• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ak 47 trouble

hue001t

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
jacksonville,NC/middletown CT
bought an AK formy mother right before i left home. While shooting it rounds would fail to load the bolt wouldent catch on it to drag it into the chamber. when using the magazine as grip and applying force pulling it back the rounds would load fine but once in a while the bolt would lock to the rear even with more rounds left in mag. Is this just a bad mag or possibly something else. sorry if i dont respond timely i deployed today and we happened to stop in Ireland to refuel so figured id ask thanx for any help!

Re: Ak 47 trouble

Where does the bolt+carrier gets stuck?
Is the bolt stuck on the round, or is the carrier stuck on the hammer?

when not applying pressure to the mag the bolt goes forward but dosent chamber a round. when applying pressure the bolt will lock to the rear occasionally, (every 5-10 shots)

no im not Irish lolim from NC as my profile says im in ireland for my plane to refuel.

How big is the gap between the mag catch and that little plate between the receiver and trigger guard, I think that it is too big, but first try other mags, then if that no fixie have someone weld a bead across the top of the mag release, then reprofile the mag catch, or grind to fit, paint to match.

how do you recommend fixing them? do you think ill have to gothru what 427 described? Im not as savvy as most on here about rifle as i've ony got into shooting less than a year ago but it seemed to me like it was the mag though. Hopefully that is it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of AK is it? </div></div>
Safe bet, a WASR 10
wink.gif

I have found that Ak's do not like to have pressure put on the mags such as using them as forward grips or resting the rifle on the mags especially if their is play in the mag/receiver. It frequently causes miss feeds unlike an AR15 where you have a deep mag well that prevents play. How does the rifle fire if you do not put pressure on the mags?

For the most part AK's are pretty loose and sloppy, but there is a couple criticle demensions, one is that little plate between the trigger guard and receiver, that little plate is releaved to an exact depth so the magazine will be at the proper angle for feeding, once that is correct I bet the commies fitted the mag release to coinside. The description of holding and pulling back and up on the mag so the weapon will function would indicate to me that the gap is too big between the mag release and magazine allowing the mag to droop down too much and cause the weapon to jam or not feed, please try other mags first, and if the problem continues either make the manufacture fix it or redneck neck fix it

+1 what 427cobra said, check another mag in it. if its a sloppy build you will have problems with it. look at the mag release plate from the side, if there is a gap between it and the receiver, you can try tightening up the plate rivits, take the top cover off,pull the recoil spring and the bolt carrier out,rest the heads of the rivits in the plate against a vice or something solid you can beat on then take a flat punch and hit the rivit on the inside of the receiver and it will tighten up the rivits, sometimes this works. if not log onto ar15.com and click on the ak47 button, on the top of the page, 3rd from the left, when it somes up, go to the trouble shooting column, post your problem and ask if there are any members close to you that can take a look at it. id help but im in PA

well as im gone now i wont be able to do this now the hands at home would be more lost than I. without pressure on the mag is when the problem occurs most often. w/o pressure it will shoot 1-2 rounds and then it wont feed. Ty for the responces at least now i know what i need to check for when i get home!
All is appreciated

I believe all perts were made by TAPCO USA. i bought this knowing nothing about AK 47's it was bought for my mother to use while im gone. Im not a fan so i really know nothing about them.

another possibility is that the bolt carrier is not in the rails on both sides if one side is out it could be sporadic like this also. and the comment about the bolt locking to the rear makes me think that it is catching on the rail on one side instead of being in the rails. it should not lock to the rear unless you are using yugo mags.

if it wasn't in the rails would it still cock fine and seem to function fine on a single shot? it only locked to the rear when we started to use mag as grip to pull into shoulder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hue001t</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I believe all perts were made by TAPCO USA. </div></div>

If your mags are made in the USA that could be your problem. I have not seen a USA made ak mag that functioned well very long.
You should use mags that are manufactured in countries that make AK's.

well if it was soft or hollow points that could be the prob sk feed ramps dont like anything buy fmj bullets unless they have been worked on

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How big is the gap between the mag catch and that little plate between the receiver and trigger guard, I think that it is too big, but first try other mags, then if that no fixie have someone weld a bead across the top of the mag release, then reprofile the mag catch, or grind to fit, paint to match. </div></div>

This is the correct answer. I have fixed dozens with that same problem.

Thanx ill most like try a mag first if that dosent work ill give it a try thanx so much! she is a pretty kool mom but its because shes watching my daughter single dad) while im deployed for 7 months not cause she likes AK's