• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing ak barrel got nicked by dremel tool

Larry Stine

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2002
Pa.
I feel like an idiot! I knicked my ak barrel with a dremel cut off wheel. cut is about 1/4" long and .02 deep and .02" wide. does anyone have any experience with what will happen when the barrel heats up. will it put things on a bind? Have the ultimak forearm and upper rail on the cut is about 1/3 of the way back from where the normal handguard would be. It is a yugo with us made barrel so there is no chrome lining.

Let me know what you guys think will happen.

Re: ak barrel got nicked by dremel tool

I know I won't know for sure whats gonna happen,I'm not worried about kaboom! Just needed some reasurance so I could sleep tonight. I'll let you guys know wht happens to accuracy and zero as barrel gets hot. Hopefully I'll get to go out shooting tomorrow.

Was thinking though will all the pins holding stuff together on an Ak I think I'm worrying about nothing. But worrying about stuff seems to be my favorite pastime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Accuracy is low to start with. So u won't notice any change
</div></div>
I don't understand why everybody says this. They aren't meant to be a precision rifle, I got that. But why do they say accuracy is low? Its a "battle rifle". I can consistently hit a 6" steel plate at 100 yards with mine (open-sights). Is that really all that bad? I'm sure I could easily put a large 2 or 4 legged animal down at 300 yards, isn't that enough? Anything more and I'd be using a precision rifle.

Well, what Im saying is, you have a 6 MOA rifle and a nick in the barrel wont make it a 10 MOA rifle.. if it was a .5 MOA rifle u may see some degradation.. But 6" at 100 can be done with a handgun..so it isnt going to degrade the accuracy of it at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, what Im saying is, you have a 6 MOA rifle and a nick in the barrel wont make it a 10 MOA rifle.. if it was a .5 MOA rifle u may see some degradation.. But 6" at 100 can be done with a handgun..so it isnt going to degrade the accuracy of it at all. </div></div>
Ahh, I see. It all makes sense now. (BTW, I'm sure its much better than 6 MOA, I"m just not that good with open sights).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CountryBoy19</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CDiPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, what Im saying is, you have a 6 MOA rifle and a nick in the barrel wont make it a 10 MOA rifle.. if it was a .5 MOA rifle u may see some degradation.. But 6" at 100 can be done with a handgun..so it isnt going to degrade the accuracy of it at all. </div></div>
Ahh, I see. It all makes sense now. (BTW, I'm sure its much better than 6 MOA, I"m just not that good with open sights). </div></div>

Either way, you won't notice any difference

The only place on Earth I would take a AK over a M4,AR15,M16 is in the jungle, you got a 80 dollar POS, enjoy it, shoot it, don't clean it, whatever, this is not something to loose sleep over, oh and yes I know you paid more than 80 bucks for it, but the fact is that is all it cost to make in the east block country of origin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Larry Stine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cut is about 1/4" long and .02 deep and .02" wide. does anyone have any experience with what will happen when the barrel heats up. will it put things on a bind? </div></div>

You should be ok.
But if you want peace of mind, tie it on bench and shoot few mags behind corner with trigger cord.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only place on Earth I would take a AK over a M4,AR15,M16 is in the jungle,</div></div>

Are you sure?
smile.gif

7_62_RK_95_TP.jpg

As far as I know, Sako was/is only manufacturer who tested <span style="text-decoration: underline">all</span> their assault rifle accuracy before delivery.
If not good enough, it went back to production line. I know a guy whos father was a test shooter in Sako and actually tested those rifles.
Typically Sako M95/M92 AK:s shoots 1½MOA groups@100 with standard Finnish Defence Force 8gram FMJ ammunition, many of them even better.

IMHO Sako materials, finishing, sights, barrels etc can not be compared to any other AK in the world. About same goes to its predecessor Valmet AK, made in Tourula plant.
Galil is about only exception, pretty close what comes to quality.
Valmet was btw only AK that passed Saudi sand tests without any mailfunctions. Saudis army was buying new AR:s then, I think it was late 70´s or early 80´s.

The rag heads take hammers to their barrel to straighten them out. I dont think the dremel will have any effect to it.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSG3K</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rag heads take hammers to their barrel to straighten them out. I dont think the dremel will have any effect to it.

Rich</div></div>

Rich and his PC response pretty much covers it!