• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AK 47 bullets not feeding into chamber

scout67

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2008
Bonham, TX
Just bought my first AK-47. Bullets not feeding into the chamber. Bullet point is getting wedge against the end of the barrel. I use these same bullets in my SKS. I don't know if this a bullet issue or receiver problem. I tried 3 different clips all did about the same. It would jam with full clip, half emtpty, or almost empty. I don't know much about AK-47s. Just bought it to play with. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: AK 47 bullets not feeding into chamber

a light ramp on the barrel will fix it if you are having the problem with every magazine. If it is only one magazine check the front part of the feed lips to make sure they are not bent down or in to far compared to another magazine. Wolf hollowpoint ammo will need a little ramp to cure.

Is it common to need a ramp into the barrel of an AK? Do most AK's have this problem? Is this an easy fix or should I just try different style ammo?

did you buy a Saiga, if so you need to install a bullet guide in the trunion or simply use 7,62x39 saiga mags, surefire makes a good 30 rounder and those have the bullet guide in the front of the mag.
hope this helps.
do not cut or ramp the barrel under any circumstances or any reasons, it will weaken the case at that spot and may cause case rupture.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take it back you got a defective AK </div></div>
If it ftf with all 3 magazines I'd take it back as well.

Not uncommon.

Take a file to the feed area where the tips are hanging up. In my experience about 30% of AKs need this done to them to feed properly. Once done it should run just fine.

Bullets? Clips? SKSs? Sounds like you got lots of experience with firearms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bullets? Clips? SKSs? Sounds like you got lots of experience with firearms. </div></div> Sounds like your an ass hole

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bullets? Clips? SKSs? Sounds like you got lots of experience with firearms. </div></div> Sounds like your an ass hole </div></div>

Got to love this place, isn't asshole one word????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not uncommon.

Take a file to the feed area where the tips are hanging up. In my experience about 30% of AKs need this done to them to feed properly. Once done it should run just fine.
Bullets? Clips? SKSs? Sounds like you got lots of experience with firearms. </div></div> 30% of AK's need this done to feed properly? did you mean.0003%? I have never seen an AK that had feeding problems that were not mag related. Most AK's i have had would feed empty brass with no problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: E3C3H3O3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RobertB</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Bullets? Clips? SKSs? Sounds like you got lots of experience with firearms. </div></div> Sounds like your an ass hole </div></div>

Got to love this place, isn't asshole one word???? </div></div>

I think he did it for emphasis. How dare you challenge his intellect. Who knows what expletive that's gonna earn you
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not uncommon.

Bullets? Clips? SKSs? Sounds like you got lots of experience with firearms. </div></div> 30% of AK's need this done to feed properly? did you mean.0003%? I have never seen an AK that had feeding problems that were not mag related. Most AK's i have had would feed empty brass with no problem. </div></div>

I've had multiple ARS rifles and multiple CAI rifles at the same time. Mark's guns ran fine (until they broke compliance part disconnectors in the 2k-2500 round range). The CAI rifles, some ran and some did not. A simple rounding off of the edge just in front of the mag prior to the barrel takes care of it.

CAI will also tell you on their hotshot SP ammo that you may have to do this mod to get your AK to feed it even if it feeds FMJ just fine.

This is not some closely guarded secret that AKs have simple to solve feeding problems.

Ok, since nobody is asking the detail questions I will.

What make AK is it? A Romanian WASR, Polytech Lengend, FEG SA-85, Egyptian Maadi, Yugo M70. There are a lot of options, and they vary wildly in component quality.

Who built it and on what receiver? Is it in an original receiver or a US made receiver.

What magazines are you using? Original steel AK mags, Pro-mag polys, Thermolds...

What ammunition are you trying to shoot? The AK, like the 1911 and a lot of mil weapons, was designed to feed and shoot FMJ's. Anything else like HP or soft tip will jam.

