• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AJ Brown

Eunclee

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2020
Hello,

I am new to this forum and bolt actions in general so please forgive my ignorance.
I purchased a bolt action some time ago and was told that the rifle may have been built by a gentleman named Alan Brown. I was hoping to send it in and have it examined by Alan himself but I cannot find his contact information anywhere. Would anyone happen to know if Alan Brown is still in the gunsmithing business?

Hello,

I am new to this forum and bolt actions in general so please forgive my ignorance.
I purchased a bolt action some time ago and was told that the rifle may have been built by a gentleman named Alan Brown. I was hoping to send it in and have it examined by Alan himself but I cannot find his contact information anywhere. Would anyone happen to know if Alan Brown is still in the gunsmithing business?
Id avoid Alan at this point, last time i heard he was backlogged 1-2 years and experiencing significant health challenges.

ETA: There’s plenty of competent, top notch builders here on the Hide that can help out. LRI, RWS Gunsmithing, KMW(Terry Cross), Short Action Customs, just to name a few)

Last edited:
Id avoid Alan at this point, last time i heard he was backlogged 1-2 years and experiencing significant health challenges.

ETA: There’s plenty of competent, top notch builders here on the Hide that can help out. LRI, RWS Gunsmithing, KMW(Terry Cross), Short Action Customs, just to name a few)
My apologies, I had no idea he was experiencing health issues.

My apologies, I had no idea he was experiencing health issues.
Nothing to be sorry about, just wanted you to be aware. Hit up LRI, their work speaks for itself; they can let you know of timelines.

He is associated with building rifles for the higher trained units of the US military.

A bunch were getting MK 13, 300 Win Mag, precision rifles built from him as his smithing on them makes them about as legit as can be had.

If you have one of his rifles that is likely a good thing.

Any pictures? What makes you think it is one of his?

He is associated with building rifles for the higher trained units of the US military.

A bunch were getting MK 13, 300 Win Mag, precision rifles built from him as his smithing on them makes them about as legit as can be had.

If you have one of his rifles that is likely a good thing.

Any pictures? What makes you think it is one of his?
If he is someone of that high a caliber, I don't think that my rifle was pieced together by Alan.
The rifle is far from being clone correct and looks to be a Mod 2/Mod 5 hybrid.

Another member on the forum commented that it looked to have been built by Alan Brown. I am not sure how someone can tell by simply looking at pictures, but I simply assume anyone on this forum is more knowledgeable than I am on bolt action rifles.

81E69613-A0A7-4A05-B711-E3179E61220F.jpeg

A13DBECE-E76A-4495-82DA-0028036AEC8C.jpeg

Attachments

• 340570B9-3559-4676-9AD8-12335A58631E.jpeg
    340570B9-3559-4676-9AD8-12335A58631E.jpeg
    500.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 04DC566D-B0E1-4967-9464-DE48A58B0E72.jpeg
    04DC566D-B0E1-4967-9464-DE48A58B0E72.jpeg
    695.8 KB · Views: 50
If he is someone of that high a caliber, I don't think that my rifle was pieced together by Alan.
The rifle is far from being clone correct and looks to be a Mod 2/Mod 5 hybrid.

Another member on the forum commented that it looked to have been built by Alan Brown. I am not sure how someone can tell by simply looking at pictures, but I simply assume anyone on this forum is more knowledgeable than I am on bolt action rifles.
Im aware of The following builders do mk13 clones:

LRI (built my Mod 5 a couple years ago)
Red Bull Armory
Robert Snyder (RWS)

Have you had it out of the chassis?

Should be some maker info/marking on the barrel. Perhaps on the underside?

Reactions: Eunclee
Here are some additional photos. Thanks for the help, guys.

Attachments

• 39B3120A-6801-4EE7-98E6-4EAF4EF3F8CF.jpeg
    39B3120A-6801-4EE7-98E6-4EAF4EF3F8CF.jpeg
    434.5 KB · Views: 86
  • C6FCA1FA-053F-4BA9-AE2E-24D7DEAA6404.jpeg
    C6FCA1FA-053F-4BA9-AE2E-24D7DEAA6404.jpeg
    433 KB · Views: 82
Hello,

How long ago did you buy the rifle? Do you have any idea when it was built?

And how does it shoot?

Interesting there’s no cartridge stamps anywhere. I could be wrong but I think some federal law or regulation mandates the cartridge be stamped onto the barrel for all firearms in the US.

I wouldnt worry about who built it. You might try calling the brown guy and reading him the serial number of the rifle to check and see if hed worked on it but if you only suspect thatbased off of an intenet comment then to heck with it.

If you are worried about it such as you dont know what chambering it is for (who doesnt engrave that on the barrel?!) I would pick up the phone and call a local gun smiths and ask about chamber casting and if they know what youre talking about I would take it to them to have them help identify what exactly it is.

If you find that there is a mark that says AJ or Alan Brown or something similar I can almost guarantee you that Alan DID NOT make it. Anyone who owns a rifle Alan built will understand.