm build that will be predominantly for hunting. Want to go light without going to light if that makes any sense.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greedy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What barrel and contour is on the new one? I'm looking for something for a 7wsm build that will be predominantly for hunting. Want to go light without going to light if that makes any sense. </div></div>

Medium Palma

BTW The one on the far left is a 7wsm with a 22.5" fluted AMU contour plus Thruster brake. It makes for one HANDY little package despite the heavy contour. Get a 90% cf manners MCS-T and a slightly lighter contour and you'd be ready to rock. Contrary to popular belief, a 7wsm can be made to work with a shorter barrel, just probably not with the 180 bergers.

I had a funny thought.. Talk about a well traveled rifle.

Action made in CT. Barrel made in WI. Stock made in KS. Scope base made in Canada. Bottom metal made in FL. Sling made in TX. Scope made in Germany. Rings made in ID. Magazine made in UK. Magazine modified in OH. Bolt knob installed in CA. Gunsmithing in IN. Paint in bedding in NC. Bipod rail and bipod also from KS. Brass from Finland. Bullets from CO--designed in TX. Powder made in Australia. Primers made in OR. Duracoat from ??? Devcon from ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been told that Near makes some kind of mount that will get the 42mm down lower.I can't confirm it but it would be worth looking into.Be prepared for $$ though. </div></div>

BB-

You may want to check out the Larue 107. It is a HELLUVA stout mount (better be for the price!!)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1534857

Yup--she shoots...at least at 300
smile.gif

guns006.jpg

Thats fantastic I guess you have no excuse not to be in the winner's circle
shocked.gif
...Are you using the 115 dtacs ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been told that Near makes some kind of mount that will get the 42mm down lower.I can't confirm it but it would be worth looking into.Be prepared for $$ though. </div></div>

BB-

You may want to check out the Larue 107. It is a HELLUVA stout mount (better be for the price!!)

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1534857</div></div>

Thanks for the heads-up - I've got a LaRueL LT104-30 for the AR project I'm doing. very happy with the quality on that.

Apart from that, the Seekins seem to be the lowest 34mm I can find (0.92")

Saw a pic in the McM A5 pic thread of a 4-16x42 S&B in what looked like the Badger M40A3 issue mounts....seeemed like it was up about half a mile off the barrel - definitley NOT what I want
wink.gif

I've also come across a company in the US called Talbot....http://www.talbot.us

Checking them out....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats fantastic I guess you have no excuse not to be in the winner's circle
shocked.gif
...Are you using the 115 dtacs ? </div></div>

Yup, at 2995 fps

What bottom metal are you using? Will the surgeon work with the FN Action?

The Surgeon will only work with Remintgton 700-type actions and clones. The bottom metals shown above on the FN actions are CDI Precision.