Attempt to chamber a round with the dust cover off. Does the tip of the round stop below or above the chamber? If its above, then jacking with the chamber throat is pointless, if its below any precision "filing or grinding" on the guide will just make it worse.

Fill in some details and you might get some friendly, educated advice. Oh, also, maybe try a forum that specializes in your platform. This is a precision shooters hangout, not many here have much use for an AK other than as a toy, or to indentify a tango.

Good luck.

Is it a saiga? Saiga are made in russia, it is against the law in russia for a firearm to use russian millitary mags, so the feed ramp is built into the mags on a saiga. If you want to use normal ak mags then you have to install a feed ramp in the reciever. Google saiga 762x39 and I think you will find the info you need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toolmaker64</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not uncommon.

Bullets? Clips? SKSs? Sounds like you got lots of experience with firearms. </div></div> 30% of AK's need this done to feed properly? did you mean.0003%? I have never seen an AK that had feeding problems that were not mag related. Most AK's i have had would feed empty brass with no problem. </div></div>

I've had multiple ARS rifles and multiple CAI rifles at the same time. Mark's guns ran fine (until they broke compliance part disconnectors in the 2k-2500 round range). The CAI rifles, some ran and some did not. A simple rounding off of the edge just in front of the mag prior to the barrel takes care of it.

CAI will also tell you on their hotshot SP ammo that you may have to do this mod to get your AK to feed it even if it feeds FMJ just fine.

This is not some closely guarded secret that AKs have simple to solve feeding problems. </div></div>I guess 30% would be an accurate number if the rifle was built by the ''drunken Monkeys'' over at Century arms.

Kenda, I am hoping to get some friendly educated advice. This is just a toy for me. I have several other rifles for precision shooting.
The AK I bought is a Romanian WASR-10/63. Made by C.N. Romarm S.A./Cugir. Imported by CAI of Georgia, UT. I know that is a cheap gun. I have tried the original steel mags that came with the gun and a 5 shot steel mag made in China. The ammo that I tried to shoot the other day was cheap Russian 123 gr HP. I have since cycled by hand some Wolf brand 154 gr SP and some surplus FMJ. They seem to work better. I will actually shot them this weekend to see how they work. The round is stopping just below the chamber.
I realize that this is a forum for people that enjoy precision shooting. I just bet that several of them have AK's of their own. This is just something cheap that should be fun to shoot. My SKS has never had a problem feeding any of these rounds.

If it is a Saiga, then simply install a bullet guide, or take it to a good smith and have him do it.

If it is a Century, or some other "junk" brand, I would take it back where it came from...

DeltaSierra

Okie dokie.

WASR should feed and fire FMJ's fine, but you'll pay hell and waste a lot of time trying to get it to eat other types. Romanians are not amongst the finer of AK's but should get better as they break in. If it will feed FMJ's, shoot the hell out of it and hope for the best.

Good luck.

If the bullet tips are catching on an edge I'd just file or dremel it down. Just don't get too ambitious with whatever tool you use and you should be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kenda, I am hoping to get some friendly educated advice. This is just a toy for me. I have several other rifles for precision shooting.
The AK I bought is a Romanian WASR-10/63. Made by C.N. Romarm S.A./Cugir. Imported by CAI of Georgia, UT. I know that is a cheap gun. I have tried the original steel mags that came with the gun and a 5 shot steel mag made in China. The ammo that I tried to shoot the other day was cheap Russian 123 gr HP. I have since cycled by hand some Wolf brand 154 gr SP and some surplus FMJ. They seem to work better. I will actually shot them this weekend to see how they work. The round is stopping just below the chamber.
I realize that this is a forum for people that enjoy precision shooting. I just bet that several of them have AK's of their own. This is just something cheap that should be fun to shoot. My SKS has never had a problem feeding any of these rounds. </div></div>
Reread my post please.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">a light ramp on the barrel will fix it if you are having the problem with every magazine. If it is only one magazine check the front part of the feed lips to make sure they are not bent down or in to far compared to another magazine. Wolf hollowpoint ammo will need a little ramp to cure.</div></div>
Pretty much answers your exact problem.
As to never make a ramp. I am not telling anyone to make a glock ramp on it. Get real. I said a "light" ramp. Just to break that hard straight edge. You are not hogging it out. This is an AK guys, not exactly a GAP or one of Chads rifles here. It will not harm the rifle. Let me see if I can find a pic of what I mean. Not my pic but can you see that little tiny bevel? Well that's all you need. So relax guys.
bevel3.jpg

Kenda, Thanks for all your advice. I will do my best to "shoot the hell out of it". I would like for it to shoot all kinds of bullets though. I buy whatever is cheap. So I think that I will try as Mechanic suggested. The small bevel looks easy enough. I won't get carried away. Just a little at a time, till it starts feeding. The chamber looks alot like like the one pictured minus the small bevel. It has a small chamfer(the silver area on the lower half) on it like the picture.
Mechanic, Thank You I believe you are correct. And I really appreciate you finding the picture. It looks just like mine.

I have a Romanian SAR1 and SAR2. Both were made in Romania and imported by Century Arms. Both feed FMJ rounds fine. I have fired HP through the SAR1, which is a 7.62x39. The HP rounds do hang up in it. I have not tried altering the feed ramp, but dont want to. This may work, if you really want to shoot HP rounds in it. I dont see the benefit of shooting those tiny HP rounds in the AK anyways. I have shot wild hogs with them and I dont think they expand. They are almost like the FMJ rounds (Same as the Federal SBTHP 168 Grain Macth Rounds in the .308). Unless you have a lot of HP ammo to fire off, I would just shoot the FMJ.

To those that posted about altering the feed ramp, thanks. I will keep this in mind, in case I decide to do this at a later time.

BTW, I have a buddy that hunts with his WASR. He said it feeds the SP rounds very well and they do a great job at making holes......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not uncommon.
Bullets? Clips? SKSs? Sounds like you got lots of experience with firearms. </div></div>

Arfcom/ak47.net's cuppeth runneth over.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2ndamendfan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it a saiga? Saiga are made in russia, it is against the law in russia for a firearm to use russian millitary mags, </div></div>

more like its illegal to import a complete firearm with the evile features intact.

On a related not-I have a Bryco that is hanging up when I feed it wadcutters, I had high hopes to rock the bullseye world....did I get a lemon?

Thanks to everyone that tried to be helpful. I appreciate the help. I will try making a small bevel for a feed ramp. And, thanks for the suggestions about AK forums. I may check them out in the future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to everyone that tried to be helpful. I appreciate the help. I will try making a small bevel for a feed ramp. And, thanks for the suggestions about AK forums. I may check them out in the future. </div></div>

More info (make of AK, conversion or not, picture of the breech etc) would get you more help, here or anywhere.

This site is more geared to precision rifles so many members aren't gonna bother torubleshooting potmetal and stampings. AK's can be everything from junk to quality, even the pic TheMechanic took the time to post looks like a suspect homemade feed ramp affixed to the trunion. Also if its a Saiga conversion the feed ramp has to be done after the fact, as Saiga's come into the country with none.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks to everyone that tried to be helpful. I appreciate the help. I will try making a small bevel for a feed ramp. And, thanks for the suggestions about AK forums. I may check them out in the future. </div></div>

Just join up and post the question on the AK Forums without hacking your rifle just to be sure. As stated, this forum is more for precision guns, and the AK is far from it so this isn't the best place for AK questions.

sobrbiker883 thanks for the input. If you had taken the time to read previous posts you would see that I had already the info about the gun.

I realize that this Snipershide. But this is not the first time AK's have been discussed. I am already a member of this site so I asked the question. I have received some helpful advice and I appreciate it. All the other comments waste my time and the time of the person who posts it. This is a toy for me and I simply ask for advice on how to make it more fun. I have already received advice on how to fix the problem. I will try that and hopefully correct the problem. If not I will figure out what to do from there.